Gransnet forums

AIBU

Dying - to tell or not to tell

(35 Posts)
Nanban Sun 14-Apr-13 10:23:17

There has been a discussion on another website about whether estranged family members [sons or daughters] should be told that their parent is terminally ill.

I am of the very firm opinion that definitely not - it would be too cruel when a person is about to die, having missed so much, that the child turfs up for a deathbed reconciliation - it might make them feel better, but it makes leaving life a whole lot more difficult.

Nanban Fri 19-Apr-13 19:55:04

Of course it's sad - not the dying, but our living is sad. And if at the point of no return, no second chance, the person we love and miss so desperately, turfs up to say sorry - there can be no starting over but the person must still die knowing there was the chance of a better life after all. I see death as peace at last and freedom from sadness and even that must be taken away maybe at the last moment. No, definitely not to tell.

Bags Fri 19-Apr-13 21:20:24

nanban sad flowers

kittylester Sat 20-Apr-13 13:14:22

(((hugs))) nanban

Nanban Sat 20-Apr-13 13:33:19

You are a lovely lot x

salamander Sun 21-Apr-13 10:12:21

I think this is all about a question of choice, obvioulsy compliying and starting with with the dying persons wishes. I am sure in this senario great consideration would have been taken that there still maybe the possibility of rejection and that the 'estranged' may still not wish to rekindle contact under any circumstances. Only those directly involved know the truth of the estrangement - so i think better suited to making any informed decision themsleves.
From an alternate viewpoint and i'm certain does not apply to anyone here as everybody seems very kind and helpful, but life in general is not so clear cut. I have during my life worked with some very unpleasant people - what should be the choice of a dying person who abused and who faced with death is only then seeking peace? sad

absent Sun 21-Apr-13 10:23:46

salamander In answer to your dilemma, the dying person can only request the estranged family member be told of the terminal illness. He or she cannot force that family member to respond.

Bags Sun 21-Apr-13 10:32:01

I'm trying to imagine how I would feel if someone who had abused me left expressing remorse until their death bed. I can't say I feel too good about that.

goldengirl Sun 21-Apr-13 11:54:02

What a difficult subject. The dying person, if given the choice, might wish to let the estranged person know of the situation; but what happens if the estranged person doesn't react, or reacts negatively? How would the dying person feel then? Whilst hopefully surrounded by those who do care, the thoughts might be more with the estranged person rather than those who are actively present and how would this make them feel? It's another case of the minority taking priority over the majority - though far, far more complex. The more I think about it the more difficult the scenario becomes.

Nanban Mon 22-Apr-13 19:46:04

A bit similar to organ donation - the only person whose wishes count are the ones who are either dying, or who have registered as a donor and no relative/looker on should be able to change that decision. Obviously in the absence of either of those two criteria, the decision then becomes very tricky.