Gransnet forums

AIBU

advice please a.s.a.p :) who should walk daughter down isle if her dad not able to!??

(30 Posts)
bikergran Sat 20-Oct-12 14:20:20

got a bit of a predicment..daughter is getting married.
her dad (DH) is not able to to do and doesnt fele up to it so is quiet in agreement for his son to do it..(smart man and will stand up the the job) i have spoke to my mum DD gran whos seesm to think that DD grandad should do it (my dad) he could do the job ok.. but my DD would like DH son to do it (any advice please) needs to be sorted by tea time ..sad hate to offend my mum n da but she seems to have it in he head that we should stick to our side and not DH side... ?? thanks all I know ist down to DD at end of day but!

whenim64 Mon 29-Oct-12 19:06:41

My grandad gave me away in the 70s. He did a perfect job. My father would not go in a church on principle. I was not impressed. I don't have any faith, but my husband did, so I did it for him. As my father wouldn't make the effort for me, I didn't pursue it. His loss! He tried not going in a church when he married my mum, then said he wouldn't participate. The vicar said 'fine - there will be no wedding.' He participated!

matson Mon 29-Oct-12 20:10:41

when son and daughter in law got married, both us mums where their witnesses, its lovely to break the tradition and let the ladies lead the way .

Nanban Wed 31-Oct-12 17:41:12

The Bride, if she has definite preferences should choose, if she is uncertain or not too bothered, and if you ask him how he feels about it, her Grandad should be the first choice I'd have thought as her brother would be of great value in the usher department.

clementine Thu 01-Nov-12 21:13:41

A lot of mum's do it nowadays in the absence of fathers. The bride's brother would be an obvious choice as an alternative as would her grandfather. Not used to all these abbreviations yet so hope i have got it right!!!blush