Gransnet forums

AIBU

To use my second name rather than my first?

(29 Posts)
Lilygran Wed 29-May-13 14:54:16

My parents gave me two names but chose to use the second. I've never been addressed by my first name and this has never been a problem until quite recently. Anytime I get tangled in a bureaucratic web, I now get treated as a dubious character with an alias. Latest was a surreal conversation with the doctor's receptionist who has now told me that in order to prove my existence I will have to take her my birth certificate or passport. I've been registered with the practice for over 20 years. Anyone else have this problem? And if so, what do you do about it?

ninathenana Thu 30-May-13 21:17:25

So many of us in the same situation. I get such curious looks when I have to explain.

Passport and birth certificate X Y everything else Y X. Doctors and bank are happy to use my second name. I have never been known by my first name. Even at school my second name was on the register.

baubles Thu 30-May-13 22:06:16

For fifty years I had a birth certificate with no name, just 'Baby Surname'

My parents hadn't decided on a name and had to register my birth within five days. When they eventually decided, the priest refused to baptise me with their choice as my first name so my two names were swapped around. I've always been known by my middle name.

When I was completing the paperwork required to get married the fact of being nameless on my birth certificate became problematic. My mother had to get a copy of my baptism certificate but to further complicate matters, my father had changed his forename completely and his surname slightly.
The poor registrar was somewhat confused and bemused smile

# for my fiftieth birthday my mother presented me with a new birth certificate bearing my names. She had paid a fee to have them added.

POGS Fri 31-May-13 01:30:25

I actually hate my second name.

My Grandmother wanted a boy and I popped out a little girl. As my name 'Would have been' Edward I was given the second name of Edwina' obviously to compensate. I cannot stand that name.

If my family want to annoy me they say, now, now Edwina or now, now Eddie. smile