Gransnet forums

AIBU

A clean Home!!!

(30 Posts)
dorsetpennt Wed 18-May-11 15:43:15

Before I go into any details I need to point out a few things, Firstly : I get on very well with my daughter in law and secondly I am NOT a neat freak.
However, the state of my son and daughter in laws home is positively unhygenic in fact a health hazard. Aggy and Kim would have a field day - I dread to think that if any swabs were taken what the result would show. They are both extremely untidy, always have been and since their toddler was born even worse. That is not so bad but their cleaning routine is haphazard if at all. The kitchen is greasy all over, the hob gets done once a week the floor washed when I visit, see again for cleaning the oven. It recently set off the smoke detectors with burning fat. Hoovering maybe once a week but around all the debris on the floor. The stairs and upstair 2 floors never. The bathroom maybe once a month. Bedrooms full of clothes spilling out of drawers - never hung in the wardrobe. They are expecting another baby I dread to think what will happen. They have a really nice home with nice things but it looks a tip. I try to help but have to tread carefully so as not to offend. It doesn't seem to worry them so why does it worry me? But they have a child and I'm entitled to worry for her health.

mrsredboots Mon 23-May-11 14:29:01

My mother once wondered aloud, when I was cleaning her sink, why it was that when your daughter does something like that, she is being helpful; when your mother does it (my grandmother was still alive back then), she is being interfering! I have often remembered that remark, and find it very true - and try not to interfere at my daughter's too much.

Mind you, she teased me ragged yesterday when she saw how we'd tidied up our front room for visitors! grin

Granieee Mon 23-May-11 19:45:31

Hello dorsetpennt
My daughter and son in law are also very untidy!!
They do have a cleaner who is lovely, she comes to us as well! (what a luxury) Their cleaner knows what she is going to each week and says that she loves it because she can see the difference she makes.
Every so often I go round just to blitz the place (normally the kitchen) I have bought the wonderful Lakeland oven cleaner (it only needed four attempts before it made a difference). They love it tidy, my SIL always says er has your mum been its lovely.
Like you I'm clean but I sew and knit and bake and I'm messy at all of them!
Your lovely family probably dont know where to start, a little help and then perhaps someone would take them on. If they were local to me, I would help you (we live in the North East) just to get them started (I dont do it as a job but I really enjoy getting things sorted!!
They will also find it easier to relax when things are a bit tidier. It wont ever be perfect and things will slip but nothing drastic.
Love and hugs

Valkyrie Sat 28-May-11 12:59:20

Helshea
Hear hear
My Mother-in-law used to visit and do the ironing - I loved her for it.
Otherwise I think that children have so many allergies these days because of all the cleanliness and cleaning products.
I blame the media and adverts which show super clean homes to make ordinary mortals feel inadequate.

nanamo Sat 28-May-11 19:14:10

I think its a generation thing, It used to really upset me but I just let them get on with it now. Honest it is so untidy at times at one of the daughters that she wouldnt know if she was burgled. In fact any burgler would take one look and think someone had got there before him.