Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gransnet?

(256 Posts)
skybluepink Fri 18-Jan-13 10:28:17

As a single person [I do have a grandniece who is a cutey pie ]I don't like the word Gransnet as feel it is not all encompassing & we should be respected for our individauality as people not to focus on our age often causing the most concern. I suppose this is nit picking but I still feel mentally I am in my 30s ??!! Silver surfer is more fun.

Ella46 Fri 18-Jan-13 10:34:37

sky this is a forum for grandparents and I like being a gran, perhaps you would be more comfortable on a different type of forum?

I still feel 30ish too smile

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 10:35:39

I think Silver Surfer is horribly patronising as well as inacurate. Why do you think that it"respects individuality" (I'm not sure what that means) but Gransnet doesn't? By the way, why do old women, in particular but some old men too, announce that they feel so much younger mentally as if this is something praiseworthy? Seems bizarre to me and, interestingly, they are often the ones with the most rigid and fixed viewpoints.

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 10:36:07

Whoops – inaccurate with two cs.

Barrow Fri 18-Jan-13 10:38:40

I don't have children but don't think I am excluded from anything on GN. Of course there are some subjects I don't join in with but the things discussed are not limited to those affecting grandparents.

Ella46 Fri 18-Jan-13 10:40:34

Well, personally I would rather have a younger outlook on life than feel like a crabby old woman.

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 10:48:24

Who are you calling crabby *Ella46? grin Actually my point was a serious one. I have noticed that a lot of older women who claim still to feel that they are anything from 16 to 30 when, in fact, they are anything from 60 to 80, are the very ones locked into their past and unable to adapt to minor or major changes in society. It is, actually, anything but a younger outlook on life and increasingly out of touch with modernity. Obviously, not all but quite a surprising number. Whereas, those who are comfortable with themselves at their age, whatever it may be, seem far more open-minded and up-to-date.

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 10:49:17

grin

glassortwo Fri 18-Jan-13 10:49:42

Sorry that made me laugh!

Riverwalk Fri 18-Jan-13 10:52:25

sky Gransnet is an entirely all-encompassing name for a board aimed at grandparents.

A number of members don't have grandchildren, or children, but presumably they are comfortable here. In fact, come to think about it, there's not much talk of grandchildren anyway! smile

As for 'silver surfers' I really dislike that term, along with the likes of 'cougars' and my pet hate 'young at heart'.

Ella46 Fri 18-Jan-13 10:54:34

absent I wouldn't dream of calling anyone on here crabby! grin

Ella46 Fri 18-Jan-13 10:57:04

I am very comfortable with my head being 30ish and my body being 66ish too.

Ana Fri 18-Jan-13 11:00:54

I, too, hate the term 'silver surfers'. For a start, I'm not even going grey, never mind silver!

Bags Fri 18-Jan-13 11:01:54

Gofrit, absent! grin Oh how I've missed your gransnet input!

I also get sick of women in their fifties and upwards insisting they still feel a couple of decades or more younger in their heads. Does that mean they haven't carried on being educated/educating themselves as they've grown older? Does it mean they think exactly the same way about everything as they did when they were young women? If so, I'm unimpressed.

I have moved on physically and mentally since I was a naive young woman, and bloody glad I am too for the mental development. That's what it is, you "oh-I'm-still-young-in-my-head" freaks – development. If you haven't carried on developing, you've stagnated. As absent says.

Which DOES NOT mean that you can't still enjoy things in the same way as you did when you were young which, in my less crabby moments, is what I suppose you really mean. If so, say so, instead of clinging on to youth for its own sake.

Please.

Bloody Yoof Culture.

Elegran Fri 18-Jan-13 11:03:08

I am a grandmother, I am 73, but my hair has not yet gone silver so I don't feel that I am a silver surfer.

Ella46 Fri 18-Jan-13 11:09:25

I think we're saying the same thing in different ways Bags, which is fine.
My brain is still absorbing stuff, not rigid and uninterested and old.

I can describe it in any way I wish to.

Lilygran Fri 18-Jan-13 11:13:20

My grandmother at 99 told me she still felt just the same inside as she had when a girl. I thought what she meant was that she was still open to new experiences and new ideas (which she was) even though she was no longer physically strong. She wasn't happy about the physical limitations imposed by ageing.

kittylester Fri 18-Jan-13 11:18:38

Exactly Lilygran, Ella smile

I don't ever intend to be a 'silver surfer' however old I get - I aim to be a mouseybrown with blonde and greyish streaks surfer till I die!

Anyway, what does it matter what Gransnet is called - if it suits stay, if it doesn't, don't.

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 11:21:04

Ella46 Of course your brain/mind is not rigid, uninteresting and old and nor is that of most, if not all Gransnetters. Of course you can describe it in any way you like – I would just find someone who is clearly in their sixties claiming that they still feel 25 inside misleading if they actually meant the same thing that you are saying.

Another violent agreement, I would suggest. smile

Ella46 Fri 18-Jan-13 11:21:14

I don't feel like a "freak".

Ella46 Fri 18-Jan-13 11:23:14

smile

Grannyeggs Fri 18-Jan-13 11:29:06

Gransnet is what it says on the tin. Silver Surfer is not howI feel, nor do I feel like 25, th ank goodness. I am blondish and intend to stay that way as long as I can afford the colour. I am more lurker than surfer.

absent Fri 18-Jan-13 11:30:37

Silver lurker sounds like some sort of creepy crawly found in a damp basement – I don't think we want to associate with that. grin

gillybob Fri 18-Jan-13 11:31:25

I really dislike the term "silver surfer" and it certainly does not conjure up a feeling of fun for me. Quite the opposite actually.

I think sometimes Bags I do find it difficult to accept that I am 51. I remember my mum was "old" and stuffy at 31 and I didn't want that to happen to me. I look in the mirror and I see a 51 year old (sometimes 91 year old) looking back at me but inside I feel so much younger.

Not putting my point very well, but I hope you know what I am trying to say.

confused

Grannyeggs Fri 18-Jan-13 11:33:36

Yes .*absen*, I used to find those in the grate in the first house we rented, it was damp and dark, silver fish I think?