Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that children in school should have some self-discipline?

(52 Posts)
Mishap Tue 01-May-12 18:20:38

I go into various schools to run workshops and find that, particularly in the primary schools (even in the top class) the children have very little self-control. They mess about and cannot seem to grasp that if you are answering one person's question, you cannot attend to their tale of what their auntie did last week! They just come out with whatever is in their head at the time and seem to have no concept of concentrating on what is going on.
I find it sad really as there is also no concept of putting effort into something in order to get something out of it - everything is "of the moment" and instant gratification. The really sad thing is that the few children who really want to get on and take part and learn something are constantly frustrated. And so am I!!
What do others think?

LaGrandeDuchesse Mon 08-Oct-12 15:13:14

My DCs went to a comprehensive school, but it was in a wealthy part of the country, and it had a v strict old fashioned head and deputy (both Welsh as was often the case in the SE). Girls still had to wear skirts and of a certain length, miscreants picked up litter from the playground.

I called in to speak to someone one day and sat in the office waiting to be seen. It was break time and the children were moving between classes (2,000+ school) and they were all smiling !!! and chatting. Happy cheerful teenagers. I'd been to secondary school in Scotland where the default expression for teens was surly and put upon. So I found this cheery atmosphere really amazing.

Just saying because I think the strict rules made things easier for the children, not harder, and what a lovely start to life it gave my DCs.