Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect a thread title to give some clue about the contents??

(65 Posts)
janeainsworth Mon 04-Mar-13 22:59:14

Does anyone else get exasperated by title threads such as 'I can see some logic in this' or 'could we have' or 'quite interesting lol' or 'I'm glad about this' or 'doing it alone' - titles which could mean almost anything?
A recurring theme is how much time we addicts waste spend on Gransnet and I get cross when I open a thread with a mysterious title, only to find its something inconsequential that I'm not interested in.
Worst of all is when the mystery title introduces a message which contains only a hyperlink to some article which I then have to click on, and then wait till the link opens before discovering I'm not interested in that either!
Rant over!
grin

Nanban Sun 17-Mar-13 19:44:11

Apropos - 91 year old father thread - I got over-excited only to find that he wasn't having a great time with his new baby after all.

Bags Wed 06-Mar-13 17:12:35

I know smile. #piss-taker extraordinaire, that's me wink

Ana Wed 06-Mar-13 16:48:37

Nothing wrong with the odd hey ho here and there! I wasn't complaining...wink

soop Wed 06-Mar-13 16:35:32

Please keep hey-ho-ing Bags I like it that way. grin

Bags Wed 06-Mar-13 16:31:12

'Spect you're right, ana. I really must moderate the severity of those hey hos wink

JessM Wed 06-Mar-13 14:57:58

One option on the threads where someone posts a link without explaining why is to just ignore the thread. I try to stick to this. GN is growing and you could be on here all day if you tried to keep on top of every thread. Full time distraction potential.
I do try to avoid the ones that are obviously going to be "aint it awful" threads as well. Life seems to have enough hassle in it at the moment without going looking for additional reasons to be indignant. Isn't there another thread about this... oh yes the judge not one.

Ana Wed 06-Mar-13 14:21:48

The vast majority of total posts are from non-moaners, though|! smile

Bags Wed 06-Mar-13 13:59:02

Counting from grannylin's Lake District story. I know there were some non-moaners before that too.

Bags Wed 06-Mar-13 13:57:12

Oh well, the smiley posts lasted for seven before someone started moaning again. Hey ho.

Lilygran Wed 06-Mar-13 13:28:17

Agree, Ariadne. It would be amazing if the content gave some clue about the subject. And, personal private moan, I wish people would read or flick through or skim at least one or two of the previous posts. Then we wouldn't go round and round and round and round repeating the same bloody arguments. [exhausted and frustrated emoticon]

Ariadne Wed 06-Mar-13 13:19:17

It really wouldn't make any difference if the header was explicit about the topic, because, as nellimoser says, we'd wander off course as always, wander back if someone pointed us back on course, the someone would say "Have you ever..." and we'd be off again. Lovely!

soop Wed 06-Mar-13 10:19:04

smile

Butty Tue 05-Mar-13 21:09:52

Grannylin That sounds just like the place we go to when we visit the UK. smile
Far from bizarre, in fact. Just a fine and calm place to spend time.

Bags Tue 05-Mar-13 20:52:51

smile

Notso Tue 05-Mar-13 20:48:41

smile

Galen Tue 05-Mar-13 20:37:25

What a lovely simile!smile

Grannylin Tue 05-Mar-13 20:29:48

This has absolutely nothing to do with the OP.Last week we rented a fabulous cottage in the Lake District.I rang the day before to tell the owner we were unsure what time we would be arriving.He said it didn't matter as he always left the keys in the door and lived nearby. On arrival there was tea, coffee, shortbread and a bottle of wine, plus coal and logs for the fire.We paid no deposit and there were no rules.We didn't see him and we left the keys in the door when we left.The most relaxing holiday ever.It's how I imagine Gransnet wink

Bags Tue 05-Mar-13 20:06:11

According to Chambers, it's from Basque. So that explains it.

Bags Tue 05-Mar-13 20:05:01

Same here. Bitta bizarre is good. What a strange word bizarre is!

Ana Tue 05-Mar-13 20:04:28

Why on earth would it be irritating? confused

Notso Tue 05-Mar-13 20:02:22

I like surreal too...it's bizarre grin

Galen Tue 05-Mar-13 19:34:34

I like surreal!

j08 Tue 05-Mar-13 19:30:48

shock Absent!!! OMG! It's really getting personal now. grin

merlotgran Tue 05-Mar-13 19:29:09

Jinglenet versus Gransnet?

Where's Harry Hill when you need him?

absent Tue 05-Mar-13 19:28:26

I suspect that some people find it a bit irritating to look at the active thread and find:

This is nice

This is funny

This is silly but interesting

This is odd

Why should I

Does anybody care

GRANSNET!!!!!!!!!!!!!