Gransnet forums

AIBU

To object to inane 'banter' on serious threads?

(217 Posts)
Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 09:59:27

We are all, presumably, mature adults, and if you have nothing to contribute to a serious, or sometimes tragic, thread, would it not be better to stop trying to trivialise the subject and find another thread where your wittering would not disrupt the flow.
And please don't accuse anybody who objects of having no sense of humour - most of us just know when it is appropriate to make jokes.

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 13:24:05

I asked if I was being unreasonable to object. You are all free to reply if you think that I am being unreasonable. How is that lecturing? Am I not entitled to my views?

j08 Sat 20-Apr-13 13:27:51

Back to my original diagnosis then - boredom. Nothing on the telly?

Nanban Sat 20-Apr-13 13:31:57

Quite right Greatnan - you are entitled to say what you want, how you want, and about whatever and you shouldn't be beaten up over it, even verbally. But then again, the same goes for us all so let's agree to disagree and let's agree that we can approach any topic in whatever way we choose as long as it's not offensive.

And isn't it splendid that we can have such a free exchange of views and not be drummed out of the club!

Ella46 Sat 20-Apr-13 13:32:01

Of course you are entitled Greatnan to your views as am I.
You said "Yes, it does feel like having to deal with naughty children who will do anything to get attention."

I am just saying, you don't have to deal with us.

Just my view.

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 13:34:19

I am never bored, jingle -I have a dozen books waiting to be read and the weather is improving so I will soon be off for a drive and a walk. And there is always something on Radio 4 - 'Any questions' at the moment, so I can shout at the stupid tea-party woman.
You know quite well that this is something that has irritated me before. This time, it was the interruption to the threads on vaccination and education that attracted some irrelevant posts. Why do you do it?

To those of you who have never done this, this thread obviously does not apply to you, so there is no need to be offended by it.

Ana Sat 20-Apr-13 13:34:58

To quote from your post, *Greatnan: "would it not be better to stop trying to trivialise the subject..."

I don't think posters who engage in banter on 'serious' threads are doing that. It's not premeditated sabotage...

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 13:39:19

I said it sometimes feels like dealing with naughty children - I stand by that. I just cannot understand why somebody would want to interrupt the flow of a serious discussion. Of course, not everybody will feel they have something positive to contribute, but why spoil the debate for those who have?
I refute the suggestion that chatting on a forum is in any way comparable to being a professional dealing with a tragedy.

Butty Sat 20-Apr-13 13:39:25

The only time I'll take notice of what can or cannot be posted on threads is when there is a directive from GNHQ. There's always the report button.

Ana Sat 20-Apr-13 13:41:12

Agree, Butty. I was wondering where this subject was covered in the GN Rules...

Ella46 Sat 20-Apr-13 13:41:42

Exactly Butty

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 13:41:53

Sigh. I asked a question. Some people have replied. I did not try to prevent anybody posting anything they like - I just said that I found it annoying.
I am allowed to say that.

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 13:43:10

Hello, ana. I thought you might want to comment.

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 13:45:59

In fact, if I remember correctly, on one thread about a tragic murder, the poster apologised and the post was deleted. She accepted that her remarks had been inappropriate, which I thought was very mature of her.

Galen Sat 20-Apr-13 13:46:34

Ok! Here goes!
I did NOT SAY that it was equivalent!
I said I dealt with tragedy all the time. Sometimes I just feel that things get too heavy and then try to lighten up!
You are quite entitled to your opinion, but not to dictate to us what we may or may not post!
You are at liberty as are all of us to disregard any posts you do not like.

I very rarely get cross on GN but at the moment I am.
I WILL NOT BE DICTATED TO[angry\

Ana Sat 20-Apr-13 13:50:33

Of course I'd want to comment, Greatnan. My opinion is just as valid as yours. None of us has the right, however, to dictate Gransnet Posting Policy.

sunseeker Sat 20-Apr-13 13:54:27

Oh Galen it is so unlike you to get angry - now deep breaths and relax after all, its only a forum not worth raising your blood pressure

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 13:58:23

I am sorry you are angry, Galen - to me your post read as if you were saying that the black humour amongst professional colleagues was no different from the 'banter' which people posted on serious threads. I am sure you would not dream of making jokes about any tragedy outside the professional situation and between your colleagues.

Ana - you are most welcome to post and I expected that you would. I don't believe you do post irrelevant comments on serious threads, so my annoyance is not directed at you.

I repeat once more, I have not said people cannot post what they like, only that the derailment of serious debates annoys me. I hardly think that can be classed as dictating forum rules.

I ask again - why do some people do it?

Grannyknot Sat 20-Apr-13 14:07:19

Dear greatnan I hardly ever get involved in these sort of threads. However, going back to your OP - perhaps the answer is patently obvious: we are not all the "presumably mature" people that you hope would post on a serious thread. I know I can sometimes be hopelessly immature, impulsive, spontaneous, make mistakes etcetera.

The most important thing to me is that we are not all the same, thank goodness, how boring would that be. If someone witters on a serious thread, I ignore it and pick out the bits I want to read.

Witter or not, there is always something to learn from most of the people who take the time to post on these forums.

Galen Sat 20-Apr-13 14:11:18

In other words you're a human being!

Ceesnan Sat 20-Apr-13 14:13:33

Is all this fuss really about Nonu and her prawn cocktail? For Heaven's sake this is Gransnet, not ruddy Question Time! grin

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 14:16:56

You are quite right, Grannyknot, and I will try to ignore the silly posts in future.

Butty Sat 20-Apr-13 14:39:06

In answer to your question then greatnan - Yes, I think you are being unreasonable. What you consider to be inane 'banter' might not be so for others.

As gk says, we're all different, and I'm glad about that. Inclusivity is one of the strengths of GN.

noodles Sat 20-Apr-13 14:42:25

Have you been elected to your position as Overlord of Gransnet, or did you simply decide you were the bestest and smartest Granny of all, so you are entitled to boss the rest of us around?

Don't tell me where or what I may write.

kittylester Sat 20-Apr-13 14:46:10

Ella is quite correct to say that no-one has to deal with us as though we are naughty children. Surely, we are all equal and entitled to equal input, if we wish, regardless of what anyone else may think about it or are some members more equal than others? confused

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 15:20:37

How many times do I have to repeat it? I just asked if I were being unreasonable and some of you said 'yes'. I have not tried to dictate to anybody.
I will try to ignore any more frivolous posts, even when they are on very serious threads.