Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sports cars

(66 Posts)
Stansgran Tue 08-Jan-13 14:59:38

My DH has always had a sports car and this particular one which we have had for about 14 years has a battery which goes flat whenever it is put in the garage and not used for 2-3 weeks. So here we are with the AA and myDH ranting at the car and the makers of batteries etc but not at himself. How do I make him see that either he anticipates that the battery drains for some reason or that he should get a new battery when he finds he is charging it frequently or just isn't it about time he sold the effing lump of money . Are we not too old for sports cars? Perhaps not I hate driving it. On a motorway every lorry driver seeing a woman(even my age) in a red sports car feels obliged to overtake especially if she is only doing 75mph. Rant over. It is now going and oddly enough only one person has the knowledge of where the spare keys are the mobile charged so the garage can be phoned.........

j07 Fri 11-Jan-13 11:53:26

It's not lovely when he puts his foot down and I feel like my stomach has been left behind! hmm grin

He assures me we are still within the speed limit. (humph!)

j07 Fri 11-Jan-13 11:54:11

Give me our super-comfy Volvo any day.

glassortwo Fri 11-Jan-13 11:56:51

grin you always seem to be going faster than you actually are, its when you are low to the road. wink

glassortwo Fri 11-Jan-13 11:57:50

jingle my DH had a volvo a few years ago and that was some speed machine took me by surprise, lovely car to drive and very comfortable.

Ylil Fri 11-Jan-13 15:19:02

I can get the shopping in the boot of my SLK.

j07 Fri 11-Jan-13 15:23:04

Yes, but there's this thing it (the porsche that is) can do where it suddenly shoots forward. confused And it makes a roo-oar sound. Frightens the you-know-what out of me.

j07 Fri 11-Jan-13 15:24:55

Yes Ylil there is a surprising amount of carrying space (boot and in front where engine should be) with the porsche. It's not all bad.

Ylil Fri 11-Jan-13 16:05:16

Mine can shoot forward too, it's called acceleration lol. My previous car was a Lotus Elise, that was a beautiful,car to drive but very different to the Mercedes.

j07 Fri 11-Jan-13 16:33:03

Yes but it seems so sudden with the porsche. And there's the roarie noise. hmm

j07 Fri 11-Jan-13 16:33:58

It could be because the engine is in the back. (why?) It makes it feel as if you are being shot forward from behind. Well, you are I suppose.

annodomini Fri 11-Jan-13 16:48:35

To get in and out of a low-slung sports car, you need to be physically fit. Getting in and out of a Porsche with my left arm in a big sling was not easy and certainly not elegant.

moomin Fri 11-Jan-13 16:50:14

I had an MGBGT back in the '70s and loved it! Also shared with exDH a TR6 which was a lovely car as well, then the kids came along and the MG had to go when eldest DS had to fold in half to sit in the back on the battery housing - before the days of compulsory seat belts in the back shock! However he seems to have inherited my love of cars as he has a little (very, very fast - sorry ...) Caterham which is quite scary!

My OH and I have considered an MX5 for quite a few years, no good when I had my greyhound. But now I'm dogless? Maybe, but for how long would we be able to physically get in and out wink

Sel Fri 11-Jan-13 16:50:45

and would have raised a few eyebrows if it was from the driver's side Anno grin

annodomini Fri 11-Jan-13 17:54:13

Sel- I was hoping nobody would have noticed that. grin

j07 Fri 11-Jan-13 18:16:36

Yes Anno. And you forget each time how low it is. And land on the seat with a bump. hmm