Gransnet forums

AIBU

Inventions of the Devil

(92 Posts)
absentgrana Thu 14-Jul-11 15:41:44

AIBU to suggest that, with the exception of weapons of mass destruction, chewing gum is the worst thing ever invented?

Divawithattitude Thu 14-Jul-11 16:59:22

Hmmmmm, the worst thing EVER invented...............I would have to think about that, I feel like that about Gin, but that is a very personal hate, and Yorkshire Terriers, and Expresso Coffee.

Divawithattitude Thu 14-Jul-11 17:00:00

Although I have to ay that I am a dog lover and I don't really think that yorkies were invented by the devil!!

JessM Thu 14-Jul-11 17:11:46

How about those voovoozelas or what ever they are called - those noisy gas powered hooters that were so popular in the S African world cup.
Please let them be banned from the Olympics!

susiecb Thu 14-Jul-11 17:31:43

My family I tired of me saying that beetroot and parsnips are the Devil's Vegetables. As for chewing gum my absolute pet hate - filthy transatlantic habitsmile

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-11 18:30:02

One of those vuvuzuelas (actually a slightly more refained clone) is very handy for hooting up the chimney to a blasted pigeon that sits up there hooting distractedly to itself.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 18:31:23

Elegran, that is sooo funny! grin

HildaW Thu 14-Jul-11 18:32:11

Ele...............I have a wonderful vision of you now...........mid blast on the Vuvuzela....and surprised pigeon flying away...thanks for that! smile

HildaW Thu 14-Jul-11 18:34:10

as to inventions of the devil.......trouser presses.....my darling husband had one when he was in suits all day........he had bought it long before we met so I had not been around to frown.....it was just so embarrrasing when folks caught sight of it.....when we moved house, the removal men were beside themselves with sniggers!

JessM Thu 14-Jul-11 18:50:42

Revenge is a dish best served even more loudly ....
jerusalem artichokes are the devil's veg. They have the most spectacular effect on intestinal gas. Only to be challenged by onions that have been harvested prematurely.

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-11 19:35:48

Unfortunately, the pigeon is learning that nothing awful follows the vuvuzuela blast, so he/she just moves along the roof for a bit, then returns to the nice warm chimney perch.

Hattie64 Thu 14-Jul-11 19:38:03

Carrots

JessM Thu 14-Jul-11 19:41:42

Some birds learn to imitate sounds like that....
Not pigeons i think. But it would be grim if your local starling population all started vuvuing

greenmossgiel Thu 14-Jul-11 19:41:53

Coat hangers - they mate in the wardrobe and hang on to each other in all sorts of positions. I hate them with a passion. I know they may be a necessary evil, but......grin!

Littlelegs Thu 14-Jul-11 20:24:50

Packaging that is too tight around things like biscuits - you finally open the packet and half of the biscuits are in pieces sad

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 20:27:09

We haven't got many starlings round here anymore Jess. Or sparrows. sad Used to have loads.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 20:29:18

Carrots???!!! Why Hattie? grin

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-11 20:36:22

Hooting starlings? The magpies and crows are bad enough in the early morning, and the seagulls stamping around on the flat bit of the roof in their tackety boots.

JessM Thu 14-Jul-11 20:37:30

We have loads of sparrow and starlings. Could be though that due to DH's bird feeding habit we have the entire population of the borough hanging out round here. He has bird feeders in the front and in the back and we have different species front and back.
Both: goldfinches, sparrows, starlings
Front: greenfinches, chaffinches, wagtails, wood pigeons, collared doves, crows, magpies and more recently town pigeons and jackdaws
Back: dunnocks, blue tits , greater spotted woodpeckers and occasionally in the winter redpolls and siskins. and the occasional sparrowhawk (cant imagine why, can you)
It is a tribute to his diligent filling of feeders. (he gets the pond and the bird feeders, i do the garden)

Annika Thu 14-Jul-11 20:37:37

Yes Hattie why carrots Ive got loads growing in the garden
Back to the subject in hand... Inventions of the Devil in one word ... Wasps

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 20:40:12

Oh, You're just like me Jess. DH does the bird feeder and the bird bath. I do the garden.

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 20:40:44

Wow! Siskins! envy

jangly Thu 14-Jul-11 20:42:12

Why can't I think of anything to put....

grizzle

Elegran Thu 14-Jul-11 20:46:36

Smart shoes that torture the feet, jangly (bauchles are better)

yogagran Thu 14-Jul-11 21:46:41

Coffee in huge paper or even worse, polystyrene cups