Gransnet forums

AIBU

My son in Afghanistan.

(39 Posts)
soop Mon 31-Dec-12 16:31:52

My son has a very interesting article re his Christmas visit to Afghanistan published on-line [Mail on Sunday.] I thought that the many GN's who kindly sponsored him during the Royal Marine charity appeal, might like to read it. smile

Attention Rory fans! He has three new pics in my album. grin

Time to light the log fire and relax. To those who will be partying later, have a fun. wine
For those, like me, who will nod off long before the bells, enjoy the peace and quiet of your own home. flowers

Marelli Mon 31-Dec-12 16:41:48

Rory's a cracker of a cat, soop! Haven't you done well to settle him like that - I think the expression on his face tells us that he has deigned to allow this wink.
I have read your son's article soop. He sees things very sensitively and sensibly. A really good piece. smile
Now....coorie doon in front of that fire! Cosy in and enjoy your evening! wine smile

Anne58 Mon 31-Dec-12 16:47:55

And, pray tell what is my Maurice doing in that push chair????

glammanana Mon 31-Dec-12 16:55:22

soop well he is certainly at home now isn't he? he is georgous though isn' t he.

Ana Mon 31-Dec-12 16:57:59

That's not Maurice! It's the reincarnation of my Monty! shock

numberplease Mon 31-Dec-12 20:59:21

Rory`s absolutely gorgeous Soop, you can be rightly proud of what you`ve achieved with him. I will read the your son`s article later, when it`s quieter in here.

Nelliemoser Mon 31-Dec-12 21:10:00

Rory is he is increasingly settled in.

The cat in the pushchair is my friends cat Bertie!

glassortwo Mon 31-Dec-12 21:53:54

You must be very proud soop of both DS and Rory. Its a very good article.

soop Tue 01-Jan-13 12:18:23

Big smile and thank you for your comments. I enjoy sharing with you. Matt's email, sent in the early hours, tells us that he's visiting Lashkar Gah today. I believe that when he writes of his experiences in "foriegn parts", he's at his happiest. I've a file chocabloc with his writings. He travelled to some amazing places for The Lonely Planet. Another favourite article relates to time spent in Soweto. He also travelled in the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia to meet a family of fascinating people - the Mullungeon. Another sensitively written article related to Bali, immediately after the bomb. Oh dear, I'm boasting blush. Don't tell Jings...she'll think that all this is an extension to the much maligned "round robin"...which I never send. However, with you lot, I feel that a wee boast is permissable hmm

As for Rory. Well, he's curled up in front of the fire. Anyone would think he was born to be pampered. It will be interesting to learn approximately how old he is [when the vet gets to inspect him!]

janeainsworth Tue 01-Jan-13 13:19:55

Thank you soop, my DSil did two tours with the Royal Marines in Afghanistan so Matt's article was very close to home.

soop Tue 01-Jan-13 13:21:51

jane smile

Bags Tue 01-Jan-13 13:25:55

It's fine to boast on GN, soop. In fact, I'm thinking we need a Grannies' Boasting Forum wink

Bags Tue 01-Jan-13 13:26:33

Which would include space for Mummy-boasting of course.

HQ, I trust you are taking notes?

soop Tue 01-Jan-13 13:39:53

Bags Good idea of yours. It makes sense that folk can boast, or not...just as folks can read the boasts, or not. However, you'll be pleased to hear that I've done my fair share for today. wink

Funny old weather in Kintyre. Dashing with rain from iron-grey sky one minute, followed by half-hearted sunshine and just a hint of a rainbow the next. What does Rory care! I shall ask him...

Smoluski Tue 01-Jan-13 20:45:14

soop you boast away you have every right tooxxxx
rory is a handsome chap and he looks so affectionate now ,you both have worked so hard to win him over,he obviously loves and trusts you now.xxxxxx

Ana Tue 01-Jan-13 20:58:59

Didn't we have a 'boasting' thread a while ago...? Yes, perhaps a forum would be better!

soop Fri 04-Jan-13 13:31:09

I've just received an email from Lashkar gah. The message reads...XXX
which all that I need to know. smilesunshine

whenim64 Fri 04-Jan-13 13:34:52

Lovely soop. That's as much as you need, isn't it? flowers

soop Fri 04-Jan-13 13:44:23

when YES! smile

Butty Fri 04-Jan-13 13:46:33

Big smile for you soop!

soop Fri 04-Jan-13 13:47:49

And back to you, Butty x

glammanana Fri 04-Jan-13 13:54:59

Boast as much as you like soop it's good for you, makes for the feelgood factor and I'm sure we are all in need of that every now and then.
These reports are so good for moral over there,they give the troops the feeling that they are appreciated and thought about.

soop Fri 04-Jan-13 13:56:23

glamma (hug)

soop Fri 04-Jan-13 14:35:03

Have uploaded pic of son being hounded...his title: a normal afternoon in Afghanistan...hmm

annodomini Fri 04-Jan-13 15:09:07

He's a most impressive journalist, soop. The article grabs and keeps the reader's attention from beginning to end. Fascinating. And Rory is a very fortunate cat, though he may not think so when/if you manage to get him to the vet wink.