Gransnet forums

AIBU

10 bunches of flowers

(53 Posts)
JessM Wed 20-Mar-13 14:20:26

AIBU? DH has sent me a box with 10 bunches of flowers and I feel cross and upset. They are not specially nice. Some of them are a bit battered. I would rather he bought me one bunch of nice daffs or tulips rather than responded to someone's marketing email. I very rarely feel upset with him. I will have to get over this before he comes home. But not sure why this has so far missed the mark. sad

maxgran Mon 25-Mar-13 12:41:58

I don't understand how anyone could get upset when someone attempts to do something nice for them.

Greatnan Fri 22-Mar-13 02:35:27

Jess and Gally - here are some flowers sent with love as I am sure yours were, Jess. flowers

Greatnan Fri 22-Mar-13 02:34:14

As long as nobody sends you white chrysanths, at least in France! (Funerals only!)
The worst presents ever have to be the rod and reel which my ex bought the girls when they were about 12 and 10. They had to be used together and you can guess who used them. No wonder he is ex.

Galen Thu 21-Mar-13 22:32:57

Thought it was! He is really a hell of a character and I love sitting with him!
Do you know him?
I was at uni at the same time at Birmingham. He was always surrounded by womengrin

j08 Thu 21-Mar-13 22:27:55

Wigglys have done quite well out of Gransnet today with their bit of free advertising! grin

grannyactivist Thu 21-Mar-13 22:19:09

It's Crediton Galen. smile

Galen Thu 21-Mar-13 21:24:30

I have to wear tights and shoes at the tribunals, but at home nothing! (On my feet!)
One tribunal member does not wear any shoes or socks. He has no arms or hands and does everything with his feet!
He had an extremely high IQ. At least one degree. I think he speaks 7 languages fluently. I have known him for years . He is mayor of a Devon town. I can never remember if its Honiton or Crediton.
His name is Frank. (Not Hunter)

Enviousamerican Thu 21-Mar-13 21:00:46

Sheep socksgrin

JessM Thu 21-Mar-13 20:21:11

Those Wiggly Wigglers white campions are pretty but vigorous j08 and quite BIG. Bloom for a long time and nice on a summer evening.
Their worms are fantastic.

Bags Thu 21-Mar-13 19:58:04

Neither can I, so I make 'em loose. Socks don't need to be restrictive.

Galen Thu 21-Mar-13 19:51:50

I'm going to call mine ' Human skin' my feet are so painful I can't bear any restriction

Bags Thu 21-Mar-13 19:39:49

And they are made of goat wool. So goat socks as opposed to sheep socks, or petrol/oil socks (nylon, etc), or cotton socks, or silk socks. Cashmere socks are goat socks too of course. I'm going to call my woollen socks sheep socks from now on smile

j08 Thu 21-Mar-13 18:10:48

I bought some plants. Red campions and white campions.

I did wonder about the Goat socks, but it just a trade name. smile

Enviousamerican Thu 21-Mar-13 18:04:27

I just look up Wiggly Wigglers to see what the store is like. I saw Goat Socks! I'm I crazy or isn't that funny? I just had to chuckle and it made me realize I haven't laughed in a long time!(dealing with a bad back)It's not fair you guys get bombarded with American stuff and we hardly get any idea about your lives.

Stansgran Thu 21-Mar-13 11:44:38

I do think some florists try to pull the wool over their customers eyes. A mutual friend wanted to send flowers to my brothers funeral but didn't know where to send them. She had them sent to me and they were so obviously intended for a new baby girl that I couldn't really take them. Months later the friend told me she had requested dark red roses. I think if you get lots of bouquets Then one dodgy bunch can be dismissed but if you rarely get them and you're worried about finance then I can see the point.my DD is wonderful with flowers but she sticks to Waitrose or M&S.

gillybob Thu 21-Mar-13 10:35:41

Good morning JessM I received that offer from Wiggly Wigglers this morning. 10 bunches of flowers for £20 instead of £50. I still think you should have taken a photograph of them and sent it to them with a complaint. smile

Oldgreymare Thu 21-Mar-13 10:33:08

Merlot.... properly awake now! Sorry if I upset you..... I got really fed up just before M/Day when I saw a teenage lad (with a 'minder') buying a last-minute bouquet. Granted they were reduced but they were still far too expensive and some of the blooms were past their best.
Many of the major stores added a bit of pink wrap (and £2) to plants and called them gifts for Mum!
Jess is right about strong emotions creeping out, I would add tiredness as a cause too.

JessM Thu 21-Mar-13 10:03:08

Well that was my conundrum merlot - sometimes strong emotions jump out at you unawares - it is a strange feeling, you should be pleased but this quite strong upset and angry feeling pops up out of nowhere instead. It's usually not about the obvious is it. The reasons for such strong reactions are not necessarily logical.
I think in my case it was background anxiety about unnecessary spending when he has just resigned from a well paid job, and is going to be a penniless student for 12 months so he can change back to a more interesting, but much less well paid career.
Did not mean to upset anyone. And no offence taken.

janeainsworth Thu 21-Mar-13 09:51:19

You weren't harsh merlot sunshine

merlotgran Wed 20-Mar-13 23:56:18

My post was not about being ripped off, Oldgreymare and I consider it to be realistic, not harsh. How can anyone who has just received TEN bunches of flowers be upset with the person who sent them because they are not 'specially nice'.

Oldgreymare Wed 20-Mar-13 23:51:49

A bit harsh Merlot, my earlier point was that the annoyance was that OHs DSs, whoever had sent flowers, probably at some expense and with a desire to please, were 'ripped off' by the particular florists/suppliers.
Jess warm as toast at the races (down filled gilet) But my OH, DS, Tegan and her SO were frozen!

glassortwo Wed 20-Mar-13 22:34:45

merlot sorry, we do tend to have a go at DH, but your right we should count our blessings.

merlotgran Wed 20-Mar-13 22:05:04

I can't believe this thread. Since DH had a stroke he's been unable to buy me even a box of chocs without help from DD. I'd love a bunch of flowers, even if they were from the garage and looking a bit wilted.

Count your blessings, JessM and anyone else who whinges because their bloody flowers are not perfect. angry

Jadey Wed 20-Mar-13 21:47:31

Gally Your post made the hairs on arms stand up. sad

glassortwo Wed 20-Mar-13 20:52:22

jess its when you think someone has taken advantage of them isnt it and charged a fortune for poor quality, and then the petals fall off within 10 mins.
But bless him he was trying to surprise you and its the thought that counts, hope you have made up flowers