Gransnet forums

AIBU

or even childish - but does anybody understnad how I feel?

(74 Posts)
gracesmum Fri 25-Jan-13 14:58:18

I belong to a book group, have done for about 15 years. Great group of women, have become close trusted friends, but over the years we have lost a few by the wayside - 1 moved away, 2 sadly, died, 2 had to give up attending regularly because if pressure of work but we see them at the occasional lunch so of course there have been some new members. The latest recruit is somebody I do not warm to, but 2 good friends think the sun shines out of her every orifice so I keep mum and wonder if I have perhaps misjudged her.
Recently I seemed to have been missed off the group email address list and although it wasn't serious, I felt a bit out of things when it transpired we had agreed to buy a big bouquet for a member who has been ill, so I was in the dark as to why the others started putting money on the coffee table! No problem there but what hurt was that the relevant email had gone round the group, been replied to, added to and nobody noticed I wasn't on it. When I commented(tongue in cheek with an smiley) I got a reply from the aforementioned newest member , saying"*Tan-trum*!" I imagine she was trying to be funny but I felt hurt. Maybe a little "Sorry GM, oops, simple oversight, etc "would have just restored my amour-propre but I just want to walk away. Of course I won't as I would be cutting off the proverbial nose.

soop Fri 25-Jan-13 18:40:35

I'm with Jingle on this matter. gracesmum To dwell on this particular member's lack of good manners, will make you feel hollow inside. Head high...shoulders back...onward - and no looking back. You deserve better. flowers

gracesmum Fri 25-Jan-13 19:32:03

I too agree with jo7 and soop but appreciate your understanding. I decided to play the pathetic - emailed to say unfortunate timing, she had quite upset me, feeling fragile as had had excruciating cortisone injection in wrist and v. painful (that is true - the first injection I had was a breeze and wondered why the reeptionist had been so sympathetic when I booked it. )This second time, I knew why!! Seemed to take for ever while doctor guddled around in the joint. Got to go back for other wrist some time - might decide I don't need it!!
Oddly enought the next meeting is at my house and she has just sent an email round to say she can't make that one. hmm

j07 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:35:59

" Head high...shoulders back...onward - and no looking back"

Good old soop. Quite right too. Love it! smile

j07 Fri 25-Jan-13 19:36:40

I've heard about those injections gracesmum. sad

Tegan Fri 25-Jan-13 19:43:17

Email thing was obviously an oversight but snide comment just proves that your original opinion of her was correct. Agree you need to act really pleasant and rise above it but how about having a good shout of 'BITCH' on here to get it out of your system. I once invited someone to join our mother and toddler group [she wasn't from the area] and she just dominated it. One of those women that, as we all bemoaned the fact we'd had no sleep for x number of months/years would boast about how her four were always in bed by 6 and slept till 8 the next day [also they never chose to watch childrens programmes but preferred the open university]. So wish I'd never mentioned it to her.

Lilygran Fri 25-Jan-13 19:53:57

Anyone would feel a bit upset if they hadn't been told about a group activity. And her remark was rude and uncalled for. You may need a better email system, though. Is it a tree or a group message? Trees are always going wrong....

petallus Fri 25-Jan-13 20:03:31

Yes, I would feel upset about being missed off the e-mail list.

As for the tan-trum remark, how bloody annoying.

Watch out for that new one!

MaureenM Fri 25-Jan-13 20:39:57

My book group has had a lot of interesting characters over the 22 years I have been in it. An alcoholic, who turned up blind drunk, an ex literacy advisor, who would tell us off if we didn't talk one at a time or started doing local gossip. But I love going each month, whether I have read the book or not. If the E mail had been sent to every one in my group, I would have thrown a dramatic tantrum over being left off the E mail in a way that they would all laugh, when I turned up for the next meeting. I'm not very good at ignoring things, but I hasten to add - I am easy to get on with (just don't cross me)

gracesmum Fri 25-Jan-13 20:52:49

As we say in Scotland "Nemo me impune lacessit"...I think

Mishap Fri 25-Jan-13 20:55:38

No local gossip at book club!? - our book club is the only way I keep up!

JAB Fri 25-Jan-13 21:25:05

Hi Gracesmum just wondering if as the next meeting is at your house & she is not coming, if you could perhaps use a bit of skullduggery, re. being left of the list, don't mention her at all but query if the list could be double checked to make sure no one else has been accidently missed off from the list of those to receive the E.Mails, as you know how much it hurt you being missed out and you would hate any one else to feel as upset as you did. I bet they would all be apologising to you for not noticing. As for her, forget her, whatever you do don't let her know she has upset you, she is probably very unsure of herself and is trying to push her way in to get recognised, and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time,enjoy the next meeting.

NfkDumpling Fri 25-Jan-13 22:14:19

I'm with Ariadne and When . It could be that she sees you as a competitor in the groups hierachy. I've found being very friendly and charming really unsettles someone like that. Also if you smile sweetly when you say something catty - using conflicting body language - is good fun.

hummingbird Fri 25-Jan-13 23:15:18

I'd have said 'you think that was a tantrum??? You want to see me when I REALLY get going!' Cheek!

Sel Fri 25-Jan-13 23:50:11

Tegan Open University - know the sort but not to that level grin

grannyactivist Fri 25-Jan-13 23:58:33

I think with group emails it can be quite easy to leave someone's name off and not notice it, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. I expect people will naturally feel bad about it. The 'tan-trum' comment should be ignored; it was insensitive at best and puerile at worst. You should demonstrate sweetness and light and thereby will have people commenting on your graciousness. smile
Alternatively you can make a snide comment back. May not help you to make friends and influence people, but a still, a moment's pleasure........ wink

FlicketyB Sat 26-Jan-13 08:34:13

Personally because I am a niggly person I would have replied with false seriousness to her email expressing my deep distress that my email had disturbed her so much and that after re-reading it I was unable to find anything in it to cause disturbance, it was merely drawing members attention that I had been left of an email list, this sort of thing happens quite often in every organisation and is usually sorted by an email like the one I had sent, but since it had caused distress please could she draw your attention to the distressing material in the email and I would avoid using such language in the future.

petallus Sat 26-Jan-13 09:10:18

I wonder why she put the hyphen in?

Marelli Sat 26-Jan-13 09:17:51

Perhaps she's not terribly well-read, petallus wink. I would have to ask her that at the next meeting, I think - and perhaps suggest books that would help her.....in front of the group, of course! grin

Butty Sat 26-Jan-13 09:20:22

I think a snappish response, pretending it doesn't matter, smiling sweetly and carrying on doesn't really address the issue though, does it? None of that clears the air, if that is what's needed. Just wondering really. Why not just mention it. Be straightforward and clear and no one will misunderstand.
Otherwise just forget it.

annodomini Sat 26-Jan-13 10:20:59

This week, I added a returning member to my email group and sent out a message to everyone. She didn't receive it, although her name is there in the group list. It can happen.

Orca Sat 26-Jan-13 10:21:48

Oh dear. This is where I find myself out of my depth. I would just have said straight out that I'd been missed out and here's my contribution. I think her response was rude though. But am I right in thinking yours is an all woman reading group?

annodomini Sat 26-Jan-13 10:22:06

I should have mentioned that that was also a book group.

gracesmum Sat 26-Jan-13 15:03:40

It is orca - there was a suggestion in early January of including a couple of chaps but most of us didn't feel the dynamic would work as well - and if we had OMG this lady is well into internet dating and somewhat desperate for a fella, it would have been awful to see her flicking her hair and simpering. (Speaking objectively of coursegrin)

Nonu Sat 26-Jan-13 15:14:13

Why does your description of said woman not surprise me at all ? Perhaps if she gets a bloke she might be sweeter !!!!

sunshine

petallus Sat 26-Jan-13 15:18:47

Er..... !!