Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want to see my daughter and granddaughter

(65 Posts)
Otw10413 Sun 23-Jun-13 08:05:54

Does anyone know how to cope with estrangement from a much loved and adored GC. At aged 1 she named me, she carries my name but my daughter has decided that 'we're done' so I have not seen her beautiful face, heard her voice or held her since we holidayed with her and then I looked after her while her Mum was ill. I love my daughter and miss her so much ( she would ring me several times a day ) and whilst I do understand her hurt from the divorce ( 15 +years ago) , I really have no idea what it is that we have done that she would so suddenly separate us from our adored GD . My sisters ,who saw me with my GD just before this happened , are trying to connect with them but they are as helpless because she refuses to communicate. The pain,well frankly my husband cannot remember what my face looked like , my eyes are permanently swollen and damp and I work with children all of the time , so my lower lip is covered with bites in an effort to stem the tears when a child does something that reminds me of her . I simply cannot believe that the girl I raised, who lovingly welcomed us to her home and life feels that it is a good thing to do for anyone concerned . Estrangement should be something that people avoid in families at all costs (unless there has been abuse) . I was taught never let the sun set on an argument , a lesson I thank my mother for but I honestly do not know how to look forward when the large black hole of grief seems to overshadow every thought, hope and waking ( and sleeping) moment .

j08 Wed 26-Jun-13 21:18:56

Thank you Greatnan. smile

j08 Wed 26-Jun-13 21:19:23

confused

Ana Wed 26-Jun-13 21:21:30

I'm certainly glad, jingl! smile

Otw10413 Wed 26-Jun-13 23:12:55

To all of you good folk ,so many kind people , I thank you. I look at the faces of strangers now and realise again and again that there is no 'normal' family , instead there are human families . You , here, who are suffering like me, have taken time to support me I have nothing positive to report except I haven't cried for 36 hours but have sighed at the pain shared by so many of us and have felt less alone , thank you . My husband is a wise man who keeps telling me that I and you out there, have to be strong and fit for that day when we can reconnect with those we love .
I wish you all peace in your heads and hearts .

Otw10413 Fri 19-Jul-13 09:53:10

Dear All,
I have spent the last three days, holding my breath as I received a stream of photos of my beautiful grand-daughter - and now I've received pictures of by beloved daughter's new home . Finally she began e-mailing , and I hardly need to tell you how much of a difference it makes to a life . I can't say where it will lead but I'm not putting any question to her that she could say no to so I'm hopeful that we can keep the channels open for communication as and when she feels she can . This website is such a support but I do feel this 21st century pain needs exposure . There isn't a church society to explain the wrongs in life ; we need to publicise these silent tragedies !
I send more support to you all out there who hear nothing from those you love , and wish you titanium strength to deal with the helplessness it brings .
sunshine

whenim64 Fri 19-Jul-13 10:51:37

Lovely news, otw. I'm so pleased for you. I hope things continue to get better. This is looking optimistic flowers

Ariadne Fri 19-Jul-13 11:30:58

Happy for you, otw sunshine

Nanban Fri 19-Jul-13 12:37:04

Patience and understanding has paid off!!!!! Well done you, I am so very pleased. Small steps but in the best of directions. xxxx

annodomini Fri 19-Jul-13 12:38:56

Lovely to hear that you are heading in the right direction, otw. Good luck for future contacts. flowers

Mishap Fri 19-Jul-13 12:46:13

Such good news. This is your moment to "play it cool" and not, as you rightly say, go overboard with all the questions you must be truly dying to ask. Just keep the love flowing gently (not to drown them) and one day she will be ready to talk about it. I will think of you.

moomin Fri 19-Jul-13 14:52:02

I've just read through this thread, felt so sad for those grandparents denied contact and irritated at the odd crass remark - but what good news for you otw, I hope the future continues to look bright sunshine

j08 Fri 19-Jul-13 15:09:09

Lovely to hear it's l turning out well.

Did your daughter quite suddenly, out of the blue, start sending you the photos or did you have to contact her? You don't have to say of course,but it would be interesting to have some feedback on the advice given. smile

Again, glad things are getting better.

Otw10413 Sat 20-Jul-13 09:04:07

Thank you all for all the good wishes; the e-mailed photo was completely out of the blue; I say that but it's so strange because they ( missing loved ones) are in your thoughts all of the time and then when they materialise it is so hard to believe! I heard your wise advice mishap and my dear daughter is sharing her life with me via e-mail. Her change of heart was as unpredictable as her enacting the exile . I am managing the hope quietly with my husband begging me not to expect us to return to the happy state we had before instead , he says I should aim for a gentle and slow reconciliation . You lot are a fantastic support but somehow this tragedy of the lost generation of grandparents needs airing ; thanks but hope for all of you who have not yet had a positive development . flowers

Minty Sat 20-Jul-13 09:31:16

Otw10413,
That is great news, as already has been said, easy does it, the past is just that,the past, it is now and the future that is important. The rebuilding of a meaningful relationship between you has started.
As you say this situation needs to be out there for others to understand and I for one hope I am doing just that.
I look forward to hearing more news from you.
I have had contact in the last month with 4 other grandparents who are beginning their own steady journey of being reunited.