Gransnet forums

AIBU

Referring to inoculations as jabs

(34 Posts)
Eleanorre Mon 22-Apr-13 12:30:55

Every time I hear about the measles epidemic and the reporter talks about getting '' the jab '' it makes my blood boil . How sloppy this reporting is and I hate it. Anyone agree ?

Deedaa Mon 22-Apr-13 22:10:33

Jabs always jars a little with me and so does the word op. Even a small operation is pretty traumatic for the person undergoing it but calling it an op makes it sound so trivial, like having a splinter removed.

Lilygran Mon 22-Apr-13 22:26:31

Well, some of them are inoculations and then there is vaccination and 'jabs' covers both. And people do play down (trivialise) things of great moment in their lives as a way of coping with them.

Joan Tue 23-Apr-13 12:52:04

I can be very pedantic when it comes to the correct or incorrect use of English, but the word 'jab' doesn't worry me: it is just useful shorthand. Come to think of it, I had my tetanus 'jab' a couple of weeks ago and it didn't hurt a bit.

(Gardeners like me really should keep up with their tetanus shots; you only need one every 10 years, but tetanus can be prevented this way. If you do not have this protection, tetanus can kill)

CarolineMary Wed 24-Apr-13 18:27:12

Jabs is four letters. Inoculations and vaccinations are both much longer words.

Short words fit better in headlines. Of course they're going to say jabs.

Ana Wed 24-Apr-13 18:28:09

I expect we'll all be getting our flu jabs this autumn....

Itsokbut Thu 06-Jun-13 10:39:13

Lol. Even with plastic teeth for most of my life, I still can't think of sitting comfortable in a high back reclining chair!

mollie Thu 06-Jun-13 19:30:31

Can't say I'd given it any thought until now but it doesn't bother me. Inoculation and vaccination are hard words to remember and jab seems to do the trick. I can be pedantic at times but I'm ok with this particular substitution.

janthea Fri 07-Jun-13 13:43:56

I can't see any problem with the word 'jab'. After all the needle is 'jabbed' into your arm, or whatever, in the case of inoculations or vaccinations (and yes - I know vaccinations are 'scratches'). As these words tend to be interchangeable these days, 'jab' seems to cover all situations.