Gransnet forums

AIBU

............to create a quiet corner.

(489 Posts)
glassortwo Fri 11-May-12 13:02:37

Its been a while since notso corner was in use, maybe now would be a good time.

Come on in........ I am just dusting things down and have the kettle on.

Joy56 Sat 13-Oct-12 23:19:41

Just put the dogs to bed anyway so one more glass then its off for me.

whenim64 Sat 13-Oct-12 23:20:05

The dog is fine - she wee'd on my strawberry patch half an hour ago and now she's asleep! grin

Joy56 Sat 13-Oct-12 23:23:02

Ooo... I hope you wash the strawberries before you eat them. Mine always pees up the yard broom!

soop Sun 14-Oct-12 16:22:39

Has anyone heard from our Nellie recently? I miss her and hope that she'll return very soon. smile

shysal Sun 14-Oct-12 16:28:27

soop has Nellie started her new job? If so she will have less time to spend on GN.

soop Sun 14-Oct-12 16:31:05

shysal...I recall that she resigned recently. Has she found a new job? I hope so.

jeni Sun 14-Oct-12 16:40:05

What has happened to our jing?

Gally Sun 14-Oct-12 19:16:21

...and Pompa ?

Grannyeggs Sun 14-Oct-12 19:45:33

Oh I love this bit of Gransnet,I'll kick off my shoes and have a quiet wine. Birthday lunch went well, I have bought the last two slices of wonky looking cake if anyone wants some.

Grannylin Sun 14-Oct-12 19:56:33

Thanks Grannyeggs but I really couldn't.I made a scrummy blackberry crumble with enough for tomorrow but, unfortunately, I've eaten tomorrow's tooshock

Marelli Sun 14-Oct-12 21:56:47

Jingl sometimes doesn't post for a wee while, but I'm wondering if Nelliedeane's OK? I know she resigned from the job she tried, but we have heard very little from her since.
I'm so glad I've got Gransnet.....DH's friend has been here for 3 hours now, and has talked non-stop about lorries, the job they both did together (8 years ago) and I'm very, very bored....and have missed Downton Abbey. However, I've been having a sneaky peek at GN in the meantime......he's still go this jacket on, because he wasn't intending to stay, though he's eaten most of a large gingercake....bless him! hmm

bikergran Sun 14-Oct-12 22:23:50

Marelli just put your night attire on and your curlers in! and hold the hot water bottle...grin

annodomini Sun 14-Oct-12 23:03:31

I have tried to pm Nellie but get the message that LittleNellie isn't a valid name. I don't know how we can get her back. This is so sad. sad

Bags Mon 15-Oct-12 07:00:12

I'm happy to report that Pompa and Mrs Pompa are fine, if run off their feet by their lively grandchildren smile

Notsogrand Mon 15-Oct-12 07:39:49

Thanks Bags, good to hear smile

glassortwo Mon 15-Oct-12 07:47:27

bags thats good news thank you.

annodomini Mon 15-Oct-12 09:17:29

That's a relief, Bags. Does anyone have the means to contact Nellie?

Elegran Mon 15-Oct-12 09:31:10

From the mapping exercise I could show you approximately where she lives, but I don't think she sent me her postcode by private email address. I shall have a look on the map to see whether she edited it herself. There might be a clue there.

Butternut Mon 15-Oct-12 09:34:57

GNHQ are able to contact those gransnetters who have left I believe. Perhaps they may be able to help.

glassortwo Mon 15-Oct-12 09:43:26

I am coming into the quiet for a cup of tea before I start this hell hole, Monday mornings the place is like a tip.
Its sad that jingle and nellie have left, I hope they come back soon.

Elegran Mon 15-Oct-12 09:45:54

I can see her on the map, in between Dereham, Swaffham, and Watson. She did not send me a postcode, as far as I can see. It is my estimate of where she lives - looks as though it is in the middle of a field.

I think GNHQ is the best bet. Maybe they can pass on a message to her.

Oldgreymare Mon 15-Oct-12 09:48:10

Glass I echo those sentiments..... must get the bathrooms (well bathroom and cloakroom) done!

gracesmum Mon 15-Oct-12 11:04:48

Please may I scream (quietly)? Yet again I have come downstairs to find DH has had his usual fried bacon, this time with a poached egg on a muffin so guess who has to clean all 7 rings of the cooker?? I do this on a daily basis - I have moaned, hinted, crashed about but he just says that if he uses less oil it sticks. I could do it for him and make less mess, but I really don't want to as I do everything. He has left the pepper mill on the table when it could go in the cupboard without the application of too much rocket science. The dishwasher is also a neglected little thing - he has stacked his plates up etc on the counter above and gone back upstairs for his shower. So I am going out to post some letters, take the car to get a new headlight and wonder if any of it will be put away by the time I get back? angryangry I am whispering so as not to disturb the quiet corner.

Elegran Mon 15-Oct-12 11:35:15

You could try moving all his stacked dishes to the space where he wants to do something with a suggestion that it is better to put them in the dishwasher directly and not clutter up a space intended to work on?

You could stand in front of the still-messy cooker when it is time to make his next meal and refuse to cook anything on it until it is clean because it will just burn on permanently? Before he cleans it, of course, not you. Does he know how to? If not, it is time for a lesson. It is not rocket science.

You could leave the cooker dirty next time you use because, clearly, he believes that whoever cooks is let off cleaning duty.

And he is wrong, it does not stick because there is too little oil, but because he has the heat too high, or is clumsy turning things.

annodomini Mon 15-Oct-12 11:38:02

Have you hinted that grilled bacon is better for him than fried? You could line the grill pan with foil which would mean less cleaning. Hide the frying pan.