Gransnet forums

AIBU

Unused Olympic's medications and food & drink NOT being recycled.

(38 Posts)
Bags Mon 13-Aug-12 21:13:02

Thanks, elegran. That's good to know about. I'll tell my pharmacist, who seemed to think it was impossible.

Elegran Mon 13-Aug-12 20:58:53

This organisation accepts unwanted medecines.

www.intercare.org.uk/donate-medicines

The scheme works mostly through GPs who are registered with Intercare to collect and foreward what their patients have returned to them, but medecines can also be posted directly to them.

Anagram Mon 13-Aug-12 20:15:14

grin But yes, it is a great shame.

Bags Mon 13-Aug-12 20:14:38

three negatives! Good grief!

Bags Mon 13-Aug-12 20:14:13

Yes. Which is not to say that I don't think it a shame we can't find a way round the waste problem.

Anagram Mon 13-Aug-12 20:11:04

I suppose the food could have been tampered with, as well?

Bags Mon 13-Aug-12 20:09:00

GP surgeries may count as safe environments like pharmacies.

Bags Mon 13-Aug-12 20:08:05

I think crimson is right. Once medicines have left the pharmacy they cannot be given to anyone else. The problem is that they may have been tampered with.

Mishap Mon 13-Aug-12 20:02:01

But local GP surgeries send unopened packets of drugs with long use by dates to the Third World. I am sure that not all these Olympic drugs were opened.

They can't ditch this food if it is in date surely? - what about the homeless on their doorstep in London?

crimson Mon 13-Aug-12 19:56:48

I thought medication could no longer be passed on. It's probably some sort of EEC directive.

lizatarbucksauntie Mon 13-Aug-12 19:34:33

hello here's a link to the thread on Mumsnet.

I would really appreciate any help or support we can get, I feel like a very small voice on this at the moment and there is still time to make a difference...

LizaTarbucksAuntie Thread

Thank you

JessM Mon 13-Aug-12 19:25:29

It would help if you provided a link

bombismum Mon 13-Aug-12 18:51:37

AIBU to expect the unused Olympic medication and food and drink to be recycled to the appropriate charities?

I was astounded and aghast and hopping-mad to read that they are all thrown away ( see the Mumsnet Talk topic - '' Olympic medicines being destroyed and not donated. Is this legacy? ''

Well, NO it jolly well isn't. It's an absolute scandal on all sorts of levels.

Please let anyone with influence know your thoughts on this.

Sebastion Coe, the Legacy Tsar! Give me strength! Legacy, Schmegacy!!! Grrrrrr

I've posted on M/net already but I think some Gransnetters maybe don't look on the M/N boards ?.

If anyone knows Harriet Harman's email address I'd be grateful, thanks. Maybe a woman member of Locoq ( spelling ? ), could move and shake things up a bit?

Hope we can shame the lot of them out if their complacency into acting before the Paralympics are over, and to make it an Olympic Regulation for all future Games and similar events.