Gransnet forums

AIBU

Mixed Gender Loos

(28 Posts)
POGS Thu 21-Feb-13 20:40:00

It is being reported that Brighton and Hove District Council are going to eventually 'do away with' Male and Female only loos at Rottingdean.

I can't stand seeing women leave without washing their hands as it is. I think I would hate having to go inot a loo where men are doing their business. I don't think men would want to use loos where women are either. Is it safe in this day and age?? Is it right for children.??

Am I being fussy and old fashioned. confused

Ana Thu 21-Feb-13 20:43:51

No, I don't think so POGS. I would hate it - and I don't care what they do on the continent or in other countries, I don't think it should happen here. Is it a cost-cutting exercise, I wonder?

JessM Thu 21-Feb-13 20:48:58

They have them in restaurants on the continent often - and often they are smellier than they would be if they were just used by women.

POGS Thu 21-Feb-13 20:52:36

Ana

No it is supposedly costing £140,000 to do the one on the sea front. I think Brighton is hoping to 'roll out' a few more. I think it is more to do with the cross gender empathy of the council. That is fine with me but not when it comes to public toilets.

I wouldn't bat an eye lid if a transexual person came in to a ladies loo if I was using it, so I am certainly not making a fuss about that. It is just not suitable in general. I appreciate that is only an opinion.

vegasmags Thu 21-Feb-13 21:07:32

Lucky people of Brighton in that they have public loos at all! Here in Manchester, the council have closed all public lavatories with the exception of one in Mount Street, near the police station - no, I couldn't work that one out either. There are now supposed to be cafes and pubs which welcome people who just want to use the lavatory, but I have only seen a couple of signs advertising this.

I don't mind the idea of men and women sharing loos - perhaps men would be a bit tidier in their habits if they knew women were around. After all, we don't have segregated loos in our homes. I visited Chester Zoo today with my very tall 9 year old GS and stood outside the mens loos waiting for him with some trepidation. Other women have sometimes made unpleasant remarks when I have taken him to the ladies loos with me, obviously thinking he is older than he is. Shared loos would at least get around this problem.

gracesmum Thu 21-Feb-13 21:31:33

Has this anything to do with you Frank? grin
Have you been out there protesting against "ladies only Ladies" and "gents only Gents"??
Fie on you! grin

Galen Thu 21-Feb-13 21:35:23

grin

gracesmum Thu 21-Feb-13 21:42:21

Seriously, if they had "Mixed Gender" loos at the theatre there might be a chance of getting there and back to your seat again by the end of the interval!

JessM Thu 21-Feb-13 21:44:27

ridiculous complaining about boys in womens loos or changing rooms. fussy lot.
I don't mind drag queens in women's loos (or transexuals) - I assume they will be sensible and sit down to wee.

Galen Thu 21-Feb-13 21:47:34

Good point GM

Deedaa Thu 21-Feb-13 23:12:28

Most of the ones I've used in Italy have had a shared entrance and then divide into men & women once you get inside. There was an interesting occasion when I couldn't work out where to find the key for the Ladies at an Italian truck stop so ended up sharing the Gents with an Austrian truck driver. I think he was more put out than I was. There was also the time that I travelled from Monte Carlo to Antibes sitting on the lap of a total stranger in the train loo ..... but I might save that for another time.

Merseymog Fri 22-Feb-13 08:30:14

As long as there are lockable cubicles it shouldn't be an issue. What I am not so happy about is the trend toward mixed changing areas in swimming pools. Yes they have lockable cubicles but I like to have a shower after swimming and when I shower I like to be able to shower totally naked. Though in single sex changing many people choose to shower in their costumes if you choose to shower nude there isn't normally a problem.

Lilygran Fri 22-Feb-13 09:31:49

'Disabled loos' are nearly aways unisex. Some enlightened public loos have low level urinals in the female (and male, I'm told) areas for little boys. Can't remember where..... In Japan there used to be unisex loos in department stores where laydees had to walk past a row of male backs to get to the cubicles. A more urgent question, I think, is why anytime you use the loo at a motorway services, half the area is closed? And the hand washing thing as well. Go to the loo, go to the mirror, examine teeth, rearrange hair....and leave!

JessM Fri 22-Feb-13 09:36:28

merseymog - yuk. I have come across this twice. Once in the spa area of a local leisure centre (without private shower cubicles. - i never went back)
and also Centerparcs. Smelly noisy crowded and mixed.

Never enough hand driers - and toilets not child friendly. Even new theatres like ours gracesmum!!
Only once got to berate an architect about poor toilet facilities - My BIL re Waterford Airport!

newgran1 Sun 17-Mar-13 21:37:00

when i need the loo i dont care who uses them as long as they are clean

nanaej Sun 17-Mar-13 21:52:06

Think everywhere should have mixed loos ..but in the sense that there are x number of individual toilets with handbasins along a corridor. Doing this in lots of secondary schools I think.

Mamardoit Mon 18-Mar-13 04:48:50

They have done this at the school my sons attend.

They opened up what was the boys and girls toilets and fitted a row of individual cubicles along the wall and a washbasin 'island'.

At first the cubicles were unisex but now they have been designated male/female and have signs on the doors. I presume the female ones have a phs bin and the male ones have wee on the seat!

I would have hated this arrangment but apparently it works better as some DC were affraid to use the old loos.

I have been to another secondary school where they kept separate male and female toilets but again made them all cubicle with a central basin area. They fitted a glass wall to separate the loos from the corridor so that anyone going by can see if anyone is messing about in the toilets.

goldengirl Mon 18-Mar-13 09:08:34

Mixed gender loos can mean a row of enclosed cubicles that anyone can use. They open out onto the street and each contains its own washing / drying facilities. This suits people of certain religious faiths far better than the communual type of mixed gender toilets which are generally unacceptable. They can be unacceptable for a lot of older people too but are useful if you have children of a different gender with you. Unfortunately many councils don't consult properly to find out what people prefer. Also having loos is not a statutory requirement so should we be relieved that there are toilets being made available at all bearing in mind the numbers being closed throughout the country?
My personal opinion? I don't like the 'cell' type toilet but I don't mind a communal washing area as long as there are separate ladies and gents toilets as we have different biological needs.

LullyDully Mon 18-Mar-13 09:31:29

Perhaps men might understand what it means to be in a queue for the loo!!!!

shysal Mon 18-Mar-13 09:58:09

I like the school idea. DGD will not use loos at her secondary school as she has heard that 'bad things happen' . As you can imagine, the first thing she does when back at the house is rush to the toilet!

LullyDully Mon 18-Mar-13 12:50:38

I am wondering what happens in the school loos; though I do remember the ones at Hogwarts. in that case I would wait too. Having said that never have been able to wait too long to go.

FlicketyB Mon 18-Mar-13 15:13:07

I admit I have never seen corporation mixed gender loos but when I have come across them in restaurants and shops it has simply meant a bank of loos in their separate cubicles, as you get in any ladies public toilets and the waiting and wash basin area has usually been in a public space. I think those space age loos you see dotted on odd corners in central London are unisex. There the queue is in the street. I see no dangers for children or privacy if that is the way it is done.

JessM Tue 19-Mar-13 18:24:14

shysal that is not right. If there is bullying in school loos the staff should deal with it. Some schools actually have CCTV in them to make sure they are safe!
A young teenager should not be trying to "hold it" all day. Her parents should contact her head of year or head of house.

Galen Tue 19-Mar-13 18:36:46

We had girls only loos, but we were a girls only school.

Greatnan Tue 19-Mar-13 19:25:11

In Richmond shopping 'mall', the public toilets have one for Parents - what a good idea, as parents of either sex can take in children of either sex. You have to hand it to New Zealand - they come up with some fresh ideas!
I think we have had a thread about school toilets going unisex before, and my opinion has not changed - I would have hated to have to wash my hands with boys about, and I remember occasions when somebody started a period unexpectedly and called out to some other girls for one of them to get her a towel from the machine. Can you imagine doing that with boys around?
Perhaps it is my age, but I think some privacy is still essential, esepecially for teenagers, who are very sensitive to such things