Gransnet forums

AIBU

Getting your directoire gusset in a twist

(123 Posts)
vegasmags Sun 10-Feb-13 22:57:17

I've been absent from the forum for a few months - family problems. On my return, I couldn't help but notice that the same refrain is going the rounds - people are being horrible to me or to others, people are pm ing, there are cliques and bullies, JO8 is now in her umpteenth incarnation - how boring it all is and how repetitive.

Just for the record, I've really enjoyed GN. When I asked for ideas on how to entertain my grandson cheaply, I was inundated with constructive suggestions. I love greatnan's jokes which have cheered up many a miserable morning. I am always amazed and in awe of how brainy and well informed some members such as Bags are. Jeni always has something sensible and interesting to say. I enjoy reading the views of people who hold very different opnions to me.

I suppose i just want to say - get over yourselves, some people. It's an internet chat forum. 15 years ago, no such beast existed, so make the most of it. It's wonderful that we can all exchange views. Isn't this something to be celebrated?

NfkDumpling Tue 12-Feb-13 12:24:06

Bloomers = two capacious legs. Thongs = one tight gusset. Only a bloke can say which is sexier. (Prefer Sloggis and comfort myself.)

Galen Tue 12-Feb-13 12:46:37

Romans wore knickers, there are a pair of leather ones in the museum of London.
If you look at mosaics,you can see what look like bikinis worn by some athletes.

vegasmags Tue 12-Feb-13 13:00:24

My grandma wore directoire knickers with a kite gusset - a concept I found very puzzling as a child.

Elegran Tue 12-Feb-13 13:07:14

We need that vicar's wife to enlighten us - fill in the gaps as it were.

When a pair of knickers were two separate legs the gaps must have been draughty.

Elegran Tue 12-Feb-13 13:07:51

And, of course, the cancan was notorious because of the lack of knickers.

absent Tue 12-Feb-13 13:15:54

Galen Wasn't that just the chaps?

Galen Tue 12-Feb-13 13:23:50

No! Women the top half went round their breasts. I think some of the British mosaics show them as well.

Galen Tue 12-Feb-13 13:25:47

Google 'villa de casale' in Sicily.

harrigran Tue 12-Feb-13 14:34:30

My Gran wore directoire knickers in either white or pink silk, she died in 1968 but I got the impression she had been wearing them since she was a young woman. I bet they were quite comfortable to wear.

Nelliemoser Tue 12-Feb-13 14:59:13

Do we assume that those Roman women went about in Britain with their boobs on show, or was it that those who made the British mosaics just hankering after warmer climes? grin

Galen Tue 12-Feb-13 15:02:07

Breast binders have been universal for comfort.

JessM Tue 12-Feb-13 15:26:37

oh elegran was it? Gosh, in my innocence that never occurred to me. grin

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 15:38:40

Oh my goodness! What's happening here

(villa de casale)

petallus Tue 12-Feb-13 16:05:57

It's a builder's bum, isn't it?

Didn't know women could work in the construction industry in those days grin

Ana Tue 12-Feb-13 16:07:39

One of them seems to have a paint-roller in their hand as well....multi-tasking! grin

messenger Tue 12-Feb-13 16:10:50

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Elegran Tue 12-Feb-13 16:14:02

Jess They were very good at swishing the skirts around showing not-a-lot so that the audience were roaring for more - then finished by bending over with the back turned and skirts flipped back and up. Cue even more roars, and curtain falls.

A bit like the fan dancers who could keep the feathers over the naughty bits while staying (relatively) decent.

messenger Tue 12-Feb-13 16:30:14

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

messenger Tue 12-Feb-13 16:36:49

As in `JANE` of the Daily Mirror Elegran perfoming on theatre stages in the 1940s that`s where I fell in love with `advanced age` ladiesgrin.Those were the days......

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 16:54:06

The male assistant in John Lewis this morning was showing builders' bum. In John Lewis!! hmm

Ana Tue 12-Feb-13 16:58:28

Standards (and trousers) are slipping!

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 17:07:33

I wore these for a while in the 60's. It was a cold winter and they were fashionable.

janeainsworth Tue 12-Feb-13 17:27:22

I remember those j08!
We used to keep them on under our hockey shorts in the winter, they were visible but as the school uniform rules made no reference to whether bloomers were permissible or not, there wasn't anything the teachers could do about it!
grin

Ana Tue 12-Feb-13 17:29:19

Ours had to be navy blue, whatever type they were!

Marelli Tue 12-Feb-13 17:57:11

jingle, I had a red pair with black lace edging! I wore them underneath a mini dresses in 1965 or thereabouts. grin