Gransnet forums

AIBU

Stupid Suggestions

(45 Posts)
FlicketyB Sat 13-Jul-13 21:51:39

Why do ebay and Amazon have to follow up every purchase you have made with suggestions of identical purchases based on what other people like you bought?

I have just bought a second hand wardrobe on ebay. At the bottom of the page acknowledging that I had paid for the item was a random selection of furniture that 'other people had bought' and a selection of about another dozen wardrobes that might 'inspire me'

Buy a book or CD from Amazon and they automatically assume that you will want to make the further purchases based on what other people who bought that book/CD bought next so they are all listed together with every other book the author ever wrote including the one you have just bought in the hardback version and its translation into serbo-croat. None of them are remotely relevant to your taste in books/music.

Why can't they ajust ccept your order graciously, thank you for shopping with them and hope to see you again and stop making stupid suggestions for further purchases.

FlicketyB Sat 13-Jul-13 22:04:31

Sorry, 'just accept' not 'ajust ccept'

Greatnan Sat 13-Jul-13 22:39:23

I get an email from Amazon most days, telling me the wonderful things they have found for me. I don't want to put them in spam as I do order things for my family and might need to hear from them. I agree, it can be infuriating.

Ana Sat 13-Jul-13 22:54:03

I just delete the emails. I don't get furious, or even annoyed.

ninathenana Sat 13-Jul-13 23:05:45

I got very annoyed with Amazon this week when they delivered an item that as far as I'm concerned I had only viewed. I'm convinced I didn't agree to purchase. I don't even know which card they've charged it too !!

Their follow up e-mails are a pain but I don't open them just delete.

FlicketyB Sun 14-Jul-13 08:30:21

Oddly enough the purely promotional mailing emails I can cope with, as several people said you can delete those. The emails that really irritate me are the emails you need to read because they confirm a payment, or are from the seller with delivery details or on the Home page next time you visit the site. I think it is also how these items are labelled;' 'Other people that bought (book/CD) also bought.......'. Why should I want to buy something just because someone else has?

petallus Sun 14-Jul-13 08:35:09

I buy a lot from Amazon but never get promotional emails. You can probably unsubscribe from them.

FlicketyB Sun 14-Jul-13 08:35:32

As I came out of my last posting and went back to the 'Last Day' listing. A banner advert went across the top of the Gransnet page advertising, you guessed it, furniture.

Gransnet obviously have a cookie that scans our internet searches and puts up appropriate adverts.

So Geraldine please note. I have just bought a second hand wardrobe. My furniture requirements for the foreseeable future are now met. I have no interest in buying new oak furniture.

Bags Sun 14-Jul-13 08:36:11

I think my "ignore that" gene must be dominant as I never notice anything further than that there is some blether about what other people have bought.

You can unsubscribe from follow-up emails, e.g. those asking for a review.

Aka Sun 14-Jul-13 08:36:52

I like these suggestions and have often found something more suitable by following the 'trail'. Just delete unwanted emails, etc. not worth getting upset about .

Bags Sun 14-Jul-13 08:37:47

Re the furniture ad: it's not about you, flickety. Gransnet has thousands of members.

annodomini Sun 14-Jul-13 09:33:22

I don't get banner ads on Gransnet, probably thanks to Adblock+.

Nelliemoser Sun 14-Jul-13 09:35:12

Different people seem to get different banner headlines flashing past though. I think there was discussion of that earlier.

MargaretX Sun 14-Jul-13 10:50:22

to unsubscribe to any sort of mail or newsletter you have to scroll right down to the bottom of the pages and there in tiny print is 'unsubscribe'
or 'cancel newsletter.'

Then you ckick and get another page where you tick a box and hope that they really take you off. I once spent a good hour on the computer and unsubscribed to about 20 web sites. Most have kept to the agreement but not all. I get fewer mails now.

henetha Sun 14-Jul-13 10:57:04

These follow ups are mildly irritating, but just ignore or delete them.
There are more important things to worry about.

What drives me mad??? - slow drivers!

gracesmum Sun 14-Jul-13 10:57:04

I was hugely entertained by offers on garden sheds after posting "50 Sheds of Grey" ] a while ago.grin

whenim64 Sun 14-Jul-13 11:01:25

grin

HUNTERF Sun 14-Jul-13 12:05:39

Amazon is not always the cheapest.
I got a printer / scanner / photocopier from my local shop for about £5 less than Amazon.
The shop had reduced it because it was going out of production.
The gent in the shop did say that if it went wrong in guarantee he could only refund the money and not replace it.
The printer is now over 3 years old and I would have taken the same risk with Amazon.

Frank

Bags Sun 14-Jul-13 13:40:28

I mainly get the mumsnet academy ad. Maybe I don't use enough trigger words.

FlicketyB Sun 14-Jul-13 13:59:00

Sorry, these are not emails you can unsubscribe from. I've done that. It is the ones on the Home page when you next go into any given site and the one's they put at the bottom of important emails you need to read, like confirmations that you were successful in a purchase on ebay, or that payment has gone through.

It is the headings that irritate me, why should I be tempted to buy a book because someone else bought it, or be 'inspired' to buy another wardrobe because I have just bought one?

I have a bad habit of skim reading emails and missing key info and the ebay emails containing key information relating to a purchase are so scattered with colour and blocks that I tend to scan them very carefully in case I miss a key line of text in ordinary almost invisible text. I did do that once and got a black mark for not completing a purchase I thought had been aborted.

wisewoman Sun 14-Jul-13 17:40:37

Ah, but Frank if you buy something from Amazon their follow up service is brilliant and you can buy without any anxiety. Can't say the same for large electrical stores. Maybe you were just lucky with your printer. I have had a couple of problems with things from Amazon and they were sorted out almost immediately. As a result it is usually my first port of call (though of course I feel guilty about bookshops and high street shops blush

annodomini Sun 14-Jul-13 18:19:02

I got a great printer from Amazon at a hugely reduced price because it was 'used'. It had actually been a display model in a store and had never printed anything. It has served me well for around four years.

Mishap Sun 14-Jul-13 20:05:35

I once bought a Shewee (device for ladies to pee standing up) and amazon sugested that I might alos love some wooden tent pegs! - the mind boggles!

Bags Sun 14-Jul-13 20:15:13

Because when you are camping is when a shewee is useful.

Bags Sun 14-Jul-13 20:16:09

I'm talking about wild camping, not camp grounds with shower blocks sort of camping.