Gransnet forums

AIBU

Just heard from DD......

(98 Posts)
j08 Sun 24-Mar-13 17:38:48

that they will not be bringing the grandsons here on Easter Sunday as they are going to a hard boiled egg competition in the local park.

They have come here, and had a lovely Easter Day, (egg hunt in the garden, outing in the afternoon) since the older one was born. And now they are not coming because of a local authority painted egg thing in a poxy Outer London park!

It's not as though they never do anything locally. Only this weekend they have gone to drama/football Saturday morning, then straight on to a cub sleepover, and now older one going swimming with youth club.

She proposed coming here on Easter Monday, but it's not the same. They don't need to do everything that's going. I think she is in danger of making them selfish.

I have said, no Easter Sunday visit, no Easter eggs.

sad

Mishap Sun 24-Mar-13 19:28:22

"I agree with a lot of what you say Mishap, but I can't help feeling that children should have some care for other people's feelings instilled in them."

I am sure they care about your feelings - but perhaps it is a matter of examining your feelings and asking if they are reasonable ones. It is very hard to control how we feel about things I know only too well - but maybe it is not reasonable for you to feel put out about this, so they cannot be accused of not caring about your feelings. I am not expressing this very well really - but I hope you get the gist! I think I am tentatively suggesting that maybe you are being a bit over-sensitive about this. I sympathise, but feel that it is very important that they know they can do new things without hurting you.

They sound like lovely people - enjoy them!

Ginny's comment about risking losing what we hold most dear has to be the crux of the matter.

shysal Sun 24-Mar-13 19:32:04

I sometimes cringe when I hear someone being 'needy'. I always say, and I mean it, that as long as the family are happy and well I am content to see them as much or as little as is convenient to them. DD2 was unable to see me on Mother's Day, as she was out with the childen for the day, and that was the way it should be, as it was her day too. As long as we all know that we care about each other all is well. sunshine

glassortwo Sun 24-Mar-13 20:17:56

jingle does it matter Easter Sunday or Easter Monday, I dont think it does. When we had a young family we took a stand to put down our own traditions and tried to include the older generation, your family has asked you to join them on Easter Sunday you go along and you might even find you enjoy the routine being shaken up a bit, we can get stuck in a rut as to what order we expect things done and our feathers get a bit ruffled but I think if you go with the flow you will enjoy your weekend and maybe even a little bit more than normal... go on give it a go. smile The Grandchildren will be desperate to see you.

grannyactivist Sun 24-Mar-13 20:36:26

Jingl I know what you wrote was written in haste and that you've since had a rethink - you'll cope, the grandchildren will get their eggs, and a 'new normal' will have begun. smile
I am feeling particularly fragile at the moment as I have just bought Easter cards to send to my 'absent' grandchildren; it always gets me a little teary because it sets off a train of thought wondering if I'll ever see them again or, in the case of the youngest, at all. sad
I'm trying hard to count my blessings and am very thankful that I am so involved with my youngest grandchildren.

nanaej Sun 24-Mar-13 20:46:59

I would not ever want my DDs to resent 'having to visit' us! I know I am very fortunate to have family so close that they can pop in regularly and it not be an 'occasion'. So when they have other plans for high days and holidays I don't feel I am missing out.

This year I have offered to do a brunch on Easter Sunday so they can come for an egg hunt & brunch and still have time to do their own thing if they want to. Although oldest DGC only 7 but she still has things at home she likes to do.

I agree with others that sometimes as grandparents we have our ideas about what 'tradition' is but life moves on and traditions get tweaked by the next generation and evolve!

Enjoy your Easter Monday J08 smile

j08 Sun 24-Mar-13 20:51:48

grannyactivist you're right.

Never write a post straight off of the phone!!!

I Will Survive!!! ? ? ?

Sorry if I made you cringe Shysal. #sodoff

POGS Sun 24-Mar-13 20:54:52

Jo

smile

Eloethan Sun 24-Mar-13 23:08:50

Sometimes it can be upsetting when things change or we feel left out or taken for granted.

Personally, though, I don't think it's a good idea to start laying down the law as to when someone can or can't visit. And once visits become duties, which have to be made to keep the peace, such visits become a chore rather than a pleasure.

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 10:09:19

I think I forgot to say thank you for all these very kind replies. I have taken them all on board and it is much appreciated. sunshine

Hug greatly appreciated Ariadne. smile

^Galen (((hug)) to you (as always) x

Mishap Mon 25-Mar-13 10:15:52

Happy Easter! - I am sure that it will be!

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 10:21:56

And to you Mishap. smile

absent Mon 25-Mar-13 11:15:47

Goodness j08 – a bit of a storm in an eggcup really but I am glad that you are feeling reassured and happier as a result of the other grannies' sensible and affectionate posts. They are all good eggs. smile Have a lovely time with your family at Easter whether you see them in the park on Sunday, at your home on Monday or even both.

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 11:28:19

Have just texted DD: "If A (Grandson) did by any chance overhear that they would not be getting their Easter eggs, you'd better re-assure them that they will. On Monday. I can't possibly eat all this lot!"

That will do the trick. (she knows me) smile

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 11:42:57

Sometimes, Absent, I think life is a storm in a teacup.

#ontablets

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 11:43:09

wink

JessM Mon 25-Mar-13 12:15:19

Yes you are being very unreasonable. Choosing not to give them easter eggs sounds like trying to start a fight.
Some of us never see our kids at Christmas, or at Easter or at Mothers Day or at our birthdays. So if you are seeing them over the easter weekend then you are very lucky.

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:25:01

shock Jess! That's not necessary. Oh, never mind! hmm

I've already said it all.

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:30:45

I agree. I probably was being unreasonable.

Can we leave it at that now please. smile

whenim64 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:49:18

Yes, you've redeemed yourself Jingle. We should let it go now. I hope you and the children have a lovely Easter smile

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 13:57:58

You too when. smile

Hunt Mon 25-Mar-13 14:04:33

Years ago I told myself firmly that a day is ... a day. I don't mind when I see all my younger relations so long as I do. My mum didn't like people 'popping in' So we never did and she had to wait for us to find a large bit of time for a 'proper' visit. I firmly told my grandson( who lives quite near) that I loved 'popping in' and so he does.

Maniac Mon 25-Mar-13 15:28:26

I don't expect any visits so I won't be disappointed! Our family have a tacit agreement to avoid driving over bank holidays etc.
It would be a wonderful surprise to see my GS (lives a mile away)any day but that would be a miracle.

j08 Mon 25-Mar-13 15:34:00

Oh, that's a shame Maniac. sad Could you bribe him with a nice big Easter egg? (go to any lengths me hmm)

Galen Mon 25-Mar-13 15:47:38

Well I drove to see my DGD yesterday and had 3 1/2 lovely hours with her while mummy had arrest!

Elegran Mon 25-Mar-13 15:58:57

Was that cardiac arrest, Galen, or was she having a lie-down in a nice quiet secluded police cell?