Gransnet forums

AIBU

Staff chatting in shop

(57 Posts)
Grindos Sat 22-Jun-13 22:12:13

There is a greengrocers in our nearby shops who sell their own local produce, which is great. However, the staff need some simple customer service training. Last week I walked in and the two women staff were having a conversation and ignored me. I went over to the display of eggs and was looking at the prices of different ones. They were still talking. I picked up a dozen and walked over to pay for them. I suppose I waited 10 seconds before one of them came over and took my money, still talking to the other woman. As I was leaving, I said,"Sorry to interrupt your chat," and she said, "Oh that's OK, you could have joined in." Another time, I was overcharged about £4 and another time I was given change for £20 instead of the £10 I gave her. Both times they were talking the whole time they were serving me. Should I write a note to the owner of the shop and suggest he speak to them, or should I grin and bear it, or go to the nearby Co-op instead?

annodomini Sun 23-Jun-13 22:39:41

What a good move, Aka. Did you get your food? Or have they banned you?

LizG Sun 23-Jun-13 23:38:47

I live in a small town which still manages to sport : Tescos; Morrisons; ASDA; Lidl and shortly Aldi. There just is no room for the little local shop sadly so it would be impossible to do the WI thing and spend £5 to keep the highstreet alive. We do have a market but rarely does the money spent at this help towards regenerating the town.

Many of us tried to fight the planning authority but how could we compete with offers of new halls, planted sitting areas in the town centre and town centre car parking.

When it comes to politeness in the supermarkets ASDA has my vote they seem to know how to 'treat the customer right'. Remember 'The Customer is King'.

Aka Mon 24-Jun-13 12:29:06

Anno we got our food and free coffee too. It was the staff night out so we were quite a crowd. But no need to ban us, we all gave the place a miss after such awful service.

Stansgran Mon 24-Jun-13 13:08:20

But j08 is it washable? I've just laundered my DH'smobile and he is one unhappy bunny. I'm off to buy him a new one nowish.

GadaboutGran Wed 26-Jun-13 15:16:15

I often go into our local shop & buy the papers without the assistant giving any eye contact or coming off their mobile phone. I've had some lovely conversations with the M&S foodstore check-out staff

annodomini Wed 26-Jun-13 15:36:56

Yes, Stansgran, my HTC phone was definitely not machine-washable. blush