Gransnet forums

AIBU

Is '30' the new '21'?

(30 Posts)
frida Sun 07-Apr-13 16:16:01

DD is 30 years old next month, her younger sisters tell me it's a big deal and requires 'special' present, card etc? Is this a new trend? Back in the olden days '21' was the big birthday, then it was '18',have I missed something?

Galen Mon 08-Apr-13 21:07:38

I shared my 65th with my aunt who was 90 2 days later.

nonnanna Tue 09-Apr-13 09:01:04

It's certainly a trend now to celebrate those milestone birthdays.

I do think that there are an awful lot of people expecting to celebrate 18,21 and every big 0 these days. If the birthday person wants to do it I'd say go ahead. You've only one life...celebrate. Our family have had several milestone birthdays over the past few years, some of them have shuddered and let it pass them by. Others have fully embraced it and really pushed the boat out with big parties which have been great fun and a lovely way to get friends and family together. Some of them spread their celebrations between drinks with friends, lunch with family, spa day and afternoon tea with girlfriends

As for a 'special' present, we've always tried to make it special to the person it's for and not necessarily expensive. eg A photobook of their life, a home made and decorated cake, a painting, a collage of photos, a plant that they wouldn't have treated themselves to, a spa treat and a falconry day purchased from one of the discount activity websites (Travelzoo - but other websites are available!)

frida Whatever happens I hope your daughter enjoys her thirtieth

Hunt Tue 09-Apr-13 23:39:19

We love parties! The 0s give us a good excuse. We have had a barn dance, a Strictly Come Dancing party with instructor to teach everyone a routine, a picnic at a farm followed by a trip in an Edwardian steam launch, a trip on the Kingswear Castle paddle steamer with buffet lunch, a tour of a stately home with lunch in the tea room, a Golden wedding with service in the church, buffet lunch and a trip along the Oxford canal in 4 narrow boats with streamers and golden balloons. All for between 25 and 50 people. The latest was an Easter themed party for dgs 18th with buffet lunch, cake in the shape of an ice hockey helmet, book of photos, 18 'silly' presents for him to unwrap, presentation on screen with music and pictures of his life so far, and an EasterEgg lucky dip. Our Christmas parties are legendary!

ps Wed 10-Apr-13 23:26:57

My girlfriend, two years before becoming my wife made my 21st Special. Since then I have steered away from celebrating my birthdays prefering to concentrate on my partners birthdays instead.
Sadly the 50th birthday surprise I had in store for my recent ex, a trip to Rome, is not to be so perhaps I will concentrate my efforts on childrens and grandchildrens milestones unless of course miracles do happen but at 64 I will not be holding my breath. Seeing grandaughters little faces light up are priceless moments so I lookforward to them.
I do notice that 30, 40 and 50 appear to be celebrated far more frequently in this day and age, perhaps it is marketing pressure similar to all the other numerous days that seem to be constantly advertised and yes I do believe that 30 is the new 21 however I never did agree with the 18th.