Gransnet forums

AIBU

BENEFITS AND VERY STRANGE FRIEND!!

(64 Posts)
celebgran Sat 22-Dec-12 10:11:13

Got to get this off my chest, I befriended a girl when I was at college 4 years ago who I did not realise was an alcoholic,sadly her mum died (she was adopted) and of course I supported her all I could.
She was not able to finish the course, due to drink problem etc.
She is single mum.
The council have given her a lovely 2 bed house, but she allowed her partner to live there so benefits were cut not unreasonably.
We visitted yesterday with voucher for little boy and presents.
I felt awful yesterday due to panic attack ref our sad situation overnight.

To my shock she had not even written us a xmas card, did not offer us a drink and I felt she just wanted us to dump presents and leave, I do not wish her any harm, but it will be the last time!
While we were there:
Social worker called with money for her and a hamper of goodies, excuse me her partner is working full time!! I just felt embarassed for her that she could lap up all these freebies!
before social worker visit she was showing us an expensive food parcel she had orderd for her Dad.
I guess it is a classic case of funds being misused!
I have tried my best to support her, even attending case conferences with her when her son was at risk, but think time to draw a line!
I do feel for her little boy.

jeanie99 Tue 28-May-13 09:51:28

I better not make any comment on this subject.

Celegram
Goose

You sound like lovely people, salt of the earth and anyone would cherish you as a friend but you know sometimes we have to let people who treat others so badly leave our lives.

tammy1351 Fri 07-Jun-13 23:32:32

BENIFIT SYSTEM!!Excuse the capitals I'm seething I've just read of a man???who is on benefits who can afford to spend £2500 on a t.v. even if I had the money I wouldn't waste it like that.It should be the same as it is in Spain you only get out what you put in.This is one of the reasons I left the uk,(note small caps,) it would appear that the bigger waste of space you are the more money the state will throw at you.angryTo think i worked for 50 yrs and paid taxes to support such scum really p___s me off. Rant over///Tomorrow the sun will shine i'll go to my favourite bar a couple of glasses of vino tinto (which I couldn't afford to buy in the uk) unless I was on benefits !!and all will be well with the world.wine

harrigran Sat 08-Jun-13 10:42:49

tammy wine sunshine

FlicketyB Mon 10-Jun-13 15:57:54

But surely this case was in the papers because it was exceptional, not because that is how all benefits claimants live. Many have been made homeless because of the bedroom tax. Lost jobs because it is impossible to get to work from the temporary accommodation they are now living in.

The fact of the matter is that in every walk of life and at every level of society there are those who, given the opportunity, will cheat, lie and defraud to get money they are not entitled to. It is just that the further up the greedy pole you go the more opportunities there are and the more lucrative they are.

bluebell Mon 10-Jun-13 16:48:49

Tammy - I found the bile in your post really distressing. Scum is pretty strong language !

Aka Mon 10-Jun-13 16:57:20

I think he felt very strongly about it and needed to vent his feelings. Just an observation, not pseudo psycho babble.

bluebell Mon 10-Jun-13 17:03:59

Yes Aka I think I'd worked out he felt strongly about it - but the language used was a bit OTT and a slating of the whole benefit system. As Flick said, this is an exceptional case - three was a case recently of a dentist who cheated the NHS out of over £1 m but that wouldn't be a reason for damning the NHS dentistry system.

Aka Mon 10-Jun-13 17:27:10

Perish the thought! But how can 'three' be exceptional?

bluebell Mon 10-Jun-13 17:31:30

Depends on your base figure AKA - 3 out of 4 wouldn't be but 3 out of hundreds of thousands would be

Aka Mon 10-Jun-13 17:34:05

grin hmm wink

annodomini Mon 10-Jun-13 17:43:24

the character in question in in the Channel 4 programme 'Skint' which I haven't seen and have no great desire to see. Apparently the 3D TV is being paid for in instalments, so it's not as if they're paying for it all in on lump sum. The article in the Mail is full of the most outrageous emotive language - but one expects that. And no, I'm not condoning the spending of money on a TV which would be better spent on nutritious food for this large family, but frankly it's none of my business.

bluebell Mon 10-Jun-13 17:58:00

So there'll be no playing to the camera then?

annodomini Mon 10-Jun-13 18:03:28

Perish the thought, bluebell! grin