Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to hate New Year

(110 Posts)
Mamie Mon 31-Dec-12 07:52:37

I like Christmas, but I absolutely loathe the New Year "celebrations". I hate all the boring, retrospective TV and newspaper stuff, I can't abide concerts from Vienna and the TV programmes are just awful. We never stay up to see the new year in (not even in 2000), but at least here in rural Normandy we don't get woken up by other people's ghastly fireworks. I shall be so glad when it is the 2nd January.
Grumpy emoticon.

nightowl Mon 31-Dec-12 15:22:56

gracesmum is right Nanado, you are truly a brave lady and I'm sure your family count their blessings every day for having you xx

jO5 Mon 31-Dec-12 15:27:11

I must admit I like this weather. It's sort of, tucked up/ light the fire weather. And when the sun's not shining you don't see the dust. Or the marks on the kitchen cupboards.

jO5 Mon 31-Dec-12 15:28:18

Nanado. I can't imagine how you must feel. It's totally unthinkable. I'm so sorry. sad

Ana Mon 31-Dec-12 15:31:17

Nanado my thoughts are with you...

I must admit I feel a bit like jingl - having battled around Asda and queued 40 minutes to get out of the car park, I'm looking forward to doing virtually nothing for the next 36 hours...

soop Mon 31-Dec-12 15:41:45

Nanado Such pain must have been unbearable. You have great strength of character. Your family is truly blest. flowers

annodomini Mon 31-Dec-12 16:27:28

nanado, I feel for you. I try to imagine what it would be like to have been in your situation and I can't. You are such a brave gran.
On New Year's Eve 1974, I was all alone in the old nurses' home which served as parents' accommodation at Birmingham Children's Hospital where my DS2, not quite 2 years old, had been admitted that day to be prepared for a major operation on his bowel. It was a cold and bleak place and suffused with parental anxiety, pain and grief. I was one of the lucky parents whose child did get better - he will be forty in two weeks' time and is a great dad himself - but there were all too many others faced with loss or the prospect of loss.
The worst New Year was January 1st 1986 when my then OH told me he'd found someone else. Devastated doesn't begin to describe my feelings. Rejection is one of the worst human experiences short of bereavement. In the long run it made me more independent and resourceful; more empathic and, I hope, prepared me to be a good granny.

You can see why I look forward to the New Year with some trepidation.

Smoluski Mon 31-Dec-12 16:28:33

Will treat today like any other day and will definitely going to bed early,blankets over ears not to hear fireworks
3rd January is the anniversary of two losses,my dad. And Kate....will feel better settled when January over we have seen much loss in January...this year the reaching of 60 and a realisation that time is marching on has been a difficult one xxxxxlove nellie

nanad xxxxxx flowers

Ana Mon 31-Dec-12 16:31:04

nellie, such sadness - like nanado and others, you are so brave. flowers {{{hugs}}}

kittylester Mon 31-Dec-12 16:35:36

Totally lost for words - love and hugs to all flowers

Butty Mon 31-Dec-12 16:36:02

Perhaps many of us will relate to this:

We can endure much more than we think we can; all human experience testifies to that. All we need to do is learn not to be afraid of pain. Grit your teeth and let it hurt. Don't deny it, don't be overwhelmed by it. It will not last forever. One day, the pain will be gone and you will still be there. (Harold Kushner)

annodomini Mon 31-Dec-12 16:38:46

That is true, Butty, but one can't really appreciate this truth until after the event.

Anne58 Mon 31-Dec-12 16:45:11

Unfortunately one doesn't have a choice, there is no alternative but to keep going and try to move forward. It does get easier with time, but I'm not sure if the pain ever really goes, perhaps it does, but it hasn't yet.

Ana Mon 31-Dec-12 17:04:52

I would imagine that in some cases the pain never does truly go away. You just learn to live with it and find some kind of peace.

Faye Mon 31-Dec-12 17:27:33

phoenix flowers

Bags Mon 31-Dec-12 17:36:30

If I could give all you who are remembering sad losses at this time of year, some of the calm content I am lucky enough to have right now, I would. flowers

Ana Mon 31-Dec-12 17:38:15

And I for one am very glad you have that calm content, Bags! smile

Bags Mon 31-Dec-12 17:45:57

Thank you, ana. I wish I could share it.

Butty Mon 31-Dec-12 18:00:13

You just have, B smile

Goose Mon 31-Dec-12 18:30:16

N.Y.E. the same as 25th December and my birthday will be happily spent on my own. Now, what is it have I to look forward to next in the Big Design of Hallmark Cards??? Ah yes, the wonderful 14th February hmm wonder what delights await me that nightgrin

crimson Mon 31-Dec-12 18:42:40

Goose; is it your birthday?

Ella46 Mon 31-Dec-12 19:05:35

nanadog nellie phoenix everyone with sadness ...flowers

Goose Mon 31-Dec-12 19:06:43

Crimson Nah, it's not my birthday today! (thankfully) it must be pretty rotten to have to share a birthday with Jesus or NYE - I should imagine other events would kind of take over. Just feeling a bit..well, grumpity in general, so thought it would be therapeutic to have a good general, all round moan here...before smashing this laptop out of the window

crimson Mon 31-Dec-12 19:46:31

Oh, I misreadit. It's mine tomorrow and I hate it. Always have and always will! I'm going to stuff myself with curry and chocolate cake and then start the [neverending]diet tomorrow...bah humbug! Son just phoned; thought he was going to say the indian take away was closed sad but curry is on it's way. Y'know; might even have some wine tonight as well. Might as well feel really rough tomorrow morning wink.

tanglerose Mon 31-Dec-12 19:49:28

I hope you all will not mind a newby intruding here. Have read most of your back stories over time although not posted and have been amazed at the kindness of other gnetters to who ever is in distress or has a funny story to tell. May I wish you all peace of mind and whatever degree of happiness you can all find and courage to deal with whatever life will throw at us in 2013. I am very much looking forward to being a "propper" member of gransnet this coming year! Happy New Year

nightowl Mon 31-Dec-12 20:01:35

crimson happy birthday for tomorrow flowers wine wine

tanglerose welcome, do join in the fun. And as for being a 'proper' member of gransnet, you already are. flowers