Gransnet forums

AIBU

...... to think most men become grumpier and more intolerant as they age

(174 Posts)
Scumbag Thu 13-Sep-12 21:57:43

My DH has never been a bundle of laughs but as he approaches retirement age (and thus will be around me even more) he seems to complain constantly about everything and acts as if everyone else is out to make his life as difficult as possible.

Some examples being car going into garage then when he chases it up they haven't yet got the required spare part or similar excuse, ranting because he's received a phishing email from someone pretending to be his bank, it's raining when he planned to something out doors etc etc etc (none of these things would really raise a comment from me let alone a swearing rant)

If i posted this on Mumsnet I would probably be advised to 'leave the bastard' but after 30+ years that seems easier said than done - and obviously I wouldn't then be going out into the world alone expecting an exciting career and new admirers as someone younger might.

Also many of my peers seem to have DHs becoming similarly grumpy.

Any views out there, is it just me and can I change him? should I put up with it?

soop Sat 29-Sep-12 15:32:28

Jingle grin

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 18:10:02

Twenty five years ago the most recent of my wives left me, after giving me six months notice. Thirteen years after that a partner of eleven years died. Since then I can moan and groan and grumble, and there is no-one to shout at me, or help me, depending on the circumstances

Today I have found that there are forty eight Topics on Gransnet and most of them deliberately dont include any of my interests. Why am I victimised ?

JessM Mon 08-Oct-12 18:12:35

Because you choose to conjure up that victim emotion maybe. Or strayed into completely wrong forum by mistake?

MiceElf Mon 08-Oct-12 18:22:41

Do, what does interest you? We are all ears.grin

Ana Mon 08-Oct-12 18:33:57

Yes, GNHQ deliberately failed to include any of your interests, Daman! grin

Elegran Mon 08-Oct-12 18:35:15

Do you really believe that gransnet found out your interests and deliberately did not include them so as to be nasty to you, or are you having a laugh?

If you would like to start a thread about something that interests you, it is very easy. Have a look at the "topics" tab and start a new conversation.

JessM Mon 08-Oct-12 19:11:09

Or maybe even paranoid emotions?

merlotgran Mon 08-Oct-12 19:35:14

Ooooh! Can we have a paranoid emoticon??

gracesmum Mon 08-Oct-12 20:06:27

grandparenting, relationships, health, chat, religion, politics, gardening ,in the news - really nothing here for you*Daman*??
What do you want - please please don't say car maintenance or football thus reinforcing the male stereotype !

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 20:22:36

I did start something today about emotional man, but now I am perplexed because I think it has run off with gracesmum

crimson Mon 08-Oct-12 20:32:10

Forty eight topics? There are hundreds, There's even one on 'how to tune a ukelele'. If you want me to I can start one on parrots [I've been wanting to for ages]. Don't tell me you're not interested in parrots confused.

gracesmum Mon 08-Oct-12 20:44:50

Sorry - I hadn't realised I wasn't allowed to play confused

Daman Mon 08-Oct-12 20:58:55

It's ok gracesmum cus I like being in your 'emotional intelligence' playground now. Such fun.

crimson If it was not emotionally negative I could lust after parrots

jeni Mon 08-Oct-12 21:45:34

hmm

crimson Mon 08-Oct-12 21:51:03

If I understood that I'd find it very worrying....

POGS Mon 08-Oct-12 21:54:21

I'm lost on every blasted word by everybody practically. blush

soop Tue 09-Oct-12 18:12:49

more and more confused...moon

Gillr Tue 09-Oct-12 19:32:39

I have one of these too. Mine even rants at inanimate objects when things go wrong (as they often do!) I've tried all the above and just ignore him now...but he still rants. smile

Ariadne Tue 09-Oct-12 19:45:05

Parrot or OH? grin

annodomini Tue 09-Oct-12 19:50:03

I'm not a grumpy old man - not a specially grumpy old woman either - but I do sometimes have a rant at inanimate objects, like the vacuum cleaner or the washing machine both of which seem to take on a life of their own.

nantassles Tue 24-Nov-15 00:06:46

So I have just come across this thread and cut and pasted some relevant bits to include in an email to my H not my DH note. i am sick to death of being bullied and feelilng like treading on eggshells and muttered at and all the rest of it when I do something that displeases the other half. I have had a rotten illness recently and he has hated me being ill to the extent of lying down on the sofa feeling sorry for himself much of the time. He has got much worse as he has got older. He storms out of the room and/or shouts at me if I scratch my foot (I have eczema and it does drive me mad) even if only scratching the outside of a sock! He mutters loudly and pulls faces if I do something he disproves of. He walks off in town or goes all huffy if I end up even speaking to a stranger sometimes. If I dont keep up with him walking along he gets huffy. He is no saint himself as he tends to pick at his nails and chews his fingers which is awful but do I shout at him to stop? Do I storm out of the room? All I do is touch his hand to stop him biting his nails or fingers or picking at them. He considers his behaviour to me okay though. So I have emailed him and told him I want it to stop - I will not be bullied or intimidated at a time in my life where i should be enjoying semi retirement. He even tells me what to do in my voluntary work which drives me daft as it is me who has a Masters Degree in the work I do not him. I have warned him I will take my half of the house and buy somewhere else to live in peace on my own. I have told him the ball is in is court. We shall see.

petra Tue 24-Nov-15 10:34:43

Nantassles. That definitely is a case of 'Leave the Bastard' or, bury him under the patio.

Greyduster Tue 24-Nov-15 10:42:24

Crikey, nantassles! I was going to post a minor critique of my own DH, but having read about yours I think I should fall at his feet and thank the Lord for him!