Gransnet forums

AIBU

To just be calm and neutral

(99 Posts)
Bags Sun 16-Dec-12 09:39:08

about Christmas?

I don't get excited about it. I don't get depressed about it. I don't ignore it. I don't wallow or glory in it. I just let it happen.

I suppose that apart from filling DD's Christmas stocking (she's had her main Christmas present already; riding boots and jodphurs), I mainly just watch. Some of it is fun. Some of it is crazy. Some of it just needs to be ignored.

It's not a bother or a big deal either positively or negatively.

Ana Mon 17-Dec-12 17:52:22

I think tantric sex is a part of Tantra Yoga, gracesmum.

Oldgreymare Mon 17-Dec-12 19:01:04

I'm trying to be calm and neutral but the world won't allow it.
My calm visits to the shops have become a battle, an elbow jostling rush. ( and the music drives me nuts!!!!)
I tried to ignore the need to send cards resulting in a last minute rush when I realised I would upset too many people.
DS2 and DiL arrive on Friday, 'til Sunday, they want to be on their own on the Big Day, Dil is vegetarian with food intolerences so my 'party pieces/old favourites' will be unacceptable. (I know I am lucky to have family visiting, really).
DS1 and family spend every Christmas with DiL's family, fair enough they only live a few miles away from them. They 'may' come to us for the New Year but haven't yet made a decision!
I'm far too much of a control freak to put up a card or decorate a tree until the house has been cleaned from top to bottm, OK, that is my fault!

Result last minute mad dash....... I wish I could just let it happen!

P.S. Gracesmum you have made me smile.

P.P.S Crimson If I had the dosh I would spend Christmas in a lovely Olde Worlde hotel, with roaring log fires and someone else presenting me with a delicious dinner, lots of country walks (or the seaside walks of my childhood).

P.P.P.S. I think Jeni has the right idea..... sailing off into the sunset!
confused

Butty Mon 17-Dec-12 19:03:54

I'm still making cards, and it's all getting a bit angst ridden.

Still, I've always found late cards appreciated after all the brouhaha has subsided. smile

Oldgreymare Mon 17-Dec-12 19:04:23

..... and I would treat you, Crimson. But we would have to find a Boxing Day Race Meeting smile
I think I'll go and clean the bathroom hmm

crimson Mon 17-Dec-12 20:00:11

I wish I could go back in time and actually be there when Dessie won on one of his many Boxing Days. The 'Dessie Years' were probably the happiest years of my life smile and next to my kids and grandchidren I loved him more than anything else in the world. But I was never 'calm and neutral' on Christmas Day because I was far too nervous.

merlotgran Mon 17-Dec-12 20:25:50

I always panic at the start of the week before Christmas. The house is a tip because of all the shopping that hasn't been put away, presents that haven't been wrapped, ironing that needs doing, mince pies that need baking etc. My to do list is not getting any shorter. shock

Nanado Mon 17-Dec-12 21:48:25

How to create your own energy ball.

Simples!

www.beginnerstaichi.com/tai-chi-exercise-ball.html

Nanado Mon 17-Dec-12 21:51:31

Word of warning, do not o this if yore tired and don't try to channel your own energy into it. I'm serious.

Nanado Mon 17-Dec-12 21:52:00

If you're tired... I meant to say.

jeni Mon 17-Dec-12 22:12:54

oldhreymare I'm going east first!
Last time I looked that was sunrise?confused

Oldgreymare Mon 17-Dec-12 22:16:01

Jeni have a lovely time whichever way you go xx (Carousing into the wee small hours you may also see the sunrise!)

jeni Mon 17-Dec-12 22:50:32

No way! I do NOT DO EARLY MORNINGS by choice. Or that late a night! moon

Jodi Tue 18-Dec-12 08:27:43

Talking of bring calm .... big day today. Papers to be signed this morning with huge life changes in the pipe line. Hope I'm doing the right thing.

Gally Tue 18-Dec-12 08:47:46

Oooh Jodi Good Luck! I'm sure whatever it is, you have made the right decision flowers

annodomini Tue 18-Dec-12 09:04:03

Good luck and have a happy Christmas, jodi. smile

Nanado Tue 18-Dec-12 09:18:59

Good luck jodi I'm sure you've thought this through. I know you've had big upheavals in your life recently so have a peaceful Christmas smile

Bags Tue 18-Dec-12 10:59:21

Here's to a smooth transition, jodi flowers

Nanado Tue 18-Dec-12 11:35:02

Thanks everyone smile

Nanado Tue 18-Dec-12 11:36:06

Oops that was on the wrong thread.... Should have been on the men's hair gel remover!!!

Butty Tue 18-Dec-12 11:46:56

jodi Wishing you well with your decisions and future. sunshine

Ana Tue 18-Dec-12 11:47:23

I thought you and Jodi were secretly one and the same for a moment there, Nanado! shock

jeni Tue 18-Dec-12 12:23:06

Jodi good luck!

Nanado Tue 18-Dec-12 13:11:16

Rumbled jodi grin