Gransnet forums

AIBU

Staff chatting in shop

(57 Posts)
Grindos Sat 22-Jun-13 22:12:13

There is a greengrocers in our nearby shops who sell their own local produce, which is great. However, the staff need some simple customer service training. Last week I walked in and the two women staff were having a conversation and ignored me. I went over to the display of eggs and was looking at the prices of different ones. They were still talking. I picked up a dozen and walked over to pay for them. I suppose I waited 10 seconds before one of them came over and took my money, still talking to the other woman. As I was leaving, I said,"Sorry to interrupt your chat," and she said, "Oh that's OK, you could have joined in." Another time, I was overcharged about £4 and another time I was given change for £20 instead of the £10 I gave her. Both times they were talking the whole time they were serving me. Should I write a note to the owner of the shop and suggest he speak to them, or should I grin and bear it, or go to the nearby Co-op instead?

Movedalot Sun 23-Jun-13 10:14:35

Our market apparently went years ago and is now Waitrose. I heard on the radio the other day that the reason Wairose's market share has gone up more than the major supermarkets is that they have ditched the image of being more expensive than the others.

If I felt the staff in a shop were rude or inattentive I would stop shopping there if there was an alternative option.

Greatnan Sun 23-Jun-13 11:05:28

I think French markets would give UK Environmental Health Officers heart attacks. Cheese, cooked meat, raw meat, cakes.....all on open stalls with no cover whatsoever. They don't seem to be any cheaper than the shops either and I am not convinced that all their goods are home grown or locally sourced.

gracesmum Sun 23-Jun-13 11:41:02

If only the little shops were in fact busy enough for the queues vegasmags refers to, and as for "meaningless chit chat" - that's what I call conversation, or human interaction or whatever you might like to call it! For many people living alone it might be their only contact on that day and a bit of friendliness can make the world go round. On the plus side for the better supermarkets, I find that the check out assistants in Waitrose are unfailingly (OK there was once a lapse) polite and friendly. The Sixth form lads are great - one is always greeted, asked if help is needed and often we have a chat about university or A level options as long as there is not a queue building up. There should be room for both which is why I think the WI suggestion is not unreasonable. From an economy point of view it makes more sense to ask for the exact amount you need instead of going with the prepacked usual 4 or 6 (if fruit, 2 of which will inevitably be bruised or go soft). I take the point about buggies in shops, but it is possible on the occasions I have shopped in Moseley with DGS (can't manage the double buggy, size of a small family car) but I also remember the nightmare of shopping at Sainsbury's when ours were babies. It was in the Arndale centre in Wandsworth and the carpark was on the floors above so you had to take the (full) trolley up to the car in the lift, and then, because there were no trolley parks, you had to take the empty trolley (plus baby) back down to the shop in the lift and then back up to the car.

gracesmum Sun 23-Jun-13 11:42:47

I meant "then go back to the car)- remembering the baby of course!

vegasmags Sun 23-Jun-13 11:46:34

Sorry gracesmum but I'm the sort of person who would always prefer to use an ATM than go in the bank to cash a cheque! Wouldn't do for us all to be the same, would it?

MargaretX Sun 23-Jun-13 11:57:05

There are farmers markets in all towns in Germany which have survived - according to me- because they never opened their stalls to people selling cheap tatty teeshirts and 3-day old cauliflowers. The market is not expected to be cheaper in Germany, quite the opposite. We want the open air markets to survive.

There are no safety problems, the meat, cheese and fish are sold from ice cold trays and there is a glass front so that customers don't breathe on the stuff. Of course there is electricity laid on in the Market sqare but that is not a problem these days.
Many gransnetters complain about assistants talking but in Germany they serve you with just a Guten Tag and some eye contact. You may find them cold and unfriendly. They don't chat in Aldi but they have started to smile bit in these last few years.
I wouldn't buy in shop where they just chatted to each other. This happened to me in London in M&S.

nanaej Sun 23-Jun-13 12:29:27

I think High Sts need a balance..supermarkets and popular chain shops are important to attract 'footfall' and small independent shops welcome this.

I think the issue is when the supermarkets are out of town so nobody goes to the High St. We are lucky to have butcher, fish monger greengrocer plus independent clothes & gift shops along with the banks, estate agents, pubs, cafes & the ubiquitous charity shops and some otheer High St shops (e.g. Boots/Waterstones). Waitrose and Sainsbury plus Homebase and Pets at Home all within walking distance of each other on the High St.

I think it is important to maintain High Sts as they can be the focal point for the community and create a sense of belonging. I don't want to feel I belong to Tesco!

nanaej Sun 23-Jun-13 12:30:50

p.s. Vegas I was not being rude..sorry if it felt like that.. we all like different things and that's OK!

j08 Sun 23-Jun-13 12:32:07

Agree Aaron. Out of town ones are the worse culprits.

j08 Sun 23-Jun-13 12:33:49

Nanaej! Not whatever Fire said!

vegasmags Sun 23-Jun-13 12:41:32

nanaj - absolutley no offence taken! I am off to Las Vegas in September to play some poker - now there's a town that knows about customer service (as long as you have the money to pay for it!) grin

KatyK Sun 23-Jun-13 15:11:59

I can remember one particular local shop when I was a kid. Smoked bacon being sliced, butter out of a tub, being patted into shape by the shopkeeper. Loose biscuits out of big square tins - always hoping you would be served when he opened a new tin so the biscuits would not be soft. Brown paper bags. Bags of Oxo crisps.... I do like the convenience of supermarkets though.

nanaej Sun 23-Jun-13 15:13:48

I have a good pal who loves Vegas. She was very happy her daughter chose to marry there. I would have been sad! I have only been to NYC in the US so the joy of Vegas is yet to be for me but I would like to go to see the spectacle!

NfkDumpling Sun 23-Jun-13 17:42:27

Las Vegas is everything I disapprove of - and it's wonderful. Love it! My advantage is that I've never been able to figure out this gambling lark so just get to see the free shows.
Once when we perched at a bar for a drink we were asked if we were using the poker machines - seven different games. I can hardly master one!

annodomini Sun 23-Jun-13 18:20:02

Our local grocer's was just like yours KatyK. I would drop my mother's order in in the way to school once a week and in the afternoon the box of groceries was waiting on the back doorstep. Great service.

numberplease Sun 23-Jun-13 18:26:00

Nearly every shop in our town that have closed have reopened as phone shops, surely they can`t ALL be making a profit?

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 18:56:24

I'm actually after a new phone. Any recommendations?

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 18:56:57

Mobile that is.

j08 Sun 23-Jun-13 19:17:20

definitely this one aka

J52 Sun 23-Jun-13 19:17:43

I really object to shop staff having personal conversations with each other when serving me. Worst, was recently in Debenhams. The assistant taking my purchases was describing to another assistant, the stomach complaint that she had been off with, the day before! I thoroughly washed my hands when I got home! Aka:
Mobile phones, an I phone, car phone warehouse do great deals. Then you can gransnet wherever you are!!(smile) x

HUNTERF Sun 23-Jun-13 19:30:42

I do agree it is rude for shop staff to carry on with personal conversations when customers are waiting.
When I was at university in Cardiff I had a part time job in Sainsbury's and I almost regretted telling a customer I did Business Studies at Cardiff University.
Every time he came in he wanted a chat about what I was studying and sometimes a little chat about football.
I did not want to be rude but it could be a bit annoying if I was busy or had customers waiting.

Frank

Reddevil3 Sun 23-Jun-13 21:19:44

I remember shopping with my grandmother once when I was about 10.
When we went into Woolworth's, all the staff were chatting behind the counter and in a very imperious voice she said, "Excuse me my dear, but do you work here?" It must have made a great impression on me because I remember it a good 60 years later!

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 22:12:40

Wonderful J0 I'll order one for each handbag.

susieb755 Sun 23-Jun-13 22:14:27

You should all come to Bridport...... briliant butchers shops. independent bakeries, fruit and veg shops, fish shops, lovely wide pavements, absolutely fantastic hat shop, amazing flea market and food market on Saturdays and loads of lovely quirky shops, West Bay and the sea a mere 2 miles away, and some of the friendliest people in the world, home to PJ Harvey and Billy Bragg nearby, with Martin Clunes up the road past Beaminster

Despite all this the town also boasts a co op. Morrison, lidl, and waitrose, and all co exist quite happlily

Aka Sun 23-Jun-13 22:16:45

Once we waited so long between courses that I actually phoned the restaurant we were sitting in and gave orders for dessert over the phone. They insisted they didn't deliver, so we all stood up and waved and explained that we were still actually on site.