Gransnet forums

AIBU

To just want to sob?

(133 Posts)
bluebell Mon 17-Jun-13 20:56:17

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2342983/Kate-Middletons-Royal-baby-expected-spark-243m-national-shopping-spree.html

JessM Thu 20-Jun-13 17:46:02

Someone I knew went for an interview as head of maths in a London school. He was very well qualified. They did not appoint so he rang up to enquire why he was unsuitable. His Welsh accent apparently. This was in the 1990s.
So yes, I agree, white UK citizens can experience racism.
I also agree with Bags that a black immigrant to Uk might not experience racism. Depends on what they are doing, where they are doing it and who they are interacting with. A woman I know who is an independent consultant was saying the other day that being african in appearance was actually an advantage at times in her business, because she gets noticed (much more than white men in suits) and people always remember her.
I did know someone who once went on a demo in Oxford against a hairdresser who refused to cut "black" hair - but that was about 45 years ago.

Stansgran Thu 20-Jun-13 18:23:55

There was a time (the 70s) when you couldn't get a teaching job in wales unless you were a native speaker of welsh. In Liverpool there were plenty of welsh teachers. No discrimination in Liverpool .

JessM Thu 20-Jun-13 18:43:10

That was probably because Wales was over-producing teachers at quite a rate back then. "The two main exports of Wales are coal and teachers" as they used to say. I'd still be surprised though stansgran if it applied in areas like West Glamorgan - but not in the north. My mother and step father were both teaching back then, and I never heard them mention that.

annodomini Thu 20-Jun-13 20:01:21

In the 70s and 80s, I worked in three FE colleges of which the principals were all Welshmen.

absent Thu 20-Jun-13 23:30:56

To combine two different parts of this thread, when I commented that people who are not black can also experience racism I was thinking of the Duke of Edinburgh's nasty comment about English students in Asia becoming "slitty eyed" if they stayed too long.

j08 Fri 21-Jun-13 11:45:00

GRANSNET ARE GIVING ROYAL BABY TAT AWAY!!!!

See competitions. hmm grin

bluebell Fri 21-Jun-13 12:04:55

Sob, sob, sob..........