Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sports cars

(65 Posts)
Stansgran Tue 08-Jan-13 14:59:38

My DH has always had a sports car and this particular one which we have had for about 14 years has a battery which goes flat whenever it is put in the garage and not used for 2-3 weeks. So here we are with the AA and myDH ranting at the car and the makers of batteries etc but not at himself. How do I make him see that either he anticipates that the battery drains for some reason or that he should get a new battery when he finds he is charging it frequently or just isn't it about time he sold the effing lump of money . Are we not too old for sports cars? Perhaps not I hate driving it. On a motorway every lorry driver seeing a woman(even my age) in a red sports car feels obliged to overtake especially if she is only doing 75mph. Rant over. It is now going and oddly enough only one person has the knowledge of where the spare keys are the mobile charged so the garage can be phoned.........

Nonu Tue 08-Jan-13 15:06:11

Boys and their toys Stansgran !!!

What to do with them !!

wink

tanith Tue 08-Jan-13 16:26:18

My sister in law recently turned up to a family meal with a new sports car, very nice I was envious. I asked her husband during the meal if it was a present to herself , he said yes it was but she'd only driven it a couple of times as she felt too near the ground when driving and unsafe.. so he had to take it out for a spin now and then to keep the engine ticking over and he had no idea if she'd even try to get used to driving it or more likely sell it.

So its not only boys Nonu!!

JessM Tue 08-Jan-13 17:19:05

Yes that is true. People of both sexes buy these pointless, gas guzzling status symbols. There is nowhere on public roads where they can be driven to spec.
I might be envious of those who have enough money to squander on one - but what are they for other than showing off?

Gally Tue 08-Jan-13 17:57:34

I had a sports car for years. I used it daily until I sold it for a 'grown-up' car last year. It was economical to run, didn''t guzzle gas and was cheap, eventually, to insure. Not all sports cars are status symbols and I certainly didn''t feel show-offy when driving it confused

janeainsworth Tue 08-Jan-13 18:12:50

Oh dear! I have had a Mazda MX5 for the last 10 years.
It's now 17 years old and I'm resisting all efforts to make me swap it for something more sensible until it falls apart, or I do, whichever happens first.
I love the feel of driving it - and it's just a beautiful, classically designed carsmile

Nonu Tue 08-Jan-13 18:16:26

Too true Tanith .

Anyway , off for a nice swim at club .

grin

Mishap Tue 08-Jan-13 18:31:49

Don't get me on this one!! Cars are for getting from A to B safely and if possible comfortably. They are not penis extensions.

I think it should be illegal to manufacture a car that has the potential to exceed the speed limit - if it is illegal to go a speed X, then what is the point of a car that can do speed X+?

We pay a huge price for this vanity - bereavement and disability; wrecked lives.

I have never understood what it is all about. Whatever gene it is that makes people enjoy moving at speed was obviously not one that I inherited - all I can see is the misery that it all causes.

I should rejoice in the flat battery stansgran and let the darned thing stay in the garage!

Ana Tue 08-Jan-13 18:35:04

It's all go, isn't it Nonu? grin

DH still drives a T reg 3ltr Ford Capri and is now spending a fortune on having it refurbished (not for the first time...). It eats petrol and is a devil to park, but he loves it and tinkering with it keeps him happy. As long as I never have to drive it...hmm

JessM Tue 08-Jan-13 19:00:02

No offence meant folks - I was thinking of a brand new super high powered thing - like Clarkson acolytes drool over. I know someone who is getting one so it was on my mind...

Ana Tue 08-Jan-13 19:02:52

Well yes, but DH's old Capri can easily get up to 120mph (so he tells me!). For a lot of men I think it's the engine power that really does it for them, as well as the looks of course.

crimson Tue 08-Jan-13 19:13:08

Is it definately the battery? I'm only asking cause I had that sort of trouble with a car and it was the alternator and, one day it just died on me as I was going round a corner. I do think some cars are a thing of beauty [like aircraft]. And men so define themselves with their cars. I always think one of the worst things for a man as he gets older and his health fails is giving up his car; I've seen it happen to friends and relatives [I'm not referring to your DH when I say that Stangran]. Although I have a sensible old ladies car I do sometimes long for something like an old Citroen 2CV; we once travelled oop north just as they were having a Citroen Rally somewhere and every other car looked like a little dustbin [some with trailers]. It was like being in a Noddy book.

annodomini Tue 08-Jan-13 19:53:49

I used to have a car (Morris 1100) - totally unsuitable for the terrain in Kenya - which kept on dying on me. I discovered that the battery terminal was coming detached from its connection. I leapt out of the car on a roundabout in the middle of Nairobi (risky!), shoved a bit of silver foil from a bar of chocolate onto the terminal and reconnected it. That improvised repair lasted for months. The Elastoplast I used to fix a petrol pump lead lasted a year and was still on when I swapped the car for a much more suitable VW 1300 Beetle. If I hadn't got married when my contract in Kenya ended, I had plans to buy a MG midget. Did I make the right choice? hmm

FlicketyB Tue 08-Jan-13 21:33:03

I just like having a car that is a bit unexpected. I have run three sports cars in my time, none of them gas guzzlers, and I never drove them at excessive speeds. By the time I bought them they were all elderly and run down but fun to own and could be guaranteed to catch people by surprise because the image of middle aged professional woman with spouse and two kids didnt match the car, or vice versa.

My most 'successful' car was a Saab, not a sports car, that was 15 years old when I bought it, and which I owned when DS was at secondary school, a private school, where quite a number of fathers had fairly upmarket company cars. The novelty of the car, its dilapidated condition and elderly registration number, did, so my DS told me, give him considerable street cred and status among his peers.

Sue162 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:41:01

Well I am sorry to say that I have a beautiful MX5, 2 litre, and it is a total joy. Unlike my DH's very sensible car, it is a delight to drive and makes me feel twenty years younger. Top down on a sunny day and life feels really good. I know I will have to give it up eventually but just seeing it glowing in the car park gives me a thrill. I will now get my coat, bend my head, and shuffle off Gransnet before I get too many rotten tomatoes thrown at me!!!
grin shock wink

PS : please let me know when it is safe to come back in............ smile

annodomini Tue 08-Jan-13 22:09:55

Sue162 envy

yogagran Tue 08-Jan-13 22:55:31

I have an MX5 too Sue, have owned one for years now, had an older one which I was very fond of, then it gradually got to the stage when it was costing quite a bit to keep going so three years ago I changed it for a newer model. I love it, the roof comes down whenever the weather is reasonable, even through the winter! But I do have to borrow OH car if I take the dog anywhere!

Gally Tue 08-Jan-13 23:16:32

jane sue yoga mine was an MX5 too! I do miss it but see it every day as the local paper shop owner bought it. I had a Triumph Spitfire until DD1 arrived - sadly I couldn't fit her carrycot onto the back shelf so it had to go! sad

yogagran Tue 08-Jan-13 23:22:40

We're beginning to create an MX5 appreciation club!

Bags Wed 09-Jan-13 06:12:48

Engines that were only made to go up to the speed limit would be very inefficient – going uphill, for instance, they would probably need to burn an excessive amount of fuel to shift the tonnage. Engine 'strength' isn't just about speed.

kittylester Wed 09-Jan-13 07:18:32

crimson my first car was a Citroen Dyane. My best car was a Peugeot 505, known as the aircraft carrier, which was an eight seater and, mostly, started first time over the 11 years I had it!

I think that DH was feeling the loss of his youth when child number 4 came along as he went shopping for a suit and came back a with 10 year old MGBGT - really useful confused

Mishap Wed 09-Jan-13 10:13:43

When the petrol rationing happened under Heath and a 50mph limit was set, acidents, injuries and deaths shot down. I would be quite happy to see a return of a 50 limit.

The incentive to create efficient cars that could climb hills but still not go over the speed limit would be there if legislation to outlaw cars that could exceed the limit were forthcoming.

We have been brainwashed into thinking that we need to get up and go and do everything at speed - slowing down is good, both in the car and in life.

glassortwo Wed 09-Jan-13 10:49:02

I had a MR2 until 5 years ago, until I started childminding my DGS and my DD said that it was time I grew up and got a grown up car shock

Bags Wed 09-Jan-13 10:53:25

I know so much about cars, I don't even know what an MR2 is. <Heads Wikiwards> wink

glassortwo Wed 09-Jan-13 11:02:22

bags here
mine was racing green goes away weeping!!!!!