Gransnet forums

AIBU

To expect decent television

(120 Posts)
Biker Wed 12-Jun-13 04:37:15

I am completely and utterly fed up with re-runs and repeats of shows, series that are older than some religions.
If I see one more space in the schedules given over to 'Only Fools and Horses' I swear my size 10 will go straight through the screen!

PS does anyone know if we are ever going to get the proposed second series of "The No 1 Ladies Detective Agency"? I found the original very refreshing

susieb755 Sat 15-Jun-13 21:55:52

We barely watch TV , use netflix and watch series instead

HildaW Sat 15-Jun-13 22:19:47

Tegan, I don't like that one either, nor Kenneth Branagh's version!

Ana Sat 15-Jun-13 22:35:57

Just discovered 4oD - a bit late to watch The Returned tonight, but I might find time to catch up with this before the second instalment tomorrow!

merlotgran Sat 15-Jun-13 22:40:31

The White Queen starts tomorrow. I enjoyed the book so am hopeful hmm

Tegan Sat 15-Jun-13 22:53:00

I'd forgotten about the Kenneth Branagh version; it was dire. Having missed Broadchurch but then watched it on dvd I think I'll do the same with the Returned, as it was much better watching Broadchurch without the adverts. Hadn't realised The White Queen starts tomorrow. Have been looking forward to that smile. Haven't read the book so don't have great expectations that might be thwarted. Tonight is so bad I've put on a David Bowie dvd. Still, it's Royal Ascot next week [hurrah].

Aka Sat 15-Jun-13 22:55:25

Ana I too have just discovered 4oD and I did watch The Returned earlier tonight, alone in the house too! spooky! hmm
Can't wait for the second part tomorrow night but it clashes with The White Queen. Thank goodness for those back recording thingamys.

numberplease Sat 15-Jun-13 22:56:38

Casualty was the only thing for daughter and myself tonight, now hubby is channel hopping, has stopped on Con Air, I wish I had a pound for every time he`s watched that film!

tammy1351 Sun 14-Jul-13 00:04:59

I can stand soaps and reality shows,the S.O. loves them,therefore I have to watch them.My pet hate is the comic who laces every second word with an obscenity and thinks it funny.O.k.it might after the watershed and I can switch over but what about the young teenagers who aren't in bed and are watching in their bedrooms.Maybe it is time for another Mary Whitehouse.What do others think?????
hmm

whenim64 Sun 14-Jul-13 07:26:07

I remember Mary Whitehouse when I was younger and thought she was a horror, but over the years my view has changed. Rather than censorship per se, I certainly think standards, or a code of conduct, should be re-written. The arbitrary use of a watershed has lost its effect now that telecommunications have advanced. Many more people view programmes via computer, on demand and from recordings, so children are being exposed to much more than they would be all those years ago.

There are some comedians whose use of swear words doesn't bother me, and others who use swear words to be abusive and issue insults, which I don't like.

PRINTMISS Sun 14-Jul-13 08:13:05

It is strange isn't when that some people swear and it does not offend, others make the heckles rise. When I was a child, I was often sworn at, not abused in any way, it was just how we lived. I vowed that I would never swear at my children or indeed not use that sort of language, and I don't, I am not a saint, the words are there, just not spoken. I will not read a book whose first four pages contain the 'F' word, and do not watch TV programmes which I know will offend. I am not going to change the world, just make my corner the way I like it.

Gorki Sun 14-Jul-13 08:30:09

Good for you PRINTMISS. Agree entirely. smile

feetlebaum Sun 14-Jul-13 09:00:30

The Whitehouse woman was a horror... obsession is never pretty. She didn't have to watch things she disliked, yet seemed to think she had a right to stop everybody else from watching them. And as is usually the case, her efforts only served to publicise and popularise the things she railed against.

Joan Sun 14-Jul-13 09:10:48

Oh yes - that reminds me of Lady Chatterley's Lover. Not many of us would have thought of reading DH Lawrence in our early teens, but when it was finally released after all the censorship fuss, we devoured the thing.

Australian TV is abysmal - it went down hill when they got loads of new channels - subsidaries of the regular channels. Waste of time! I love good drama, good cop shows, preferably British or Australian, archaeology, science, good comedy such as Qi and Big Bang Theory, news and current affairs. But what we get in spades, is sport ad nauseam, so-called reality shows, Big Brother, freak shows (ie biggest loser) millions of cooking shows, building shows - honestly, it is a good job we have no telly license here or we'd want our money back.

sunseeker Sun 14-Jul-13 09:11:21

I do think standards have dropped, having said that I would not relish a new Mary Whitehouse figure! Some comedians started swearing because the shock value seemed to raise a laugh. Now the shock value has long gone. I don't watch shows which feature comedians who swear all the time - I don't use that language and don't see why I should have to listen to it in my own home.

I am anti-censorship but think the people who produce TV shows seem to cater for the lowest denominator and forget that most of us like interesting programmes which educate and entertain. Once a certain type of programme becomes popular the airways are saturated with them, cookery, property, "reality", to name a few.

I find I check whats on in the evening and more often than not end up putting on a DVD

henetha Sun 14-Jul-13 11:18:13

I must be too easy to please, I think... cos I like lots of our television programmes and think we are lucky. I agree about too many repeats these days, but always seem to find something enjoyable in the evenings.
Having seen television in some other countries, ours by comparison is excellent!

feetlebaum Sun 14-Jul-13 14:04:01

Several things really grind my gears... those blasted 'continuity announcers' who pipe up as the end music begins on a drama to prattle about some rubbish I'm not the least bit interested in, breaking the mood so skilfully created... it's rude and show contempt for the programme and the viewers, as does that vile habit of zooming out from the cast list, so that you can't see who that actress was you've been waiting almost two hours to identify, and then zooming it back up to size when it has reached the Best Boy and the location caterers. Never mind the comedians, you should hear my invective when that happens.

Then there are the science-oriented programmes... Horizon was good, years ago. Now it's all unnecessary music (I speak as a one-time musician) and fancy camera work. Just tell us the tale, chaps, puh-lease!

feetlebaum Sun 14-Jul-13 14:05:32

Oh, and fire a good percentage of the executives who stink up the programmes - leave it to the talent to make the decisions!

Ella46 Sun 14-Jul-13 15:54:32

Say what you really think feetle! Don't hold back wink

HildaW Sun 14-Jul-13 17:25:41

feetlebaum....I can remember a time (20 -30 years ago) when I only understood about 1 in four Horizon programmes. I don't think I've got any cleverer, yet now they all seem suitable for Blue Peter!
Decent meaty historical or arts based documentaries are very rare too. I did find a couple of excellent ones hiding away on I player last month. Two well argued 'lectures' on Shakespeare, both were a joy to watch, it was such a treat to find myself properly immersed in a subject listening to someone arguing their viewpoint well.

feetlebaum Sun 14-Jul-13 17:25:55

I'll try, Ella, I'll try...

annodomini Sun 14-Jul-13 18:21:57

BBC4 doesn't pander to the lowest common denominator. I know that some would like to axe it because it is a 'minority' channel. I hope that won't happen and that, if they think about dumbing it down, they will have a re-think.

Pittcity Sun 14-Jul-13 19:39:47

I am forever grateful to whoever invented iPlayer. There seems to have always been something on yesterday that I would have liked to watch and nothing on today?? confused

Ana Sun 14-Jul-13 19:51:43

I do so agree with you, feetlebaum, about the mood-breaking continuity announcers...angry

Tegan Sun 14-Jul-13 20:00:56

Yes; I missed the start of what looks like a good series on BBC last night. Good old iplayer. I re watched the progamme on 4 about albums the other night; I quite often rewatch BBC4 programmes anyway because I can't always take it all in first time round. I'd be devastated if they axed BBC4 [or Radio 6] sad.

jeanie99 Tue 16-Jul-13 00:33:37

We don't tend to watch live TV record mostly onto the PVR and skip thru the adverts when we view at a later date.