Gransnet forums

AIBU

To avoid doing what I should be doing as it's so boring.

(61 Posts)
gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 13:42:58

Should be starting that stupid ridiculous annoying irritating
bloody RTI (real time paye whatsit) today. Can't be arsed bothered so messing around here instead which is so much more fun. shock

gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 18:56:40

Another little motto of mine is * buy clothes a size too small and then you don't need to iron at all*

Try it. It does work. grin

glassortwo Thu 11-Apr-13 19:49:57

I think we should adopt the bugger it attitude that seems to be going around GN at the minute. I am going to start tomorrow, after I have cleaned up wink

petra Thu 11-Apr-13 20:48:17

Oh how I envy you. I wish I could ignore things, but I can't. I'm a true Virgo.
Fortunately I love ironing. Sometimes I worry myself.

gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 23:01:29

No-one loves ironing petra' !

I think you should start as soon as you open your eyes in the morning glassortwo sadly the poop will hit the fan for me tomorrow when I realise all the things I should have done today still need doing! smile

Ana Thu 11-Apr-13 23:06:37

It was worth it, gillybob, you've kept us entertained! grin

gillybob Thu 11-Apr-13 23:11:23

Thanks Ana we all had a giggle didn't we?

Does you good every now and again. grin

Hunt Thu 11-Apr-13 23:16:30

What's with all this ironing? I can't remember the last time I ironed anything. I fold the clothes when damp, leave them for an hour or so, unfold and hang on an airer beautifully flat. I fold them when dry and put in my nice large airing cupboard. Husband's shirts go on hangers to dry and finish off above a radiator which just takes out the last of the creases. Much, much less time spent than ironing everything. Oh! I forgot, I do iron my enormous double damask table cloth on the rare occasions when it is used.

petra Fri 12-Apr-13 08:28:55

I'm not as bad as I was. I don't iron pants anymore.[ smile]
I have a friend who even irons DISH CLOTHS.

Greatnan Fri 12-Apr-13 08:40:55

I only iron cotton bedding but I do it on a blanket on the floor.Saves having to keep moving large sheets.
My rule for dealing with difficult letters or phone calls is to do them at once -the stress gets worse the longer you leave it.

gillybob Fri 12-Apr-13 08:50:50

I wish I could be the same Greatnan I tend to spot the difficult ones before they are even opened, it's a knack I have developed over the years. The tax office ( too easy) vat (ditto) hospitals ( name stamped on the back ) etc. if they come on a Friday they can wait until Monday. If they come on a Monday then Wednesday is plenty soon enough. Get the picture? grin

Movedalot Fri 12-Apr-13 09:20:13

petra you are not alone! I really enjoy ironing, especially when there is something good on the radio. I think it is something to do with getting order out of chaos, quickly! The rest of my life is freuqently chaotic.

Agree with Ana gilly lightened our day. I plan to seek her out next time I am in need. flowers for gilly

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 10:13:34

That reminds me, it's time I unloaded the dish washer!

sunseeker Fri 12-Apr-13 11:04:00

Bother - that basket of ironing is still there! sad

I have never understood people who like ironing - I had a friend who ironed everything - surely you can get therapy for that!

Oh well, it's not going to do itself so I suppose I had better start ..... unless any of you can think of something better grin

Movedalot Fri 12-Apr-13 11:36:18

anno apparently I load the dischwasher so badly that I am not allwed to do it anymore! Oh dear, what a shame.......... grin Perhaps you should take a leaf out of my book?

auntieboddie Fri 12-Apr-13 12:39:36

I too still have a basket of ironing and it's afternoon already.

What I really don't understand is that now there is so little ironing, just OH and myself, compared to when there was a house full of teenagers, the ironing takes me twice as long to do! I know I'm getting older but it's ridiculous how much time I take procrastinating-see I'm doing it now.

Aah well-tomorrow is another day!

gracesmum Fri 12-Apr-13 12:48:04

You could treat the ironing basket like the compost heap- after 6 months or so turn it upside down and start taking things off the (new) top. They will have been squashed ironed flat by the weight of the clothes on top of them, And it saves on wardrobe and drawer space. Result!

auntieboddie Fri 12-Apr-13 13:22:24

gracesmum

really like your suggestion. Does anyone else think it would be much easier if we just had feathers or fur? think of the time, energy and money we would save?

sunseeker Fri 12-Apr-13 16:34:56

Just after I last posted received a phone call from a friend, she has hurt her ankle and hasn't been able to go out shopping, so off I went and did some shopping for her and then, of course, had to stay for a coffee and a chat - so the damn ironing is still not done!

annodomini Fri 12-Apr-13 17:47:04

Moved, that sounds like a good strategy! A number of couples I know fall out over the stacking of the dishwasher, but as I live on my own, I have no such conflict! wink

gillybob Fri 12-Apr-13 19:00:22

I think I have just worked out my DH's strategy for avoiding some of the housework. Pretend that you can't stack the dishwasher, pretend that you don't know that white blouses and black jeans can't go in the washing machine together,pretend that you don't know what day the bin gets emptied...... Bloody hell why has it taken me so long to cotton on?????

[grrrrr I'm on to you emoticon]

Nelliemoser Fri 12-Apr-13 19:32:18

Auntieboddie are you new to GN? welcome anyway.

If you have a spare bedroom just stick the basket of ironing and the iron in therer and wait untill you need to wear whatever it is needs ironing.
DH does his own but takes hours! He has been known to steam iron everything, sheets included on a single thickness of fabric. #sinkingheart.

auntieboddie Sat 13-Apr-13 08:50:27

nelliemoser
Sorry for not introducing myself-yes I am new to GN. Thank you for the welcome.smile

gillybob Sat 13-Apr-13 08:53:01

Welcome to Gransnet auntieboddie smile

Bez Sat 13-Apr-13 09:10:09

I managed to avoid the ironing yesterday but feel I really must do it today before I plant up a couple of tubs for the patio - bought a beautiful fuschia yesterday for one of them - that was while I was avoiding the ironing!grin

gillybob Sat 13-Apr-13 09:13:02

Good for you Bez playing in the garden is so much more fun that ironing and you will get more pleasure from planting that beautiful fuschia than you ever will from ironing your smalls ! grin