Gransnet forums

AIBU

Wanting to hold onto our little bit of money?

(61 Posts)
numberplease Fri 17-May-13 17:32:27

Eldest son, child number 4, has just been with his wife and 2 teenage boys. They`ve been to look at a touring caravan that`s for sale, about 6 or 7 years old, £5,500. It`s a good price, but they can`t buy it on their own, they want us to go halves with them. It`s a 6 berth van, twin axle, and is 26 feet long. That`s a hell of a long van compared to our present van, which is about 15 foot, and I`m worried that it`s too long for hubby to tow, he IS 69 now, and he`d be towing, son doesn`t drive, and DIL doesn`t want to tow, they`d be taking their own car as well.
But my main worry is the money. All we have in the world, apart from pension money, is about £3,000, which is earmarked for one of our funerals, still trying to accumulate enough for the other one, if we buy this van with them, that`s virtually all our money gone, we wouldn`t get more than a thousand, if that, for our present van. Hubby seems quite keen on the idea, but it worries me, and I don`t know that I`d want to spend every holiday with them, their youngest boy drives me scranny!

Marelli Sat 18-May-13 19:49:05

Good for you number! sunshine

Deedaa Sat 18-May-13 20:44:24

Good for you number I think he's quite old enough to stand on his own two feet and what sort of example is he setting his boys if he's always relying on his parents?

Stansgran Sat 18-May-13 23:27:55

Looked up the average cost of a funeral £3,200. I suppose we all better get saving

GrannyGear Sun 19-May-13 12:25:44

I don't know enough about caravans to advise on whether this is a good buy, but I notice your husband who will be doing the towing is 69. Have you thought that at 70 he will have get a new driving licence that will not only need renewing every 3 years but won't necessarily have the same list of vehicles that he can drive now.
My own husband came across this when he reached 70. His previous licence allowed hime to drive some category (I forget which) of fairly large vehicle and he was debating whether it was worth paying to keep this on his new licence - I don't think it involved a test but there would have been a payment and possibly a doctor's certificate of fitness to drive - which would also be charged for. He didn't bother as we are not likely to buy a large mobile home in the foreseeable future.

Flowerofthewest Sun 19-May-13 12:49:38

A great big NO!!!!

numberplease Sun 19-May-13 14:18:27

Grannygear, I`d forgotten about that, hope he`ll still be allowed to tow our present van, it`s about 15 or 16 feet long.
Forgot to mention, same son wanted us to sell our house and go in with them on a large bungalow a year or so back, he said we`d not need a mortgage, they`d take that on, we`d just need to sell our house and put that money in as a deposit. Needless to say, we poo-poohed that idea as well!

jeanie99 Sun 19-May-13 16:07:46

Numberplease don't even consider blowing your hard earned money on something that you don't even want.
You really need to speak to your husband about your feelings. You are happy with the van you have and why spend money when you don't need too.
The money you have is for something else and I would tell your son that, he as a bloody cheek(sorry for the language) to expect his father to use this money and to drive him around.

I honestly find it totally unbelievable that a son could be so selfish.

As an adult we should look to ourselves for the things we want or need in life not go running to our parents when life doesn't provide the things we want. He and his wife could find another job to pay for the extras.

Charleygirl Sun 19-May-13 16:12:42

Jeanie99, well expressed and I am sure that many others will agree with every word that you have said.

Stansgran Sun 19-May-13 17:04:21

I hope your nest egg is in a safe place . Might be a good idea to put some of it in an isa. Returns are hopeless at the moment but I would make the money less accessible to your son's vivid imagination. Or premium bonds and you never know you might win.

numberplease Sun 19-May-13 22:38:43

Oh, he can`t get at the money. We wouldn`t be driving him round, his wife does that, in their/her car.