Gransnet forums

AIBU

Clichés

(94 Posts)
absentgrana Mon 12-Sep-11 12:55:16

I just noticed the announcement of an actor's death "after a long battle with cancer". I realise that cancer is a horrible disease and have seen many family members and dear friends die from it – as well as some who have survived it. I realise too that one's attitude towards an illness and its treatment can play a role in its eventual outcome. But why is it always a battle against cancer, implying, presumably, that those who have succumbed to this wretched scourge just didn't "fight" hard enough?

JessM Wed 14-Sep-11 11:55:30

Attack is over-popular.
Architects attack shoebox homes, it declares on the BBC website today. I have a vision of a gang of architects, in their slightly bohemian take on business wear, armed with am array of drawing instruments, storming the nearest Barratt site.

Joan Wed 14-Sep-11 12:00:44

I agree about decimated, Mamie. Our local rag printed something like: ' The street was decimated by the floods - 75% of homes were destroyed.'

Grrrrrrrrrrr

supernana Wed 14-Sep-11 12:09:35

...and how about the use of the word 'pressurised'? "He was pressurised to do..." Wow! That must have been so painful. It suggests that a tube was inserted into an orrifice and air pumped in. Surely, he was pressured?

GoldenGran Wed 14-Sep-11 12:15:08

Gutted and gobsmacked should be banned.Am now not sure that they are cliches, but they are very irritating.

supernana Wed 14-Sep-11 12:23:02

GoldenGran I loathe both expressions. I'm irritated by...'I'll give you a bell' and 'meet you at yours'...how sloppy is that?

Granny23 Wed 14-Sep-11 13:30:46

Jess - love your I have a vision of a gang of architects, in their slightly bohemian take on business wear, armed with am array of drawing instruments, storming the nearest Barratt site. - very good observation.

susiecb Wed 14-Sep-11 15:43:41

Iconic is my one for the day. I have just seen an advertisement in Truro for four star hotel describing itself as iconic - what is iconic about a four star hotel? Now 7 star that might be - but I'm not likely to stay there I thinksmile

Annobel Wed 14-Sep-11 16:01:31

During the general election campaign last year, our local paper had the headline:
'Candidates grilled on bypass.' A pleasing picture, I must say, but risky use of metaphor. Let's get rid of words like 'grill' and, one of my pet hates, 'quizzed' in headlines.

absentgrana Wed 14-Sep-11 16:10:29

Annobel Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

JessM Wed 14-Sep-11 16:16:50

LOL susieb
I always feel sorry for the battered cod myself, but not for the stoned dates.

absentgrana Wed 14-Sep-11 16:23:45

JessM What about olives – stoned and stuffed?

GoldenGran Wed 14-Sep-11 17:01:06

Or crushed nuts. (for top of icecream!)

crimson Wed 14-Sep-11 17:16:54

Annobel/absentgrana..prize for funniest comment/s on a thread this year I think!

JessM Wed 14-Sep-11 17:33:28

ow! GG
Am wondering how exactly the breadcrumbs on the outside of the M and S chicken portions are "farmhouse". Farmhouse recipe? Made by hand in a farmhouse? Crumbled farmhouse maybe?

Annobel Wed 14-Sep-11 18:01:26

I'm honoured, Crimson. I will keep trying grin.

Joan Thu 15-Sep-11 02:43:22

susiecb said:

Iconic is my one for the day. I have just seen an advertisement in Truro for four star hotel describing itself as iconic - what is iconic about a four star hotel?

In my 50s I did a language course at Queensland university, Australia. One unit was linguistics, and the professor asked the students what an icon really was. I said it was an orthodox religious painting. Well, this was a large lecture hall with over a hundred students, most of whom gave me, the daft old bat in the corner, a pitying look, but where shocked to find I was right.

The word has already lost its original meaning and few young 'uns know it.

Stansgran Thu 15-Sep-11 13:13:20

At home we love operations which are botched and a tornado invariably wreaks havoc. and do women never become pregnant?-they always fall pregnant as if they are stumbling round looking for......

bigmomma Thu 15-Sep-11 14:27:20

My favourite (?) is something I heard in a TV weather forecast. Clouds were going to "grind to a halt". Yes, truly. That's what he said!

Annobel Thu 15-Sep-11 16:32:39

bigmomma: 'Clouds grinding' - isn't that what makes the thunder claps?

yearofthetiger Thu 15-Sep-11 21:03:02

Awesome!

Twobabes Thu 15-Sep-11 22:47:56

smile

Faye Fri 16-Sep-11 08:09:44

I totally agree with all of the above, but what makes me really really cringe is when my children's generation say 'we are pregnant.' Have I missed something? confused Since when do men become pregnant?

Cendrillon Fri 16-Sep-11 14:48:00

Oh great! I've been banging on about expensive cut flowers in cellophane/ teddies littering the streets ever since Di copped it. And on THAT subject ..had I, when I was a single mum, been hurtling round Paris in a fast car; not wearing a seat belt; with a known playboy; how many would have said, 'what an irresponsible young woman, she got her come uppance!' Hmm...

glammanana Fri 16-Sep-11 15:07:44

What brought that on girl's ?

supernana Fri 16-Sep-11 16:07:01

...and there's "hand battered fish..." poor thing!