Gransnet forums

AIBU

Guilty as charged

(40 Posts)
absentgrana Tue 03-Jan-12 14:48:18

Gary Dobson and David Norris have just been found guilty of murdering Stephen Lawrence. AIBU to feel a level of satisfaction about this news?

Greatnan Wed 04-Jan-12 18:42:33

I am a tad sceptical about the pronouncements from the Met - it will take more than their self-congratulations to convince me that all the 'rotten apples' have disappeared from this particular barrel.
I am not a fan of the Daily Mail, but I think they did a good job in this case, especially when they openly accused all five of being murderers and challenged them to sue.

Carol Wed 04-Jan-12 22:14:20

Yes, it sticks in my throat to congratulate the Mail but Paul Dacre took the right decision all those years ago, and they have certainly helped to keep the case in the headlines.

crimson Wed 04-Jan-12 22:15:49

Why oh why has it taken so long?

jingl Wed 04-Jan-12 22:23:07

Yes Greatnan. I've never forgotten that newspaper front page. I thought at the time, "they won't get away with it now". hmm

But they didn't in the end. Well, two of 'em anyway.

Greatnan Thu 05-Jan-12 00:21:27

We will just have to hope that Dobson spills the beans to try to get some reduction in his sentence. At least the judge imposed the maximum that he could, but I am very doubtful that any amout of time inside will serve to alter the mind-set of these people. They will just feel even more justified in their xenophobia.
It could also be that the father of the Acourts' rule of terror is over and others who were too frightened when he had the Met in his pocket may now come forward with new evidenence.

lizzieb Thu 05-Jan-12 11:28:03

Dobson and Norris won't necessarily be released at their minimum recommended term. The Parole Board will review their suitability for release as they come up to their minimum term recommended by the trial Judge. The Parole Board will consider many risk assessments from many agencies within the Criminal Justice System who have worked with them over the years, and if there is any suggestion they continue to pose a risk, or if they have not changed their racist views, then they will not be released. Some Lifers go many years over their tariff. Additionally, when/if they are eventually released, they will be subject to constant review and if they put a foot wrong, they are liable to recall for an indeterminate period. This monitoring continues for the rest of their lives.

And yes, good on today's Daily Mirror for printing photos and naming the two Acourts, and Luke Knight.

Dee Thu 05-Jan-12 14:05:27

My heart was in my mouth listening to Doreen Lawrence outside the court. I hadn't allowed myself to think they'd be found guilty.
My mixed race son is 28 now and he's just become a dad. I am so grateful that I managed to raise him to this age in one piece, there were times when he was out and about as a teenager when I worried so much.
Looking at my new grand daughter I will always give thanks and think of Doreen.
My daughter joined the Metropolitan Police 3 years ago. I had very mixed feelings about that but I raised my children to think for themselves and make their own choices, so of course I have to support the choices they make.
I have to say her experiences in the job have been largely positive and she works with some really great coppers.
She's had no discrimination on grounds of race or sex though she does get teased about being a Northerner!
The 'old sweats' of the 80s and 90s are retiring and there's new breed post McPherson. There'll always be a few bad apples though.

jingl Thu 05-Jan-12 15:28:32

Good that your DD is doing so well in the Met Dee, and how she says things have changed. smile

I think we all worry about young grown up sons, no matter what colour they happen to be. I know I used to lie awake listening for him when mine used to cycle home through the town, after getting off the late night train. Used to imagine all kinds of stuff.

rozzo55 Thu 05-Jan-12 16:53:57

Good to read your comments lizzieb. No we won't eradicate racism, but I hope the people who gave the Met information [ignored] at the time of Stephen's murder are still around & will be encouraged to speak up again now.

Oldgreymare Thu 05-Jan-12 17:46:57

I was almost too afraid to listen out for the verdicts, and so pleased when Dobson and Norris were found guilty, at last.
Sadly, it is too much to assume that the evil that is racism has been eradicated when footballers, so admired by today's youth, use extreme racist remarks almost as a matter of course.

Nanban Thu 05-Jan-12 20:36:02

For sure they were juveniles when killing, but they have lived their lives and lied and avoided justice, and failed to tell on whoever else was with them as adults, so why not added punishment as adults for those crimes.

JO4 Thu 23-Aug-12 11:34:16

Update here

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 11:38:39

Thank you, jingle, excellent news.

j08 Mon 24-Jun-13 09:39:59

David Cameron tweeted this this morning:

David Cameron ‏@David_Cameron 47m

I'm deeply concerned by reports that police wanted to smear the family of Stephen Lawrence. The Met must investigate immediately

I quite agree with him! Just how bad were the Met police back then?!