Gransnet forums

AIBU

Radio Listeners!

(106 Posts)
mrshat Mon 26-Mar-12 17:04:13

I listen to Radio 2 when at home about the house. I enjoy the Jeremy Vine programme but he is away quite lot. 'Locum' presenters are usually OK but Vanessa Feltz (on this week) really upsets me. Does anyone else find her 'style' quite rude or is it just me? confused

mrshat Tue 26-Jun-12 14:30:40

No Nanban heard him speak about it on Sunday last and it is one to go on my list.

PatriciaC Wed 04-Jul-12 14:42:43

Haven't listened to this slot since Jimmy Young was replaced by the arrogant Jeremy Vine. After listening to Jeremy speak about his taking over from Jimmy Young when interviewed about his biography, I personally wouldn't waste my money even if it was going for tuppence halfpenny in a charity shop.

merlotgran Wed 04-Jul-12 19:13:36

I once gave a lift to new work colleague who had just returned to the UK from Zimbabwe having emigrated there in the sixties. I turned the car radio. My passenger couldn't believe he'd gone to Zimbabwe, farmed there for years, been chucked out by Mugabe, come back with nothing.....and JY was still doing his prog.

norfolkgal Fri 06-Jul-12 09:11:31

When at home I tune into 708 on the TV. It's a Radio 4 Extra and has all sorts of plays and quizes on all day and through the night.

Anagram Wed 01-Aug-12 13:10:42

Resurrected this thread to have a moan about Radio 2 in the morning when I'm going to work in the car. I like Ken Bruce, and can just about bear Zoe Ball when she stands in for him - but what's going on at the moment? Has the BBC gone totally Olympics mad? I don't know who's before 10 but it's mostly talk and waffle, Olympic or sport related, and then after 10 it's the awful Claudia Winkelman....
At least they could have left the radio stations alone! hmm

whenim64 Wed 01-Aug-12 13:20:00

That's handy to know norfolk. Thanks smile

Anagram Wed 01-Aug-12 13:33:04

Quite.

merlotgran Wed 01-Aug-12 18:04:43

I've decided to give up on Radio 2 until things get back to normal.

Nonu Wed 01-Aug-12 18:37:26

I Cannot abide Ken Bruce ,

Anagram Wed 01-Aug-12 18:39:16

Each to their own, Nonu! wink
I expect you like Chris Moyles? grin

crimson Wed 01-Aug-12 18:56:24

I've only just discovered Radio 6 and it's lovely to hear John Peels son, Tom doing the afternoon slot. He's so like his dad [and, like him, plays great music]. I was flicking through channels when my decorator was here and said he could play music as loud as he liked as long as I liked it as well, and there it was. A eureka moment [light bulb emoticon].....

Rosiebee Wed 08-Aug-12 14:44:25

Just counted up - 9 radios in the house, all tuned to Radio 4. That's scary! Plus the one in the car. Plus a wind up radio for holidays. They do have Radio 5 tuned in as well for sport on a Saturday. I'm not a really great sports fan, but it reminds me of listening to the football scores with my dear old dad. Plus the commentators on R5 are so enthusiastic and excitable, they just make me laugh.
I had to listen to our local radio in the car recently to keep up with traffic problems. The presenters were dire and sounded as if they were talking to a bunch of young children and every programme seemed to have a phone-in. Really hate phone-ins. R4 isn't perfect but at least they presume that their audience is reasonably intelligent. Long Live Radio! smile

grrrranny Fri 10-Aug-12 14:20:22

crimson thanks for pointing me to 6 Radio. Had never tried it before and what a pleasant surprise. I can't stand Jeremy Vine or Steve Wright, like Mayo and Kermode on a Friday afternoon on 5 but they keep having holidays and Radio 4 is a bit patchy in quality. I'll certainly keep 6 as an option if this afternoon's selection of music is representative.

crimson Fri 10-Aug-12 14:32:09

I know; can't believe I didn't know it existed! Such a great selection of music. They had great fun the other week with people having to choose tracks that were the same length as Olympic records. Have you heard Tom yet? not been listening recently because of the Olympics but I'll be tuned in again next week grin. Still trying to find it on my car radio, though.

grrrranny Fri 10-Aug-12 14:41:16

Not heard Tom yet but see he is on later today. I think it is only on digital radio - I'm listening on netbook but must go shopping soon and won't get it in car as radio not digital - perhaps why you can't get it either. Is it not the station they were going to axe but people protested? I can see why now.

dorsetpennt Sat 11-Aug-12 13:34:37

Radio 4 and Radio 4extra - I prefer the spoken voice rather then non-stop music, Classic FM being the exception. I love the afternoon plays, radio documentaries and of course 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue type of program. Comedy drama I hate - always listen to the Archers Omnibus on Sunday mornings. Have always had my dial firmly on Radio 4 and now find my son and his wife are doing the same.

JO4 Sat 11-Aug-12 14:19:59

I ♥ Ken Bruce.

Anagram Sat 11-Aug-12 15:07:38

Me too, jingl! He's a ★

Annobel Sat 11-Aug-12 15:11:46

5Live has some excellent presenters such as Victoria Derbyshire and Shelagh Fogarty. Nicky Campbell is unbearably OTT at times, especially now when he's broadcasting from the Olympic Park - that's my cue to go over to R4.

Nonu Sat 11-Aug-12 16:13:31

My husband loves radio 5 in the mornings when he is eating his breakfast . I listen to it with him on sat. and sun. mornings [ smile]

kittylester Sat 11-Aug-12 16:21:22

I love 5live in the mornings but I can't stand Richard Bacon so listen to Steve Wright on Radio 2. He seems to have been part of my life for ever - though not quite as long as Johnny Walker who did the Breakfast Show (I think) when we first got married!

Annobel Sat 11-Aug-12 16:30:35

I agree, kitty, Richard Bacon is obnoxious and has an overly high opinion of himself.

shysal Sat 11-Aug-12 17:05:49

I am embarrassed to say I am a Radio 1 fan. I listen to some Radio 4 , but for background I like current music. Although Chris Moyles can be sexist, I enjoy his show and will miss him when he leaves to play Herod in Jesus Christ Superstar. Amongst others I like Greg James, Scott Mills, Vernon Kay and Sara Cox. blush

Annobel Sat 11-Aug-12 17:24:45

Embarrassed? Why? We all have differing tastes.

Anagram Sat 11-Aug-12 17:35:46

I love the Steve Wright show as well - we've grow old together!