Gransnet forums

AIBU

...to expect kids to behave in cafes/restaurants?

(38 Posts)
supernana Fri 20-May-11 12:17:33

Grandmacool...you've every right to be proud of your granddaughter. Over the course of twenty plus years I've dined on many occasions in restaurants together with my grandchildren. I can recall one occasion when as five and six year olds, two of them behaved in a restless manner [service was very slow]. The childrens' parents took them outside for a few moments, had a quiet but firm word with them and there was no problem thereafter. During an evening anniversary meal, three children out with their parents in a smart restaurant, played at hide and seek under and around our table. The parents seemed not to notice...and it was that couldn't-care-less attitude that made me see-red-livid! angry

Grandmacool Fri 20-May-11 11:26:40

My granddaughter is very well behaved while out for a meal and she always was. We take her out a lot and no matter where we go she is praised at being such a good girl. A week or so ago the waiter dropped 1Euro on the floor of the restaurant, my DGD found it and gave it to him, so he told her to keep it for being so honest.... I thought that was really nice of him and she was delighted.

BTW, she will be 9yo next month.

maxgran Fri 20-May-11 09:35:32

I used to shout at my children when they were little but have learned since i had grandchildren that shouting is just not necessary. It all gets frantic and they don't/can't listen to what you say.
I always lower my voice and make sure I have their attention. There is no point in yelling whilst they are running around oblivious.
I watch my daughter screeching at her children and wonder why she keeps doing it when it has no effect other than to make her more frantic.

milliej Thu 19-May-11 20:45:14

my friend and I were sitting in a cafe enjoying a chat and cup of tea on Monday when two young women came in with two kiddies. The noise, screaming, chucking things on the floor, we could hardly hear ourselves. I heard a "shhh don't be so noisy" once or twice....but really....some parents (mothers!) just don't seem to have any control over their children. Why do they shout and scream so?
Did it do us any harm being 'seen and not heard'?

HildaW Thu 19-May-11 20:36:13

Oh yes Sephrenia........................that could prove jolly useful!

Sephrenia Thu 19-May-11 20:29:04

I've lost count of the times that I've walked out of a cafe or restaurant when my children couldn't behave. I simply wouldn't inflict my child's bad behaviour on anyone so when I see parents letting their precious little darlings run around without even thinking of stopping them, it makes me look like I've just sucked a bag of lemons.

I shouldn't judge I know, but I do anyway. How hard is it to tell your children to behave themselves or tell them off if they don't?

<wonders if there should be an emoticon for 'that' face>

supernana Thu 19-May-11 17:33:39

HildaW...yes, when parents do their best to control an unruly child to no avail, I do sympathise as it can be embarrassing for them - but I can get very cross with the few who sit back, smile, enjoy their meal and have no consideration for those who find the antics of their own little darlin' downright annoying.

HildaW Thu 19-May-11 17:22:38

MaxGran.....agree there..its those parents who sit their chattering to each other and let the children just get on with what ever they like. We can all sympathise and turn a deaf ear when a child is being a pain despite Mum or Dad's best efforts. Its the type who dont try or even think their little darling is being so very very creative with their food that gets me all 'Cats bottomish'.....and I hope I never see that phrase in print again!

maxgran Thu 19-May-11 16:48:43

I doubt children are better behaved in Italy because staff make a fuss of them ?!
If they are well behaved its because they know its expected of them and they have been taught to be that way by their parents.
The parents talked about on this thread are obviously NOT delivering any intructions to their kids.

Pandemonia Thu 19-May-11 15:13:29

Have you considered that the good behaviour observed in France and Italy may stem from the fact that children are actually welcomed in cafes and restaurants? Only while I agree that nobody likes to dine in the company of horrendously behaved children, the arrival of any small children in some cafes brings on an instant outbreak of Cat's Bottom Imitation Syndrome. In Italy, in particular, the staff will make a fuss of children and the parents are invariably relaxed and not constantly delivering a fusillade of instructions to their children.

GoldenGran Thu 19-May-11 15:08:12

I think it is because children in France and Italy are treated as part of the family, not as the most important part. Where as in this country we are living in an over child-focussed world. You only have to watch some Mothers with there gigantic chariots, pushing their way through people as though they and their little princes or princesses are the only ones that count. I have just re-read this- I am a very benign reasonable Granny who adores her Grandchildren, not a grumpy old grouch, but some things do bug me!

mollie Thu 19-May-11 15:04:25

I fully agree Natalie...it is noticeable over here. I've walked out of restaurants before ordering for just this reason! It's really selfish of the parents not to regard other people around them... I watched a little boy put stones into several water features and try to pull the wiring out in the outdoor section of a local garden centre while mum and friend sat drinking coffee ... I mentioned this to a member of staff who brought the boy back to his mum and got an earful for her efforts...angry

Natalie Thu 19-May-11 14:06:19

Why do so many young mums in this country think it's OK to let their kids scream, race around, or throw objects (sometimes all of these) in cafes and restaurants? - in effect treating the place like a play area or an extension of their own living room, regardless of other people?
In one of our local "chain" coffee places, mums either don't seem to notice or care that their children are using the floor as a slide, and taking up handfuls of gravel from the planters and throwing it around the place, regardless of the potential for other people tripping, falling, or spilling hot drinks.
[As in the earlier debate here about teaching proper use of cutlery], no child above toddler age is too young to learn consideration for other human beings.
It's interesting that children in France and Italy, and Asian children in the UK, behave beautifully while eating out with their families.