Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sports cars

(66 Posts)
Stansgran Tue 08-Jan-13 14:59:38

My DH has always had a sports car and this particular one which we have had for about 14 years has a battery which goes flat whenever it is put in the garage and not used for 2-3 weeks. So here we are with the AA and myDH ranting at the car and the makers of batteries etc but not at himself. How do I make him see that either he anticipates that the battery drains for some reason or that he should get a new battery when he finds he is charging it frequently or just isn't it about time he sold the effing lump of money . Are we not too old for sports cars? Perhaps not I hate driving it. On a motorway every lorry driver seeing a woman(even my age) in a red sports car feels obliged to overtake especially if she is only doing 75mph. Rant over. It is now going and oddly enough only one person has the knowledge of where the spare keys are the mobile charged so the garage can be phoned.........

Bags Wed 09-Jan-13 11:05:03

We have a racing green Toyota, but it's not like that wink. Muddier for a start.

Bags Wed 09-Jan-13 11:06:33

The MR2 looks like a nice wee car. Was it fun to drive? I don't suppose I'd refucpse one that was Offered to me as a present.

Bags Wed 09-Jan-13 11:06:48

How did p and c get in?

glassortwo Wed 09-Jan-13 11:29:09

It was fantastic to drive, oh well I suppose I will have to climb into my boring Renault Scenic which in comparison is a big bus to drop FIL lunch off...well I can dream I am in my MR2 smile

Ylil Wed 09-Jan-13 11:45:13

JessM I drive a 'gas guzzling' sports car, for the simple reason I like to drive something really good and enjoyable, there is nothing better than a sunny day with the top down, and a decent car purring along. For me it's not showing off, I've worked hard for what I've got, somwhynshuld I not enjoy the fruits of my labour as I wish?

Ylil Wed 09-Jan-13 11:46:26

Mishap, it's not a penis extension as I don't have one to extend.

Perhaps you are just envious.

yogagran Wed 09-Jan-13 13:25:22

Just because we drive a sports car doesn't mean that we speed everywhere, I drive one purely because I like the open top, the driving position and it's fun.
As Ylil says "we've worked hard for what we've got so we should enjoy it"

petra Wed 09-Jan-13 13:49:43

Cars, don't talk to me about cars. OH has: 1 classic Merc sports. 1 nearly new Merc sports. 1 restored classic Mini. 1 classic Merc Motohome.
I have a humble Nissan Micra. Cars !!!!!

mollie65 Wed 09-Jan-13 14:22:46

when I was in Canada (many moons ago and being youngish and feckless) I had a 1969 Ford Mustang (fell in love with the badge I think (a racing horse)) 351 V8 and LOVED it although it was impractical, had lots of problems, hopeless on ice, would refuse to start at -10 c and had my son as a toddler to take to and from childminder as well as getting to work in Toronto. Since then I have been sensible and had my current car (VW golf K reg) for the past 19 years!!!!
but it is now dog-haired and dog-eared (thanks to Ollie the lurcher) and I need to get another means of transport. What I really, really want is a convertible
low slung job but I live in the country (down a track) and cannot see it being practical (esp with dog) - maybe when I reach 70 and don't give a hoot who thinks I look ridiculous.
By the way I never speed anywhere - defensive driving is what I practice.

Sue162 Wed 09-Jan-13 16:37:16

Wow!! I am so pleased I am not alone! I shall walk back in to the Gransnet "hall" with my head held high after all!! LOL! (I do see it as a hall with lots of comfy chairs, tea on tap and a bar which opens at about 6.30 pm.) brew wine smile

kittylester Wed 09-Jan-13 16:53:42

Blimey, that bar opens late Sue smile

Sue162 Wed 09-Jan-13 17:21:52

Ah, Kittylester, if you tip the barman, he opens earlier wink

Stansgran Wed 09-Jan-13 19:51:57

The car in my post is an Alfa Spider. And I don't think it is

Stansgran Wed 09-Jan-13 19:55:02

A penis extension.more the other woman as he. Thinks it is really pretty. My ipad is behavin oddly

Sel Thu 10-Jan-13 20:26:08

Oh, what a suprise, on Gransnet! I love cars, current one is a BMW. Fast cars are not about driving fast, they're about acceleration which actually makes them safer as far as I'm concerned. I did have a lovely open top Merc but felt I posed a disappointment - looked good from behind but somewhat aged from the front. Better covered now I feel smile

Ana Thu 10-Jan-13 20:36:29

I'm afraid I always think that way too, Sel - open top sports cars should really only be driven by youngish, Italian-type men or gorgeous women with flowing hair...

Ylil Thu 10-Jan-13 22:01:26

I am gorgeous with long flowing hair��

Sel Thu 10-Jan-13 22:39:30

Ooooh Ylil I looked on your profile and you're 62 - you may well be gorgeous but long flowing hair? You go girl grin

Ana Thu 10-Jan-13 22:51:43

Ylil, you have my permission to drive an open top sports car - go for it! -grin]

Ana Thu 10-Jan-13 22:52:06

grin hmm

glammanana Fri 11-Jan-13 09:27:46

I love my little Audi TT and I don't care if people think a nana like me should not be driving it, I always loved them and was determined to have one because as the saying goes "I am worth it".
Glass I love the MR2 I had a friend abroad who had one and I borrowed it once what a fab car to drive it's a pity you had to grow up so soon !!!

Ylil Fri 11-Jan-13 10:59:56

Thanks girls, actually I lied, I just had my hair cut! Haha

I drive an SLK and love the luxury of it.

Nelliemoser Fri 11-Jan-13 11:29:56

How do you sports car types do your shopping and other stuff?

I need a car that will take a weeks shopping, or a boot full of plants from our excellent local garden centre and to take stuff to the local tip.

I also need one where I can see over the steering wheel and not through it.
Because of my wonky back anything but a firm seat and a sit up straight drivng position is out of the question. A sports car would be no good at all.

I am very happy with my Renault Clio hatchback.
It has enough ooomph to comfortably get over the Peak District to see DD on the other side. Any more power is not needed, given that most of the journey is limited 50 mph to stop so many motorcylists killing themselves every weekend on the moors above Buxton!

j07 Fri 11-Jan-13 11:45:47

Son has recently acquired a Porsche (or a Porsha as he insists on calling it hmm). It is inclined to give me travel sickness.

glassortwo Fri 11-Jan-13 11:49:41

Ohh jingle lovely.

Nellie I could get a weeks shopping in my boot when it was just DH and I at home. Had a fair size boot, and a small boot in the bonnet as the engine was in the middle.