Gransnet forums

AIBU

young childrens personal hygiene at school

(34 Posts)
mountaingoat Sat 07-Jul-12 20:43:29

My three year old (just) grand-daughter is starting at welsh pre-infants school in September. Her parents were told at the school open day that should she want use the toilet and in the process soil herself the teachers are not allowed to wipe her bottom and put her clean. Her parents would have to be called in from work to do that for her. In the meantime she would have to wait with dirty pants on. I am sorry I feel this is child protection gone mad. I know its because everyone is frightened of being accused of molesting children but surely this is absurd.

Anagram Mon 09-Jul-12 21:04:16

Yes, probably the local authority's guidelines or policy.

JessM Mon 09-Jul-12 21:11:33

It is true that some LA children's services are a bit overly keen to interfere in schools.
But I still think this is down to governors - they are the ones who can say "no - we will not sign off this safeguarding/ child protection policy head teacher. It is over the top. We want it changed."
These policies have to be reviewed annually by governors and while the LA can have a recommended template I have never seen anything on such a document about bottom wiping!!!
Look on the local authority "governors area" of their website and you may see draft recommend policies there.

Anagram Mon 09-Jul-12 21:13:55

Mmm...worth looking into! Thanks, Jess.

nanaej Mon 09-Jul-12 21:19:11

anagram I was part of a working group of Heads and advisors who wrote the LA policy on personal care and children in nappies in school. That is why I am so cross!! I am sure if the LA I worked for advised schools about positive & sensitive ways to manage these issues others will have done so too!

vampirequeen Mon 09-Jul-12 21:21:20

It's OK naneaj I knew you only meant a few awkward ones. It's the system I was railing against.

I don't think this is a health and safety issue....more likely some people not wanting to do it.

Anagram Mon 09-Jul-12 21:48:10

Sorry, nanaej - didn't mean to offend, and am not sure what I said, but sorry anyway! confused

nanaej Tue 10-Jul-12 06:58:00

anaoh no offence taken. It is not you that I am annoyed with it's schools/teachers/assistants who hide behind the pretence of 'safety' rules to not do their jobs professionally! I strongly advise any parent that has been told his/her child will not be changed to challenge this. Speak to HT, LA and if still no positive outcome to OFSTED. I doubt many will get to OFSTED as LAs (where they still exist and if the school is not an academy or a free school) will probably sort it!

vampirequeen Tue 10-Jul-12 12:14:08

I would have thought it was a failing of duty of care if you left a child soiled.