Gransnet forums

AIBU

To just want to sob?

(132 Posts)
bluebell Mon 17-Jun-13 20:56:17

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2342983/Kate-Middletons-Royal-baby-expected-spark-243m-national-shopping-spree.html

Ana Mon 17-Jun-13 21:01:12

A Daily Mail article is hardly worth crying about.

petallus Mon 17-Jun-13 21:11:39

She does look sweet in that pink outfit.

absent Mon 17-Jun-13 21:13:19

I reckon that if new parents buy these horribly naff items, they are not fit to have children in the first place. I also think it unlikely that the whole nation will fling themselves into Champagne parties simply to celebrate the birth of someone else's child. No doubt, many will be pleased at the arrival of a royal sprog and I am sure the papers will be plastered with pictures but an orgy of spending to celebrate?

merlotgran Mon 17-Jun-13 21:14:43

I don't have a problem with harmless events giving some people a huge amount of pleasure. I won't be filling my house with tat but I'll raise a glass of wine because the birth of any baby is a happy occasion.

Elegran Mon 17-Jun-13 21:21:43

The guardsman sleeping suit is rather cute.

I didn't know the palace had an online shop. Good for them - a bit if marketing acumen. If people want to buy it, reasonably tasteful British tat from the palace is better than absolutely horrible stuff from cut-price sweatshops abroad.

Stansgran Mon 17-Jun-13 21:29:30

No doubt Emma Bridgewater will have a christening mug out at a tasteful£19.95.

nanaej Mon 17-Jun-13 21:34:01

Do we know that the Buck House goods are made in UK??
Crazy article trying to make people think they ought to be thinking about a 'wet the baby's head' party and getting the bunting and other party items from Auntie Pip's party tut on-line shop and catalogue.wink

Just to make it clear the BBQ lunch that some of my & DH friends are coming to in July is already arranged and is not because of the royal baby!

gracesmum Mon 17-Jun-13 21:34:17

But nobody is forcing us to buy any of it. (I like the guardsman sleepsuit too!!)

Elegran Mon 17-Jun-13 21:55:58

Nanaej I have searched the site but there is nary a word about the source of their merchandise.

MiceElf Mon 17-Jun-13 22:01:18

I'm puzzled. We all know the DM doesn't tell the truth grin

merlotgran Mon 17-Jun-13 22:02:34

Whaaaaaat???? Isn't she having a baby then?

MiceElf Mon 17-Jun-13 22:07:50

Of course not. It's a prince(ess).

mollie Mon 17-Jun-13 22:18:25

Well I'm not going to spend a penny...will wish them well but that's it!

Nelliemoser Mon 17-Jun-13 22:54:57

Oh! FFS! and that is strong from me. I have never seen anything so pathetic in my life. This bloody celebrity culture. I cannot see how Joe Public is so stupid as to fall for all this tat.

I wish them all well but for Kate and William fans to want to go and buy royal baby commemorative baby clothes.

The world has gone totally mad. Bonkers.
I cannot cope.
Beam me up.
I need to go and lie down in a darkened room to recover.

I do note though its in the Daily Mail. wink

moon moon

j08 Mon 17-Jun-13 22:57:20

They've hopeful. Seems to me the shops still have stuff left over from last year's jubilee celebrations. How do they know how much people will spend on this rubbish?!

whenim64 Mon 17-Jun-13 23:13:34

There, there nellie. It will all be over soon, and you can look forward to thousands of children being given the royal name as they enter this barmy world! grin

nightowl Mon 17-Jun-13 23:18:55

But it won't be over will it when? We will have to face daily reports of every breath the royal prince/ess takes, it's first steps, it's first words, and so on and so on until we all go completely and utterly mad. And then they will have another one, and Harry will get married, and it will never ever end. Can I come into your darkened room Nellie?

absent Tue 18-Jun-13 02:14:51

Perhaps the Daily Mail is making the absurd suggestion that the general public will spend vast sums of money on commemoratives and Champagne in the hope of sparking a recovery from what is a triple dip recession in all but name. And, of course, we all know that pensioners are a) devoted to the royals, b) soppy about babies and c) vastly overpaid what with fuel allowances, free prescriptions and bus passes, so come on ladies - YOUR COUNTRY NEEDS YOU! Do your duty and buy lots of pairs of "tractor-themed baby shoes". Perhaps royal babies are smart enough to be able to walk from birth but they won't be of any use to non blue blood babies so maybe you should go for the children's leather caps instead. Super!

Nelliemoser Tue 18-Jun-13 08:04:22

nightowl You are most welcome as long as you promise not to hoot all night! wink

whenim64 Tue 18-Jun-13 08:21:01

Bring on the Republic, the sooner the better!

nightowl Tue 18-Jun-13 08:27:23

Do you think the royals are taking a leaf out of the middletons' book? Seeing how much party pieces has raked in and all that.

Nellie wink (that's an owl wink btw]

JessM Tue 18-Jun-13 08:47:09

Asda will probably be doing the same kind of thing at a third of the cost. Not worth getting worked up about.
And DM etc not that good at predicting future. DE declared confidently yesterday that today and tomorrow were going to be heat waves soaring into the "80s and 90s" (note the use of old measuring system)
BBC weather predicting low 20s.

j08 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:33:24

Is n' t a new baby always a source of enjoyment? Why should n' t we share in this one? It will make a lovely change from so much bad news.

j08 Tue 18-Jun-13 09:35:18

You don't have to buy all or any of the junk that will be on sale. But the smiley pictures in the media will be good.sunshine