Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think that chicken is produced in the UK?

(33 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Thu 21-Mar-13 15:38:08

This lunchtime I treated myself to a chicken wrap from Tesco. It tasted fine but I was horrified to see, on reading the packet(which I should have done before I bought it, I know, I know), that it was made with chicken from Thailand. shock Have I missed the announcement that we do not produce chicken any more? Buying mangoes from Thailand is one thing, but chicken!! There are so many problems with this - support for British farmers, food miles, animal welfare queries - that I'm not sure where to begin. I have complained and will see what, if anything transpires - I'll let you know. [seething emoticon]

FlicketyB Sat 06-Apr-13 08:52:26

NfkDumpling, yes, I mainly eat vegetarian outside the house and frequently feel I get the better deal. The quality of all kinds of meat in chain restaurants is abysmal.

Fortunately I have always loved vegetables and vegetarian meals have always formed a normal part of my families diet.

Grannyknot Sat 06-Apr-13 10:38:31

mishap please put the link to your other thread on here, I can't find it and want to 'sign up'. I would buy British as much as possible.

Last year we went on a road trip to Devon and ended up in Lynmouth in a small 14th century hotel and happened to see the local farmer bring in a big box of fresh produce, we decided then and there to eat in the hotel restaurant that night. The chef proudly told us that he only uses local meat and produce and it was the best meal I have eaten in a long, long time.

sunseeker Sat 06-Apr-13 12:24:47

I shop in supermarkets but ALWAYS read the labels and buy British produced fresh meat and produce. Some time ago I opened a sandwich and found a tiny cobweb in the corner of the packet - dumped sandwich and haven't bought one since

Bags Sat 06-Apr-13 12:58:28

The chicken I ate in Thailand was always very good and very fresh, as was all the other food, now I think about it.

Grannyknot Sat 06-Apr-13 14:40:25

I would happily eat locally bred chicken in Thailand.

Greatnan Sat 06-Apr-13 15:20:24

I had a lot of fun with my daughter's hens in New Zealand. She is now successfully breeding from them. The eggs taste quite different from supermarket eggs and keep their shape when poached.
If you have even a small garden, you could start to keep your own hens - they are very interesting to watch and each has her own personality. I am sure many of you are already doing this. I wish I could but it is not practicable in a second floor flat!

sunseeker Sat 06-Apr-13 15:48:06

My grandmother used to keep chickens and she cooked up the most evil smelling concoction for their feed - the eggs were great though and at Christmas one would be killed for her Christmas lunch. I would help by plucking the chicken but refused to "draw" it, when that was being done I left the room! (wuss emoticon)