Gransnet forums

AIBU

What's DH's most annoying habit(s)?

(174 Posts)
greenmossgiel Tue 16-Aug-11 14:13:44

I find that I'm becoming quite intolerant of DH's wagging his foot about when he's sitting down! Also he whistles under his breath. There are a few other things, but can't put them on here....Anyone else got anything to add (or is it just me)? hmm

Libradi Tue 16-Aug-11 16:53:34

Chewing gum! Admittedly I'm please he's chewing nicotine gum and not smoking but its one of my pet hates and I can't say a word because he's done so well giving up the cigs.

janreb Tue 16-Aug-11 18:03:46

Deciding that he has something to do just as I dish up a meal.
Humming!!!!
Talking to the tv more than he talks to me.
Going off to sleep when I'm speaking.
Hogging the remote AND suddenly switching bits of programmes off if he doesn't like what they are saying so when he does put it back on you haven't got a clue what's going on. Mind you he isn't as bad as my friend's husband who actually took their remote to the chip shop with him!
He forgets words (I know he can't help that) but at this moment he is getting very annoyed with me because he is trying to explain to me who "thing's son" is. If anyone has any idea who thingy is - apparently "that old man" please do let me know.
Getting up early in the morning - and being cheerful about it. You'd think by now he would have learnt to just leave me alone until I come round.
I, of course, do not have any annoying habits!

joshsnan Tue 16-Aug-11 18:40:44

Janreb-I know exactly what you mean about the morning thing..my husband gets up every morning whistling and singing, I don't do mornings, I like to be left to come round on my own (unless my DGS is here of course) thought that it was only me that was not very sociable in a morning.

GoldenGran Tue 16-Aug-11 18:53:51

oh dear one more- asking me a question and then walking out of the room before i have a chance to answer.

harrigran Tue 16-Aug-11 19:04:20

Oh yes janreb I can relate to the going off to sleep while I am talking. My OG used to do it over the phone when he rang to say goodnight (worked away for 16 years) after a few minutes I could hear him snorting and I used to put the phone down. His mobile phone bills must have been enormous but would never admit to falling asleep.

artygran Tue 16-Aug-11 19:34:50

Shouting at politicians on the television;
insisting he is not as deaf as a post because he is too vain to wear a hearing aid;
singing the wrong words to songs because he can't remember the right ones;
being unfailingly positive;
insisting he doesn't like malt whisky - and then drinking mine!

pompa Tue 16-Aug-11 20:20:37

Mrs. P insisted I was going deaf, so I eventually gave in to the nagging and went for a hearing test - it was near perfect - now she says I ignore her - how can I win sad

greenmossgiel Tue 16-Aug-11 20:24:44

You can't win, pompa - stop trying! grin

Nanban Tue 16-Aug-11 20:30:11

I've just caught up with the Foot Waggle - it's something men do - I stuck a rug under mine on the grounds he was wearing the carpet out! Then there's the 'dipping head' - you know the one where they are pretending to be awake but actually nod off - dip, dip, dip ooops I'm awake, dip, dip, dip .... then of course, there's oh so many other things - we had trouble with retirement when He thought his company necessary when My friends came around - no longer.

pompa Tue 16-Aug-11 20:35:38

Mrs. P has accepted that I need an after dinner nap, but why does she keep asking me if I'm asleep whenever she comes in the room. confused I would be except for her keep asking me !. Bit like restaurant staff that wait until you have a mouthful of food to ask "is everything OK?"

yogagran Tue 16-Aug-11 20:58:15

Talking to me when I'm on the phone to someone, asking me who it is and then telling me what I should be asking them. I know most of us can multi-task but trying to listen to one person while on the phone to another is really quite challenging

crimson Tue 16-Aug-11 22:05:26

Sitting in the car with the engine running while I'm going round the house checking that we haven't forgotten anything, left any windows open, locked all doors etc. Doesn't do it since I went absolutely ballistic one day about it.

grannyactivist Tue 16-Aug-11 22:12:19

Not his fault but it's really annoying that people keep telling me how amazingly 'lucky' I am to have such a wonderful husband. No one ever seems to tell him he's lucky to have me for a wife! (On the other hand I do have to admit that his faults are probably fewer than mine.) blush

janreb Wed 17-Aug-11 09:14:05

Joshsnan - I don't do mornings either, bliss for me was when I worked nights and was going off to bed at 8am.
I put this question to my friend last night and her reply was "breathes".!!!

crimson Wed 17-Aug-11 09:34:53

I'm not in a bad mood in the morning..but I just don't want to talk to anyone or [this is the worst thing the S.O. did] have the telly on. As soon as I get to work I'm fine. He used to go home on Sunday night, but then decided to stay over till Monday morning [his decision, not mine]. Then took early retirement and kept going on about how 'this life how life should be' as I was getting up and going to work every day. That made me even more grumpy...

Grumpyoldwoman Wed 17-Aug-11 09:46:04

Crimson......I too HAVE to LOOK at OG when he tells me something and at react to what he is saying.

He stays in bed until mid afternoon most days ...then starts to read out the days news to me from his laptop when he gets up........and gets really annoyed if I ''already know''.......... I have been up since 8 am and have had TV & radio on.

(he does stay in bed due to his condition...well that's his excuse) !!

Joan Wed 17-Aug-11 11:39:13

Oh Gawd - where do I start?

Jeany Wed 17-Aug-11 13:00:43

Being vague. The other day I went out for an hour and on my return hubby said daughter had phoned and asked if we could have the dog for an hour or two as she had an infection. Or he thought maybe she said her house had an infection. He wasn't sure and became irritated when I, concerned, tried to clarify the situation. Later on daughter phoned again and said she had a house inspection. It's funny in a way but it goes on a lot and drives me mad but then if I get irritated hubby asks why I'm 'being nasty'.

northerngran Wed 17-Aug-11 14:03:52

Jeany - I am so with you. Mine asks me something and I reply, Then he asks again... By the time he asks me the exact same thing for the tenth time I am at the end of my tether and usually respond with the exact same answer but said so slowly and loudly that he cannot help but take note. And then he wants to know why i'm being patronising!! Can't win. Lucky I'm rather fond of him

maxgran Wed 17-Aug-11 14:14:51

Telling me the same story/tale a thousand times !! I often say 'Yes,.. I know you have told me this before' - but he carries on anyway !

Now you can pause live TV - he does it all the time so he can give me his opinion on whatever the program is about !! a one hour program sometimes a bloody 2 hours to watch !!

Commenting on the neighbours somings & goings.. If an unrecognised car pulls into the Close - he noseys out the window to see which house its going to and comments on it all.. I AM NOT INTERESTED !!

notagranyet Thu 18-Aug-11 16:45:26

Ranting about politicians, till I tell him he's had his daily rant and he shuts up for about half an hour then starts again.
Asking me every day what time supper is when I'm in the middle of cooking (it's always at 7.00 pm unless I tell him otherwise).
Coughing/snoring in my ear.
Loads more but I know I annoy him too. Fortunately we have enough space in our bungalow that we can escape each other.

Gally Thu 18-Aug-11 17:31:54

Oh Yes, where to start?
The knee jiggling which vibrates the chair/table;
Telling me 'just going to post a letter' - the letter box is outside the house;
'just going to the loo' as if I care;
Bathroom etiquette - will not elaborate but it drives me up the wall - I am often to be heard muttering 'all I was born to do is clean effing toilets';
snoring and waking himself up and saying 'was that me?';
swearing at politicians;
talking over me all the time;
talking over the essential piece of news I wanted to listen to;
'Ooh, I still like that house/car/programme/whatever' as if I didn't know about it 1000 times already;
Asking 'so what have we bought X for a present - as if he's ever bought anyone a present!;
saying 'yes I know I'm going deaf' but doing nothing about it so I have to shout at him in a very dramatic way ;
tidying up i.e. shoving everything under the sofa or into a cupboard;
following me around shops like a b....y shadow;
going grumpy when I go out on my own - it's ok if he goes out though!
AND LOTS MORE - but he really is a lovely man and all my friends say 'ooooh Mr Gally is sooo lovely, gentle and kind' and so he is but he still manages to get on my nerves.
Thank you - that's made me feel a great deal better getting that lot off my chestgrin

Faye Thu 18-Aug-11 17:53:06

Streuth grannies, your OGs sound bloody irritating!!!
That's Aussie slang for....my goodness grannies, your DHs sound a trifle annoying!!!

Heather Thu 18-Aug-11 18:28:17

hee hee Faye, I've been reading all these and thanking my stars (again!) for my divorce!!!!!!
NOthing or NO-one could convince me to do more than speak to a man again - and even that's ONLY when I have to ... bus driver, shop assistant etc. YUK!

Annobel Thu 18-Aug-11 18:48:13

Hear, hear, Heather. Lets raise a wine to our single status.