Gransnet forums

AIBU

Radio Listeners!

(106 Posts)
mrshat Mon 26-Mar-12 17:04:13

I listen to Radio 2 when at home about the house. I enjoy the Jeremy Vine programme but he is away quite lot. 'Locum' presenters are usually OK but Vanessa Feltz (on this week) really upsets me. Does anyone else find her 'style' quite rude or is it just me? confused

ajanela Thu 19-Apr-12 17:27:11

My husband and I listen to Radio 2, He likes some people, me others, Lifes like that. But he does rant about that Feltz woman and I hate it when things change.

paradisemerton Sun 22-Apr-12 16:09:37

Radio 4 mostly, bits of classic fm especially John Suchet whose voice is soooo mellifluous, then now and then when I feel more active (!!) Magic 105.4 for those 70s 80s and 90s hits. Great!

dahlia Wed 25-Apr-12 19:40:51

Radio 4 for me, too, though I sometimes listen to Radio 2 when I just want a bit of background music when washing the floor or similar. I used to love Terry Wogan on in the mornings on my way to work, but haven't taken to him at all on Sunday mornings. Again, was a huge fan of the Archers, but nowadays it's all about the younger generation - which, thinking about it, it was probably was when I was young myself! It needs a good bit of spice to gee it up again. When the phrase "new comedy" is used, I tend to switch off. Also can't stand Melvyn Bragg, and greatly miss John Peel still. One or two programmes like "Making History" are a real treat, sadly not on at present.
I have never liked local radio, too many "my 'ansum"s in this part of Cornwall for my liking, just too parochial.

imjingl Wed 25-Apr-12 19:52:28

I've been pedalling my exercise bike to Radio 2 (Ken Bruce) for half an hour in the mornings. Surprising how a bit of music helps it along.

I kid myself I am 'spinning' (like daughter does). grin

imjingl Wed 25-Apr-12 19:53:54

I've gone off the Archers too Dahlia. And I've been a fan since the 60's! It's not the same anymore.

jack Wed 25-Apr-12 20:45:01

I wanted to scream at the Archers' scriptwriter on Sunday. And again this evening. I am not a regular listener (as in 'addict') but it's not hard to catch up on a slow soap to nowhere. What I really dislike about the script at the moment is that it is so full of cliches (sorry, can't find an accent acute!) that I find myself mouthing the next predictable line before it's even broadcast.

dorsetpennt Wed 25-Apr-12 20:46:38

Love Radio 4 - somethimes I'll listen to Classic FM - but when I sit at my computer or doing housework/ironing etc it's radio 4

mrshat Fri 04-May-12 15:10:19

I don't believe it - I've just heard that 'that woman' Vanessa Feltz is back on Radio 2 next week again! Taking over from Jeremy Vine for the whole week! shock Radio 4 for me again then.

imjingl Fri 04-May-12 15:21:09

I think they try to give their early morning presenters a bit of a lie in sometimes.

Of course, they know the more permanent (and sensible) answer. wink

Anagram Fri 04-May-12 15:24:13

They've had Patrick Kielty on R2 instead of Steve Wright in the afternoon all week - he doesn't half go on! At least he's better than the usual replacement, Chris Tarrant....hmm

Humbertbear Sat 05-May-12 09:33:18

I have Radio 4 on every radio in the house which is a bit frustrating when I move from a digital radio to an older one. I listen to Classic when I am marking students' work but find more and more that they play film music. I love Lord of the Rings, Dances with Wolves and Out of Africa but just because music is played by an orchestra it doesn't mean it's classical music!

pollytunnel Sat 05-May-12 10:39:34

Radio 4 and 4 extra for me...If I want music I choose what I listen to...I love the news quiz and quite like the drama ...afternoon plays etc....thats what happens to retired people too much time on their hands....

I used to quite like the archers but oh how its gone off...

poor acting and poor dialogue...twee people with twee lives...bring back Walter Gabriel and Nelson I say.....

mrshat Mon 25-Jun-12 21:08:34

HELP - that woman is back again this week! I think I might have to complain!! She just spoils my day - OK rant over. I will listen to Radio 4 or Classic FM or even watch the TV - but I do like to listen to Jeremy Vine over lunch hour ..................... [could do with 'spoiled brat' thingy!] grin

Anagram Mon 25-Jun-12 21:20:02

And that awful man (Chris Tarrant) is back standing in for Steve Wright on R2. I like what I'm used to, and CT is so pompously self-regarding! angry

Annika Mon 25-Jun-12 21:21:56

mrshat I turned radio 2 on just after 12 noon, I heard the first two or three words from that woman and it had me turning over to radio 4 extra where I listened to Round the Horne and then Steptoe and son. Then at 1pm I tuned into our local radio station.
mrshat Keep away from radio 2 at mid day for the rest of the week. Is Jeremy Vine back next week? oh please say he is !grin

Anagram Mon 25-Jun-12 21:23:19

Is it all a plot to drive away R2 listeners...? confused

whitewave Mon 25-Jun-12 21:24:05

Radio 4 and sort of 4 extra but that gets on my nerves at times. Radio 2 in the car love driving and listening to pop music - I think of myself as young and groovy!!

Anagram Mon 25-Jun-12 21:27:06

Well, R2 does play rather a lot of the music which was popular when we actually were young and groovy, whitewave - that's why I listen to it in the car as well! grin

Annika Mon 25-Jun-12 22:14:06

I like the music on Radio 2 but.... its that woman . I try to like her, honest I do after all she has done me no harm and I suppose she is very nice but its that voice !!!! hmm

merlotgran Mon 25-Jun-12 22:31:29

Imagine having Venessa Feltz as your next door neighbour. You'd never be able to sell your house. sad

Anagram Mon 25-Jun-12 22:33:26

Pair her up with Chris Tarrant and ship them both off to Radio Mars! angry

Learnergran Mon 25-Jun-12 22:54:34

Absolutely cannot bear the Felzt woman or Tarrant angryangry so am having bad week.
But I only listen to Radio 2 in the car - love Ken Bruce. It's Radio 4 in our house from waking up onwards - when I have trouble sleeping it goes on all night too, as World Service, through my earphone. Even the shipping forecast.
Oh, someone else I cannot stand - the vicar on John Peel's spot. What's he doing chuntering on like that on a Saturday, does he not have a sermon to prepare?

yogagran Mon 25-Jun-12 23:00:45

I still miss John Peel on a Saturday morning sad

Anagram Mon 25-Jun-12 23:02:13

Yes, I miss John Peel, too.

Nanban Tue 26-Jun-12 13:13:19

Anybody read the Jeremy Vine biography - superb and a lovely peek at the workings behind the personalities.