Gransnet forums

AIBU

Gransnet?

(257 Posts)
skybluepink Fri 18-Jan-13 10:28:17

As a single person [I do have a grandniece who is a cutey pie ]I don't like the word Gransnet as feel it is not all encompassing & we should be respected for our individauality as people not to focus on our age often causing the most concern. I suppose this is nit picking but I still feel mentally I am in my 30s ??!! Silver surfer is more fun.

soop Wed 23-Jan-13 12:21:02

NellieSmol Nowt wrong with you. You are one of the good gels. smile

Smoluski Wed 23-Jan-13 12:16:06

Can own up to giving E 's father a b****y good hiding and a taste of of his own medicine...and kicking his front door,and trashing his car in a fit of motherly fury,quite unlike my normally gentle self,a blind eye was turned by the authorities when he reported it.....blush

I stole OH's chips last night when he wasn't looking..

gillybob Wed 23-Jan-13 12:10:27

You are such a bad example to us "honest" Gransnetters Glass.

If my dad knew I was mixing with the likes.....................

...........grounded for the rest of my life ! shock

glassortwo Wed 23-Jan-13 12:07:18

when I have to confess to three of those so join you both in the dock
I left Tesco without paying for toilet rolls which were hung on the hook on the trolley.
I took paperclips from my employer.
I drove without insurance when I was 17 and 3 days, license applied for and DH said on a quiet country road go on have a go (in his Dads car) you never see another car down here, so I got into the driving seat went 10 yards and around the corner came a police car and I drove into the ditch, I had points on my license before it was even delivered grin

Marelli Wed 23-Jan-13 12:01:51

shockgrin!

whenim64 Wed 23-Jan-13 11:59:51

We share criminal tendencies Marelli! grin Those two are the same as mine, but my third is reckless arson (holding a bunsen burner by a table leg in school as a teenager). The head told me I was lucky I didn't set the physics block on fire and did I know you can get life for arson?!

Marelli Wed 23-Jan-13 11:51:33

I did take a handful of paperclips from the office once, whenblush - oh, and now you mention it, did drive (very probably) under the influence of alcohol in the small hours of one night when I had THE phone call that my daughter was in labour. I'd had a couple of drinks, gone to bed, and hadn't given it a second thought when I jumped in the car to go to her! hmm

whenim64 Wed 23-Jan-13 11:39:49

Aahhhh! Criminal....if you take a look at offences committed over the course of many years, there are probably many of us who would/could be described as 'criminal.' One of the first training exercised a student probation officer participates in is to help to cover a sheet of flipchart with the names of offences they know about e.g. shop theft, common assault, driving without insurance, driving under the influence, criminal damage, arson, harassment, benefit fraud, theft from employer, drug possession and so on....

It's surprsing how many we might have done ourselves. I've got three on there, undetected so no convictions. Any other criminals like me??? grin

watch me get expelled from Gransnet now!

annodomini Wed 23-Jan-13 11:12:59

You think a criminal gran would admit it, absent? grin

absent Wed 23-Jan-13 10:32:28

Nanban I agree that the name Gransnet does what it says which is provides an internet forum for grans (which can be read as both sexes). While the forum itself is welcoming to all kinds of grandparents and also people of the same sort of age range – although I'm not too sure how welcome criminal grans are but then I don't actually know of any on Gransnet – the name Gransnet remains entirely neutral. Better that way, I think.

Marelli Wed 23-Jan-13 10:28:27

Sensible comment there, Nanban. smile

Nanban Wed 23-Jan-13 10:25:00

I read the phrase Nothing wrong with it - I think we should rephrase that and say there is everything right with it; it does what it says - welcome Grans [and that doesn't specify gran -dads, or gran - mothers] and it doesn't say Old Grans or Young Grans, Rich Grans, Poor Grans, Criminal Grans blah blah. It's a simple word that covers us all; we are all different, all have something to say and welcome anyone who wants to read. If someone wants something different go invent your own.

Lilygran Tue 22-Jan-13 16:36:10

That is such a sad programme! So many people with no family or no-one they are still in contact with.

MargaretX Tue 22-Jan-13 16:10:19

I agree, sometimes i have felt that my friend was not right but then she had visited so many old people in those days, and it goes without saying that there would be exceptions. There are some nasty old people who get visitors. Then there are old people who really don't want to be bothered with others as you see some times on the BBC 'Heirhunters' very often pride or being offended started them off and they couldn't back track.

soop Tue 22-Jan-13 15:02:17

speck...Yay! smile

specki4eyes Tue 22-Jan-13 14:58:57

What a daft thread this is - I read through a couple of pages and then lost the will..'Gransnet' is a great name - it does what it says on the tin. If it was called 'Silversurfers' for instance, I would never have even looked at it. Leave it alone and stop wasting the forum space.

harrigran Mon 21-Jan-13 22:44:02

DH's grandmother had GC in their 50s when she died.

jeni Mon 21-Jan-13 20:34:19

I had a patient who was a gran at 30 her mother and gran were still alive!

Marelli Mon 21-Jan-13 20:26:42

I agree with you absent - there's nothing wrong with it.

gracesmum Mon 21-Jan-13 20:25:57

I may have missed something but I don't see how you can join something like the All-England Tennis Association and complain that it doesn't include football players in Abu Dhabi or for that matter Gransnet but don't like the name hmm

absent Mon 21-Jan-13 20:23:31

And there's nothing wrong with it either…

Elegran Mon 21-Jan-13 20:19:29

You could be a Gran at 32, given the present age of consent of 16, and at an even younger age if your grandchild was born to a "gymslip mum"

I can't see GNHQ changing the name anyway. It is too well entrenched in its original name.

petra Mon 21-Jan-13 19:41:59

I think Skybluepink should go and join The Flat Earth Society. I think she would be more at home there.

Ella46 Mon 21-Jan-13 19:39:27

Yes, but I wasn't objecting to non grandparents, I just wondered if she might prefer a different forum.
Sky said she didn't like the name.........confused

Bruha Mon 21-Jan-13 17:44:48

Ella46 it was your reply to Skybluepink or am I missing something confused