Gransnet forums

AIBU

Name tapes

(32 Posts)
kittylester Mon 02-Jul-12 19:59:10

As to which are the best, I still think Cash's are brilliant! But I have been using them for hundreds of years. grin

glammanana Mon 02-Jul-12 18:41:49

grindos welcome to GN how nice to have a idea like that,many young mums don't have the time to do all these fiddley jobs do they? my own DD has the name tags ordered at school at the end of term and picks them up before they go back in September but again these are the iron on types,and with the older boys their names where embroidered into their sports kits as part of the cost of the shirts and shorts along with the school logo. I hope it works out well for you.

kittylester Mon 02-Jul-12 16:07:32

Welcome grindos

My Mum had to have her clothes name taped when she went into her home. You could advertise in the shop where the uniforms are bought and in the school newsletter. For homes you could put an ad on the notice board (with permission) I would have welcomed that service when my 5 kids all needed stuff naming and when Mum needed hers doing - especially the underwear!

Anagram Mon 02-Jul-12 16:04:59

I think I meant 'iron-on' rather than 'stick-on'! blush

nanaej Mon 02-Jul-12 14:54:25

grindos Hi & welcome Good idea! I guess I would base it on the minimum wage hourly rate! No idea how long it would take you to sew name tapes onto a set of uniform.. 15 items??? 3 skirts/trousers, 3 shirts, 2 sweatshirts, coat /jacket, PE top & shorts plus miscellaneous bags etc! Do people name socks?? Good luck!

Anagram Mon 02-Jul-12 14:52:31

A lot of them buy those stick-on name tapes which curl up at the edges when the garment's been washed! It's worth a try, Grindos, but I'm not sure you'd get many takers.

Welcome to the site anyway - hope you'll find lots to interest you. smile

Grindos Mon 02-Jul-12 14:26:44

Hi, I'm new to the site today. I looked at mumsnet to find out which the best name tapes are (my granddaughter starts school soon), only to read how much mums hate sewing. I thought to myself "I could do that!" Wondering if anyone else had same idea? Should I advertise at local schools? Would I be inundated and how much should I charge? P.S. I really like sewing and it would give me something to do while my husband plays golf! That sounds SAD, it is a bit, but not as SAD as him being home all the time!