Gransnet forums

AIBU

Need help re neighbours, who are causing me problems....it's not me!

(184 Posts)
vampirequeen Thu 11-Oct-12 13:37:25

poison it....ivy will destroy your roof.

AlieOxon Thu 11-Oct-12 13:21:36

Bags, you may be right about them needing help - but how to get it to them?

He is older (60-70?) and looks ill but sometimes goes to the local shop.
She is younger and used to work but not now.
I found a letter blowing about my garden a couple of years ago from the rubbish and it was about their mortgage owing.
I don't even see Sainsburys delivery van there now.

These are ex-council houses. I have been looking at my house papers and if they bought direct from the council they will have undertaken things about house and garden and neighbours - only I don't think they did. I didn't.

I plan to go to the CAB tomorrow (before 10am), parking where I can stay a while and taking a book!
Considering sending them a formal letter to complain. Can't do recorded delivery....door not answered....frustration!

janeainsworth Thu 11-Oct-12 13:14:41

I would try the council before involving solicitors.
I think if the ivy is thought to be a nuisance the council might intervene on your behalf and serve an enforcement notice.

Barrow Thu 11-Oct-12 13:00:01

You seem to have done everything you can to get a response. I think I would put another note through their door asking them to ring you or to pop in to see you so you could discuss it and if they fail to do so you will be contacting the Local Authority as the ivy is damaging your property.

Bags Thu 11-Oct-12 12:34:31

If your gardener is able to cut the ivy stems near the ground, the ivy that is on your roof would at least stop growing. Might be the thing to do if you get no response.

Bags Thu 11-Oct-12 12:32:01

If your neighbours are quite old, is it possible that they have not the resources of energy or money to deal with the problem ivy and that's why it has grown out of control? It could be that they need help too.

POGS Thu 11-Oct-12 12:20:23

Alie

Hasn't there just been a householder fined for such a thing!

Have you been to the council? I appreciate that is a last resort but you do sound as though you have tried to be civilised about the matter and that has got you nowhere. Ivy can be very destructive so you are entitled to protect your property surely.

annodomini Thu 11-Oct-12 12:08:14

Ivy is destructive. If it is causing or likely to cause damage, give them a deadline to have it cut back and say that if they don't you will have it done and send them the bill and if they don't pay up, you will take them to the Small Claims Court.

Otherwise, send a solicitor's letter which may be wiser than taking the law into your own hands. You might be able to reclaim the cost from them - huh!
Some solicitors will have a free half-hour's initial advice. The Law Society web site has a section called 'find a solicitor'.

I doubt if your local CAB would say anything different.

AlieOxon Thu 11-Oct-12 11:53:31

I have ivy growing into my roof from the next door garden. I say garden - it's a wilderness. The ivy is all over their roof, but that's their concern.
Everything there has not been touched in about five years.

My gardener has had go from a ladder on my side, but hasn't managed to reach the stems that go to the roof. He has cleared the ivy on my wall. And a bit further, which I didn't ask him to do but will delay its growing back.

Now the additional problem. This couple next door are so reclusive they don't answer their door and haven't answered my recent notes re the ivy. I haven't seen either of them for about three months....this is a source of worry sometimes, but she has put washing out of the window - hung on the gutter (!) recently so I know they are alive!

I offered for my gardener to go round and sort it. No response.
This is preventing me from getting all my gutters fixed.

I was going to try the CAB, but have not managed to get to talk to them, and their system seems much less user-friendly than it was a few years ago...
any ideas please?