Gransnet forums

AIBU

Getting your directoire gusset in a twist

(123 Posts)
vegasmags Sun 10-Feb-13 22:57:17

I've been absent from the forum for a few months - family problems. On my return, I couldn't help but notice that the same refrain is going the rounds - people are being horrible to me or to others, people are pm ing, there are cliques and bullies, JO8 is now in her umpteenth incarnation - how boring it all is and how repetitive.

Just for the record, I've really enjoyed GN. When I asked for ideas on how to entertain my grandson cheaply, I was inundated with constructive suggestions. I love greatnan's jokes which have cheered up many a miserable morning. I am always amazed and in awe of how brainy and well informed some members such as Bags are. Jeni always has something sensible and interesting to say. I enjoy reading the views of people who hold very different opnions to me.

I suppose i just want to say - get over yourselves, some people. It's an internet chat forum. 15 years ago, no such beast existed, so make the most of it. It's wonderful that we can all exchange views. Isn't this something to be celebrated?

annodomini Tue 12-Feb-13 17:57:15

When I was a student, in the days before tights were worn, there was a fashion for long, brightly coloured knickers with lace edging, which nicely covered that gap above the stocking tops. I think it was a short-lived fashion.

Marelli Tue 12-Feb-13 18:05:33

Those were the ones I wore, anno. I remember being at a 'record hop' blush - old name for disco - and 'giving it laldy' while wearing them. For those not of my area - 'giving it laldy' means putting one's heart and soul into the dance! (anno will know that, though)!

Ana Tue 12-Feb-13 18:06:00

Those sound like the ones in jingl's link, anno!

annodomini Tue 12-Feb-13 18:23:28

Sorry, Marelli. I don't know that word - I've obviously been away too long!

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 18:29:01

It was a short lived fashion.

Marelli Tue 12-Feb-13 19:01:21

Thankfully.

Gally Tue 12-Feb-13 19:05:22

Heavens, I remember those. My Mum wore them in the 60's although they were snazzier than Jingles' - psychedelic swirly purple pink and and blue shock

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 19:05:32

They were warm! grin

Actually, there could be a lot to be said for actual directoire knickers, coming down to the knees like they do. Especially on a bike.

annodomini Tue 12-Feb-13 19:52:28

Mine were bright red and royal blue. I think my mum even bought me a woolly pair which were far too warm - even with the Siberian winds of a St Andrews winter.

Ana Tue 12-Feb-13 19:54:38

Blimey, jingl, you'd look a b*gger riding round on your bike in directoire knickers, with your skirt blowing up in the wind....hmm grin

Galen Tue 12-Feb-13 20:41:21

I remember my first year at uni. All the men turned up in ties with pigs on them Ian's mcp initials on the ties.
We ladies retaliated with aforesaid knickers in red with black lace under our miniskirts!

Galen Tue 12-Feb-13 20:41:55

On them with?

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 21:10:43

Ana - trousers. hmm

gracesmum Tue 12-Feb-13 21:21:12

I used to have a pair of those knee length knickers in yellow and black checks trimmed with black lace. I suspect my mother bought them for me as a sort of chastity belt!

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 21:28:02

grin

Ana Tue 12-Feb-13 22:16:07

I'm sure you said you always wear a skirt when riding your bike - something about the rain collecting in it...? Never mind.
#memorynotwhatitusedtobe

j08 Tue 12-Feb-13 22:51:39

Perhaps in the summer? Can't remember. grin

Ana Tue 12-Feb-13 22:53:00

That'll be it! smile

janeainsworth Tue 12-Feb-13 22:54:11

galen DH still has one of those ties grin

Anne58 Tue 12-Feb-13 22:55:14

Ah yes, Summer, I vaguely remember it! Long time since we had one though!

harrigran Tue 12-Feb-13 23:27:53

I had some of them too anno they were called beatknicks and they did keep the draught from your stocking tops. I had black, blue and red pairs with contrast lace. I used to wear them under my nurse's uniform in the winter smile

gracesmum Tue 12-Feb-13 23:38:32

Now that, harrigran, could excite some people's imagination! grin Ooh Matron!
Makes eminent good sense to me though!