Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect that if a retired couple dont want to listen to children playing...

(56 Posts)
glassortwo Tue 11-Sep-12 09:41:01

To expect that if a retired couple don't want to listen to children playing they should not have bought the last house (the show house) on a small new estate.
The layout of the estate is in a horseshoe and in the center is a very small park for young children, surrounded by grass.
My DD moved in around 7 years ago along with half of the other residents, the remainder of the estate slowly filled as the houses were completed and most of the residents were young couples with small children or who have since gone on to have families so the children range from 6 months to approx 8 yrs.
The last house sold was the show house around 4 yrs ago to a couple who the man has since retired and he is doing nothing but grumble about the children playing and its not that they are causing any problem just the excited chatter of children enjoying themselves..... if one of the little one falls over and is crying he is out grumbling about the noise...... am I being unreasonable to say that they should have expected to be disturbed by children playing before they bought the house on an estate already established with young familes!!!!!

glassortwo Tue 11-Sep-12 20:34:06

pogs the young families are tending to give him a wide berth, his wife just smiles and looks very embarrassed by it all, they do have Grandchildren so its not that he has no immediate contact with children.
Yes the dark night are closing in on us again so as you say it wont be a problem for much longer but a year on and he will have to put up with them all being a year older. sad

baNANA Tue 11-Sep-12 20:54:00

Directly across the Thames from us is a rowing club and every so often they have competition days, usually on a Sunday when we are woken about 8 am by a booming voice over a megaphone and the theme of Hawaii Five O played at what seems 10 minute intervals all day until about 5 pm.

POGS Tue 11-Sep-12 20:59:56

baNANA

DaDaDaDaDaDaa DaDaDaDaDaa

Just to put the tune into your head before bedtime. Ha Ha

wine

baNANA Tue 11-Sep-12 21:07:41

POGS, forgot to mention right next door to rowing club is a pub and their throwing out tune is YMCA so that's in my head at bedtime!

Notsogrand Tue 11-Sep-12 21:15:30

Buy some ear plugs and pop them in his letter box glass

Grannylin Tue 11-Sep-12 21:19:19

The Old Grump who lived next to my kids primary school regularly used to appear at 'home time' with a pot of white gloss paint and start painting his fence as the children headed home past his precious garden!

POGS Tue 11-Sep-12 21:29:04

baNANA

Blimey I bet you have some fun. Any houses for sale?

You live by a river, next door to a pub and opposite a rowing club. Don't tell me you have a 4 star resaurant and a heli pad nearby. Sounds fab. envy

baNANA Tue 11-Sep-12 21:38:58

Not a heli pad I'm afraid, it's only a town house and our grounds are communal, but do have some slightly bonkers neighbours who during one of the very hot summers a couple of years ago decided to swim across the river, fully clothed, to the pub the other side and then on reaching that side couldn't get up the bank, and had to be hauled up by some of the kindly patrons in the pub garden. Some people will go to great lengths (pardon the pun) to visit their local! Personally I wouldn't put my big toe in the river, it being the Thames and noted for Weils Disease, still takes all sorts!

POGS Tue 11-Sep-12 21:48:21

baNANANA

Those pesky rats. grin

Glass. Perhaps your D.D. could ship her misery old neighbour off to baNANANA. Show him how to live life again. smile

glassortwo Tue 11-Sep-12 21:57:18

pogs I am sure my DD will be all for it grin don't know how baNANA will take it.

baNANA Tue 11-Sep-12 22:08:22

POGS I would point that not all my neighbours are loads of fun, some of them could be described as miserable old gits as per the old grouch I previously mentioned who tired to confiscate some leaves from a group of four year olds. When we first moved here my younger son who was about 11 at the time was told ball games were not allowed in the grounds when he was playing a racquet game with a friend to which he replied "a shuttlecock is not a ball!" this was not well received by the aforementioned git. I myself was also told off for feeding the ducks by another like minded elderly person, who told me there was no nutritional value in bread, so I haven't touched it since!

POGS Tue 11-Sep-12 22:13:43

baNANA Glass

That's just cocked the job up then. Night. wine

glassortwo Fri 11-Jan-13 12:46:57

I have thought for a few days there was alot of strange activity going on but the removal van is here and they are shipping out, do you think the old grump has read this thread grin

Ana Fri 11-Jan-13 12:49:40

Yes!! Another resounding success for Gransnet Power! grin

glassortwo Fri 11-Jan-13 12:51:30

grin Gn has done it again wink

Notsogrand Fri 11-Jan-13 13:26:42

Result!! grin

Barrow Fri 11-Jan-13 13:34:16

I never had children but love the sound of children playing. Part of me is looking forward to snow as the village children play in the field next to my house with their toboggans. The last time we had deep snow, I stepped into my garden and ended up having a snowball fight with some of them! Got back indoors, cold and wet but laughing!

glassortwo Fri 11-Jan-13 14:03:15

Barrow it keeps you young doesn't it smile nothing like a snowball fight to make you smile.

glammanana Fri 11-Jan-13 15:16:51

Well done GNers we can certainly put the curse on can't we.

j07 Fri 11-Jan-13 15:19:29

Yeah. That'll be it Glass. hmm

grin

j07 Fri 11-Jan-13 15:20:27

More like the kids have got too much for 'em. grin

FlicketyB Fri 11-Jan-13 18:52:03

Our last house was a tall solidly built three storey Victorian semi. Our children occupied the bedrooms on the top floor and used to compete to raise the volume of their own individual choice of music to a level where it drowned out the other - and deafened everybody else in the house.

I begged the neighbours to complain about the noise but all they said was that as the walls were so thick and they didnt use their attic bedrooms there had no problem with the music!

mollie65 Fri 11-Jan-13 19:09:44

differant noises for different folks. I can live with children playing outside (unless they are SCREAMING) but hate the noise of traffic. So would not live on a main road and opt to live down a muddy track so there is only my neighbour and the odd postie or tractor using it.

HildaW Fri 11-Jan-13 19:45:59

That sort of set-up, where the houses form a natural little open area is designed especially for young families....hells teef where are children suppposed to play safetly?

LullyDully Tue 22-Jan-13 11:47:37

We had our grandchildren to live with us for 3 years in our flat {optimistically we had downsized}.If they were noisy we woud get phone calls from the older couple downstairs. The flats were not retirement ones . Children are part of life. How great it is to have moved back to a house with them and they can make as much noise as possible.... until I get fed up with the noise that is.