Gransnet forums

AIBU

To object to inane 'banter' on serious threads?

(216 Posts)
Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 09:59:27

We are all, presumably, mature adults, and if you have nothing to contribute to a serious, or sometimes tragic, thread, would it not be better to stop trying to trivialise the subject and find another thread where your wittering would not disrupt the flow.
And please don't accuse anybody who objects of having no sense of humour - most of us just know when it is appropriate to make jokes.

wisewoman Sat 20-Apr-13 10:04:44

For goodness sake greatnan don't know what brought that on but you sound like a teacher lecturing naughty children. confused

absent Sat 20-Apr-13 10:08:05

I am not going to comment on inappropriate jokes as I am already in deep dog's doodoo over this very thing.

Tegan Sat 20-Apr-13 10:33:04

Yes, I agree but, as I'm supposedly very boring and anal sad it's not surprising. Although think it's ok to go off at a slight tangent sometimes as long as it isn't trivialising the subject of the OP.

absent Sat 20-Apr-13 11:09:02

I have very occasionally been guilty of posting when I have "taken strong drink" and, not surprisingly, the posts were not often to the point. I have suspicions about some other members doing the same thing.

absent Sat 20-Apr-13 11:10:29

Then again in any group of some 15,000 people, there are bound to be a few who are just inane.

specki4eyes Sat 20-Apr-13 11:13:16

Greatnan I do so agree with you. Imagine the angst people suffer when trying to express their feelings and worries on an online forum - to then read daft, trivial banter could put one off ever posting again.
Most Gransnetters are kind and empathetic though - I have had so much comfort and help from those people - I often feel that they put me to shame when they engage so closely with my feelings. Gransnetters in the main are intelligent, thoughtful and caring - in my experience. All we can do is ignore the other sort.

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 11:23:05

You obviously don't follow every thread, Wisewoman. Yes, it does feel like having to deal with naughty children who will do anything to get attention.
Some subjects are just not suitable for 'jocular' remarks.

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 11:25:16

Tegan, I have absolutely no problem with thread drift - it is just like a normal conversation. But if I were discussing a really serious or tragic subject with a friend I would be appalled if she started making a joke about it.

Tegan Sat 20-Apr-13 11:41:54

I know that, Greatnan smile. I think we sometimes have to imagine ourselves actually having a face to face conversation with a group of people in that it does go off at a tangent [we're women; it'swotwedo] but no one would start telling jokes in the middle of a conversation about a disaster of some kind.

Nanban Sat 20-Apr-13 11:44:02

For goodness sake, life is never all disaster and never all joy.

I am curious though as to what set you off to complain? Did we not take seriously enough something you said perhaps? If so, I apologize to have offended you in any way. Sometimes also some of us find it a relief to lighten up a bit, and sometimes the more dire the situation the more necessary that becomes.

j08 Sat 20-Apr-13 12:29:24

This is probably to do with me. It usually is. I don't drink!!!

Greatnan you know how daft your post was. Are you bored?

Galen Sat 20-Apr-13 12:37:35

Probably me as well jingle, Namban I'm completely with you!
In my job I see tragedy all the time.

Ceesnan Sat 20-Apr-13 12:42:58

Is this yet another directive as to how we can post on threads?

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 12:44:17

I can't see the connection between having to deal with tragedy in your job and making jokey comments on a very serious thread on a forum.
If professionals use black humour to cope with some situations, that is hardly comparable to diverting a serious discussion. And I am sure they would keep that kind of humour amongst themselves, which is not the case on an open forum.
No, I don't think my post was daft, jingle, and you know it is not the first time I have made the point.

j08 Sat 20-Apr-13 12:46:56

Just come out and say what/who you are talking about.

Don't just lecture everyone! It sounds pompous for one thing. And silly.

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 12:47:29

Nanban, you have not offended me. I would just like to be able to hold an adult debate on serious subjects without schoolgirl humour derailing it.
Ceesnan - you can post anything you like and I can criticise anything I like.
I am afraid I don't believe people do this because they are traumatised by the subject and if they are they could just avoid the thread.

j08 Sat 20-Apr-13 12:48:46

Where did this come from? confused

Nonu Sat 20-Apr-13 12:53:33

BIG wink Big smile

j08 Sat 20-Apr-13 12:57:22

Ah! Just seen from another thread you are at Granjura's house. You are both chewing the whole week over! And encouraging each other! Lolol!

grin

Greatnan Sat 20-Apr-13 13:02:52

You are quite wrong, jingle. I am here to house sit and look after her pets while they are in England. Do you really think I need back up to post anything? And we don't always agree on every subject, anyway. We are both quite passionate about some things and not afraid to state our opinons (but we always manage to remain courteous).

whenim64 Sat 20-Apr-13 13:04:43

Keep reading Jingle. Ganjura's pets are the only creatures Greatnan has for company! grin

whenim64 Sat 20-Apr-13 13:06:17

Whoops! We posted the same thing Greatnan grin

Nanban Sat 20-Apr-13 13:12:25

This is a serious case of Granny Bashing and I don't even know what started it - what was the serious thread that was so badly disrupted?

Ella46 Sat 20-Apr-13 13:17:39

Greatnan, I totally agree that some posts can be inappropriate on a serious thread, however we aren't naughty children, although some members seem to be attention seekers, and you don't have to deal with us.
I am past being lectured to at my age.