Gransnet forums

AIBU

Grandson Won't Talk To Us

(85 Posts)
minstrel Wed 15-May-13 11:19:10

We have a lovely, bright little grandson of 5 years old. Our son and his partner are now living apart and she has met and is to be married to another man next month. Our problem is that our grandson will not acknowledge us at all. He never says hello when he comes into our house or says goodbye when he leaves. I have never had a cuddle from him and have now given up trying. When myself or my husband try to talk to him he completely ignores us. As you can imagine this is very hurtful. His parents have never told him that this is wrong and instead say "its just the way he is". We both feel very rejected. Has anybody else had this experience?

tigger Thu 09-Jul-15 14:11:55

It's quite normal!

NudeJude Thu 09-Jul-15 16:57:08

Unless I've missed it, I notice that no one has asked how the little boy's mother gets on with YOU? Presumably you have him after school for her convenience? If so, how does she treat you when you drop him off or she collects him? If I'm wrong about that, do you have any sort of contact with her, only I get the distinct impression that she's probably bad mouthing you, to him, and possibly even encouraging this behaviour, and it's quite possible that your son is aware of this but doesn't want to stir up a hornets nest for fear of not being allowed to have contact with his son.

leurMamie Thu 09-Jul-15 18:52:19

Oh dear, I really feel for you minstrel. I am also the granny of a 5-year-old and he can be very cheeky indeed but is not allowed by anyone to get away with it. He is good at saying "sorry" when scolded. It really does sound to me - as some others have said - that there are other issues going on here. This poor boy's world is falling apart, and perhaps he is fearful about his stepdad as well. I would imagine the only thing you can do is reassure him that you love him, but I would also insist on manners. His fears and upset feelings are still no excuse to be rude.

I agree with his mum on one thing: no tv during the week! Kids watch it far too much and many even have one in their room...sorry but I'm strictly old-fashioned here. But in any case you are wise - even if you don't agree with that rule - to respect her wishes.

nanakate Thu 09-Jul-15 22:04:42

Just wanted to point out that this thread is two years old and the discussion ran out in May 2013.

Ana Thu 09-Jul-15 22:07:25

I do wish GNHQ would archive threads after a certain date - we keep getting these old threads brought up and in most cases the OP has either long gone or the problem is no more...hmm

Christingle Sun 12-Jul-15 21:57:05

I would try to talk to Mum. It's rude and must hurt you a great deal Sometimes one of my grandsons ignore me, he is three, and I tell him it's very rude behaviour which it is. I would tell your grandson this, and also that you love him and know that times are tough for him. I hope it resolves and your son takes a stand too.

Christingle Sun 12-Jul-15 21:59:02

Oh dear! Why aren't old threads deleted??? ��

Coolgran65 Mon 13-Jul-15 01:13:49

The content within an old thread is still useful to newcomers.smile

abnerbenjamin Fri 31-Jul-15 21:27:13

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.